Forum > Value Added Services > DStv Catch Up > CU, CU+ and Broadcast Dolby 5.1 on-going issues
Old 2017-03-13 , 12:32
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheppy34 View Post
So basically the Catch Up guys are a bunch of rookies that don't know what they are doing and the guys from live TV are the pros who actually knows a thing or two, but don't communicate much or help the CU guys get it right.
I doubt that, the whole service is too pro involved and the team is not new.
My opinion is that it's possibly the supplying studios not bothering enough, long story why (also explained in the past), simply put they're not mad about CU. But I don't know, just guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheppy34 View Post
Thanks for the info, but it still doesn't explain to me how the CU guys get it so wrong loading that same content on to CU+?
If it is them fouling up...

Hopefully the Mods will explain well enough now, this clearly needed some degree of comprehensive feedback long ago.
Old 2017-03-13 , 16:39
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

@Optimist: thanks for chiming in.

My thought would have been though that once something is received, that the same source file (for want of a better word) would be used for each of the multiple vectors of delivery, transcoding to other file types, sizes, wrappers and resolutions as needed.

If this be the case, then there is again no excuse, as sound should not be affected, nor should the volume and panning on each channel be changed. There is obviously a serious lack of technical know-how or quality control. Or there is a serious fault in the work-flow to get a single title out to each delivery option.

It has been a very long time, with no proper feedback, or solution. Sadly, in the mean time, we are missing something that is part of a paid for package, and something that is actively advertised by MC.

The odd technical issue aside (as these are the norm more than the exception), this is a really poor show. At the very least, it seems not enough QA is being performed at each stage...
Old 2017-03-13 , 17:18

Hi Andrew, not the way I understood it at the time. Although it sounds impractical to us it really did appear that there is no sharing, even of any source material.
Again I put it down to studio control oddities.
Doubt we'll get to learn more about this deeper detail as only Nic ever discussed it. And it's certainly possible that I'm wrong.
Old 2017-03-13 , 17:35

Thanks again though.
I would tend to agree with you saying there is no sharing, going by the way things seem to be "not" happening.

As for studios, it would be great to have a decent explanation. I would think it negatively impacts the overall perception of a studios work, if they don't assist with a decent source file.

We can only hope someone bothers to stay on top of this. As you say. only Nic would explain things and roll-heads.
Old 2017-03-17 , 21:40

Add Pure Genius to the list that was not checked, and not encoded correctly with 5.1 sound

Does MC realise we download these, under the impression, from the EPG, that these do have 5.1??

Perhaps it's time some head rolled?
Old 2017-03-18 , 11:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Although it sounds impractical to us it really did appear that there is no sharing, even of any source material.
Again I put it down to studio control oddities.
There's a further clue in the info in post #4 of Service myths and misconceptions

Quote:
There is a CEO for each of these businesses with a leadership team and they report their financials separately, they have different strategic plans, pay tax separately and own separate broadcasting licenses (where relevant).
Suggests that CU may be operating as a separate business entity, and that the studios could indeed be mucking around with such "of lesser interest to them" commitments.
As touched on earlier, we were told that CU is not a studios favourite...
Technical issues could also be adding to this, but I can't see how they could be only responsible for this length of time.
I've been trying to understand the bigger picture with a number of issues in this madly complex industry for about 15 years, some of it is only starting to make sense now. We have to keep our eyes wide open and ears to the ground

But it's not something MC are going to discuss in any detail in public then as the important studio relations will be sensitive and bound by some secrecy.

I don't for a moment believe that MC aren't seriously attending to whatever the problem is in the best way they can, it's a highly important part of the service. There's been a lot of effort over the last few months to sort out a number of issues properly now. But I think this one's going to take quite a while longer.
Nevertheless, I absolutely agree that the title's details (not actually the EPG in this case) must be kept accurate re whatever realities are going on.

BTW, if you post in that other thread just note that the discussions section is not monitored as regularly by MC, it's more for our own discussion use.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-03-22 at 12:05. . Reason: Deeper thinking
Old 2017-03-18 , 16:46

Add MacGyver to the list of things we download that aren't encoded properly.
The mess grows...
Old 2017-03-18 , 19:34

Andrew, I was going to suggest the obvious that you avoid CU and just stick to using recordings for now, but I see in another thread that you discovered similar 5.1 audio problems with the Bond movies on live broadcast TV.

That's now pure incompetence by the M-Net group, again, IMO there's no excuse for that lack of sufficient organising / QA by a mature company. Why do you keep shooting yourselves in your own foot and ruining everyone's usage??

I also saw aspect ratio stretching problems with one of the 4 Bond doccies, and with some movies with the previous pop-up channel. Nonsense for a well experienced group in the AR regard!

I will make sure that the group's senior Mod sees this post.
Old 2017-03-18 , 20:37

Thanks for the reply, Optimist.
If it were possible to just use recordings (I've tried) then I would use that, for now, while they expedite sorting out the mess. But this has been months now. The previous Harry Potter channel had surround issues, the Bond one did too. Their CU, CU+ (where most things now live, as not much is sent to the PVR), and broadcast. All are a total, utter mess.

The mods on the other forum haven't bothered to answer my post. Either because they're not bothered about this problem, or don't actually understand it.

I wonder what Dolby Labs would be saying having their logo attached to items that actually did not comply with what was advertised? I know when I have produced commercial works, they were very strict.

Thanks for notifying the Senior Mod. I'm basically just posting names of things on here, in the hopes now that someone who cares for customers more than just getting more and more money from us, will actually bother to do something. It's over SIX MONTHS now, and things are getting worse, not better.

Honestly, it's a rather pathetic show in the side of MC and MNet, and I can understand why more and more people are moving away.
Old 2017-03-18 , 20:52

Yep, the focused CU Mod won't be able to help with M-Net etc. live TV issues and visa versa. Most of them also aren't usually here after hours.
EDIT: Your other post was "answered", with a question, doesn't look like it was understood as we both thought.

I think it's probably best with what we do understand to make separate reports for live TV issues, although I'm only really aware of ch. 109 issues and haven't seen a lot beyond it posted of late.

I'll have to be out of it further, lots of work... :-/

Regards
Brian

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-03-19 at 07:18. . Reason: See EDIT