Forum > Value Added Services > DStv Catch Up > CU, CU+ and Broadcast Dolby 5.1 on-going issues
Old 2017-01-04 , 22:23
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Hi andrewgerm

Sorry to keep you waiting. The tech team is still looking into this issue and conducting further investigation. Feedback to follow once received.
Old 2017-01-06 , 16:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
So I'm told that there seems to be an issue with the transcoding of titles in the VOD automation system (the technical response). The team have asked for a change to be made in the course of next week that will correct this problem. Thanks for your patience and understanding.
Your Quality Control is a disgrace and your Technical Team should all be fired. Or maybe they should be sent back to school. Do you really expect your customers to pay R1000 a month for this level of service? Don't rush to upload titles without checking the quality of EACH title first. Give us what we pay for. Not this rubbish.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
Old 2017-01-06 , 22:41

Hi Ermeric1

We understand your frustrations . The team has been made aware and your issues have been noted. We'll post feedback once received.
Old 2017-01-07 , 20:25
Watches YouTube a lot!

@MC Pamela: Thank you for keeping us updated. But these updates have been coming for a few months now. My first post on this was September or October last year.

I agree with Ermeric1. What is being paid, and what is advertised, do not match up with the quality of the service. Not by a long shot. It's not difficult to check things. The technical team have been "investigating" for months now. And many people on the forum are upset about the poor quality control resulting in a broken end product.

It's not difficult to check things before they to up. Even if you all insist on making this an automated process. Worst case, someone can check things on a decoder and immediately exchange the faulty file for a proper, working one.

Somewhere in the whole process, someone is making far too many excuses...
Old 2017-03-08 , 09:11
Knows how to use a remote

It seems that normal catchup items is also now not Dolby 5.1. One such series I've noticed is Suits.

How can the live broadcast have Dolby 5.1 but the same title on catchup not have surround sound? How can you screw that up?

I've also downloaded a title, Aftermath and Childhood's End on catchup plus the other day, for the first time in a while and just to check if anything changed, and low and behold it still doesn't have surround sound.

That is the main reason why I don't use catch up plus. You can have the best picture quality in the world, but when the sound is poor it's just a waste to watch. It's really like you guys just don't give a damn about it.

This thread has been going on for months now with the problem still present and every time we get replies of "The tech team is still looking into this issue and conducting further investigation. Feedback to follow once received." and still we are waiting on any feedback or improvement.

You guys are light years behind good quality service and supplying us content in the best possible format to view. That just makes me mad, especially if I look at how much I'm paying every month for this mediocre service. Maybe if you had more competition then you will eventually do something about is, but yea we all know that's not going to happen any time soon.

Sorry for the rant, but I just had to get that of my chest.

So please MC way is this still an issue????
Dual LNB on 90cm dish, Explora PVR (Primary) + Explora PVR (Secondary) + UEC 4 Tuner HD PVR (Spare, Not Connected), XV Activated, LG 47" LED tv + LG LED projector connected via hdmi to pvr's, Samsung surround sound connected via optical.
Old 2017-03-12 , 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheppy34 View Post
It seems that normal catchup items is also now not Dolby 5.1. One such series I've noticed is Suits.

How can the live broadcast have Dolby 5.1 but the same title on catchup not have surround sound? How can you screw that up?

I've also downloaded a title, Aftermath and Childhood's End on catchup plus the other day, for the first time in a while and just to check if anything changed, and low and behold it still doesn't have surround sound.

That is the main reason why I don't use catch up plus. You can have the best picture quality in the world, but when the sound is poor it's just a waste to watch. It's really like you guys just don't give a damn about it.

This thread has been going on for months now with the problem still present and every time we get replies of "The tech team is still looking into this issue and conducting further investigation. Feedback to follow once received." and still we are waiting on any feedback or improvement.

You guys are light years behind good quality service and supplying us content in the best possible format to view. That just makes me mad, especially if I look at how much I'm paying every month for this mediocre service. Maybe if you had more competition then you will eventually do something about is, but yea we all know that's not going to happen any time soon.

Sorry for the rant, but I just had to get that of my chest.

So please MC way is this still an issue????
Hi All

I've requested the CU team to advise on the matter, as it was raised before and they confirmed it was resolved. Your concerns and queries have been forwarded to the team, awaiting their feedback.
Old 2017-03-12 , 22:54
Watches YouTube a lot!

Yup, the problem persists. Although I've not bothered with a lot due to other work I've had. But right now I'm watching ep 4 of MacGyver, and it's messed up.

I have another post on the broadcast forum, about the Bond channel. However no one deemed that important enough to answer. Titles on there had a sort of 5.1 soundtrack, but the channels, volumes, and panning were so messed up that those were not watchable. I posted early enough to have those rectified before rebroadcast, but I guess no one saw or checked.

With everything moving to CU+ now, and so little sent to the actual PVR (I still have Explora 1s here, with larger HDDs) this means time downloading titles (meaning that the Internet line is saturated). Large files chew away at soft caps on accounts. And then once those have been downloaded, it is again a mess.

The issue, as reported by any and all in the various departments who deal with CU, CU+, broadcast and QA for any files that you prepare there for our consumption, has NOT been resolved. It persists. I just think that people have given up mentioning it, as it's been so many, many months of messaging, asking and complaining.

I for one, have pretty much given up. So, my suggestion would be to stop advertising titles as 5.1, DD or surround, as this is NOT the case. Only when you have had someone actually check, and confirm (someone who understands the difference) should you then tell is it should be so, and then we can then make an actual informed choice whether to go to the effort of watching or downloading.

This is a VERY BIG FAILURE on your part, and the lengthy time it is taking to be resolved is rather sad.
Old 2017-03-13 , 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgerm View Post
Yup, the problem persists. Although I've not bothered with a lot due to other work I've had. But right now I'm watching ep 4 of MacGyver, and it's messed up.

I have another post on the broadcast forum, about the Bond channel. However no one deemed that important enough to answer. Titles on there had a sort of 5.1 soundtrack, but the channels, volumes, and panning were so messed up that those were not watchable. I posted early enough to have those rectified before rebroadcast, but I guess no one saw or checked.

With everything moving to CU+ now, and so little sent to the actual PVR (I still have Explora 1s here, with larger HDDs) this means time downloading titles (meaning that the Internet line is saturated). Large files chew away at soft caps on accounts. And then once those have been downloaded, it is again a mess.

The issue, as reported by any and all in the various departments who deal with CU, CU+, broadcast and QA for any files that you prepare there for our consumption, has NOT been resolved. It persists. I just think that people have given up mentioning it, as it's been so many, many months of messaging, asking and complaining.

I for one, have pretty much given up. So, my suggestion would be to stop advertising titles as 5.1, DD or surround, as this is NOT the case. Only when you have had someone actually check, and confirm (someone who understands the difference) should you then tell is it should be so, and then we can then make an actual informed choice whether to go to the effort of watching or downloading.

This is a VERY BIG FAILURE on your part, and the lengthy time it is taking to be resolved is rather sad.
Couldn't have said it better. Great job.

Quality control at Dstv is non existent it seems and the guys responsible for not doing their jobs should be fired and someone competent enough should be hired to sort this out.

It's been going on for months now and we still have the same issue.

Like I said before, how can they get the surround sound right in the live broadcast, but when they load it on catchup or catchup+ it's all screwed up and no longer surround sound.
Can someone please explain that to me?
Dual LNB on 90cm dish, Explora PVR (Primary) + Explora PVR (Secondary) + UEC 4 Tuner HD PVR (Spare, Not Connected), XV Activated, LG 47" LED tv + LG LED projector connected via hdmi to pvr's, Samsung surround sound connected via optical.
Old 2017-03-13 , 11:58
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheppy34 View Post
Like I said before, how can they get the surround sound right in the live broadcast, but when they load it on catchup or catchup+ it's all screwed up and no longer surround sound.
Can someone please explain that to me?
What we have been told in the past is that the titles for CU are not processed by the same group of people as their equivalents for live TV are, so it's either the CU department itself with a problem or the source used for their department.
Old 2017-03-13 , 12:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
What we have been told in the past is that the titles for CU are not processed by the same group of people as their equivalents for live TV are, so it's either the CU department itself with a problem or the source used for their department.
So basically the Catch Up guys are a bunch of rookies that don't know what they are doing and the guys from live TV are the pros who actually knows a thing or two, but don't communicate much or help the CU guys get it right.

Thanks for the info, but it still doesn't explain to me how the CU guys get it so wrong loading that same content on to CU+?