Forum > Value Added Services > DStv Catch Up > CU, CU+ and Broadcast Dolby 5.1 on-going issues
Old 2016-11-12 , 19:17
Watches YouTube a lot!

Unhappy CU, CU+ and Broadcast Dolby 5.1 on-going issues

So, more and more things are being broadcast, placed on to CU and available to stream or download on CU+ where they indicate a surround soundtrack, but there are issues with those.

So many shows and movies. Could we get some actual feedback on this please? And is it an inability to actually process things properly due to hardware short-comings or is it an issue where staff actually don't know how?

And this is not a hardware issue my. Others are reporting the same, and an equal frustration not getting feedback. And there have been titles via broadcast or CU / CU+ that do the a correct soundtrack.

I know this is sort of a double post, so forum admin feel free to merge or refer the posts, but the other was specific to one title. LIttle did I know it would turn out to be the majority.
Old 2016-11-14 , 22:47
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Default CU, CU+ and Broadcast Dolby 5.1 on-going issues

Hi andrewgerm

Kindly confirm the titles you're referring to and the device are you using to connect. We'll have our Catch Up team attend to the matter and advise.
Old 2016-11-16 , 16:39
Watches YouTube a lot!

@MCPamela

I am using an Explora (the original, first one)
And it is almost all titles. While there are some broadcast titles (movie and TV show) that do have the correct soundtrack, the rest have issues.

This is on CU, CU+ and broadcast.

Titles include:
Numbers Station
Walking Dead
Blue Bloods
DC Legends
Killjoys
Almost all the Harry Potter movies
WHiteout
Legend
30,000 Leagues Under The Sea
The Day THe Earth Stopped
Westworld
Frequency
Lethal Weapon

Pretty much a list of everything I've tried to watch in the last few weeks.

Very, very few things actually have a surround soundtrack, even when from a channel that is meant to support it, or when shown in the "info" meta-data.

I've pretty much given up.
BUT, it is not my hardware, as there are titles that do have the correct soundtrack, in surround, whether via CU, CU+ or broadcast, so I am pretty convinced it is not this side (also, there are enough other forum users who are just as unhappy, and who share the same resignation to this issue).

I also believe I do have the latest software / firmware update on my decoder.

Just as part of trouble shooting, I have checked my theatre sound setup with other sources and disc / PC titles.
Old 2016-11-17 , 07:06
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Default CU, CU+ and Broadcast Dolby 5.1 on-going issues

Hi andrewgerm

Thank you for the info sent. We've forwarded to our Catch Up team to look into and advise. Feedback will be sent once received.
Old 2016-11-22 , 18:30
Still gets up to change channels

I'm having the same problem and whish to add that ALL CONTENT FOR downloading is in mono. I have reported this back in September and someone was going to look into it, but NOTHING.

DSTV is pushing hard to for Catch up titles to be downloaded, but how can you expect us to be happy with content that does not even have a stereo signal.

Sam Smith Concert: Mono. WTF?

ALL Content that is presented to DSTV in 5.1 surround, should be available in that format across all platforms that support it.

Hopefully we will get feedback on this issue soon, which will hopefully be resolved as a matter of urgency.

There are many titles I wish to download to my Explora from the internet, but refuse to watch them in the current audio format they are being presented.
Old 2016-11-23 , 18:32
Watches YouTube a lot!

To second Bernard. To create a list of titles (series, movies, etc.) would be very time consuming, as lately everything has had issues. I've stopped downloading series and movies lately because of this. Not a single item has been correct.

Again, this is not an issue with my equipment, and unless it's a software mess on the Explora, then my PVR seems fine (I have watched a few movies, broadcast live, that have had the correct soundtrack - though many broadcasts that I too have reported prior, also have issues)
Old 2016-11-24 , 12:31
Knows how to use a remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Frost View Post
I'm having the same problem and whish to add that ALL CONTENT FOR downloading is in mono. I have reported this back in September and someone was going to look into it, but NOTHING.

DSTV is pushing hard to for Catch up titles to be downloaded, but how can you expect us to be happy with content that does not even have a stereo signal.

Sam Smith Concert: Mono. WTF?

ALL Content that is presented to DSTV in 5.1 surround, should be available in that format across all platforms that support it.

Hopefully we will get feedback on this issue soon, which will hopefully be resolved as a matter of urgency.

There are many titles I wish to download to my Explora from the internet, but refuse to watch them in the current audio format they are being presented.
I'm in the same exact boat regarding even remotely wanting to download anything from catchup plus due to the lack of 5.1 surround sound on the titles.

I've also complained a few times and each time I only get a response that it will be forwarded to the relevant catch up team and looked at, that is where it ends as nothing changes and we are still stuck with poor audio quality.

Just an example of a series I downloaded the other day is Mars and still the same poor audio with no 5.1 surround sound.

How can some of the titles on catch up not have 5.1 surround sound, but then the same title if you record it from live tv have 5.1 surround sound, just one example of that is Westworld? How in the world can they screw that up?

Anyway just my 2 cents and to confirm that I have the same issue and that this issue have been going on for a very long time now and still nothing have been done about it.

Why are we still waiting for this to be resolved or even just getting some feedback regarding the problem?
Dual LNB on 90cm dish, Explora PVR (Primary) + Explora PVR (Secondary) + UEC 4 Tuner HD PVR (Spare, Not Connected), XV Activated, LG 47" LED tv + LG LED projector connected via hdmi to pvr's, Samsung surround sound connected via optical.
Old 2016-11-24 , 12:36
MultiChoice

Folks I have just escalated this to the team who are responsible for loading Catch Up and Catch Up Plus. Will let you know when I get a response from them.

ADDITION: The team are busy investigating already - am waiting for an update on current status.

Last edited by MC Marietjie; 2016-11-24 at 12:50. .
Old 2016-11-25 , 11:28
MultiChoice

So I'm told that there seems to be an issue with the transcoding of titles in the VOD automation system (the technical response). The team have asked for a change to be made in the course of next week that will correct this problem. Thanks for your patience and understanding.
Old 2016-11-26 , 15:01
Still listens to the wireless

Just to be thorough I second everything said here and really hope this gets resolved.