Forum > Customer service > Customer service > Billing problems becoming unfair
Old 2016-12-31 , 11:49
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Phoning the call centre is a most often a sheer waste of time. Since 10th December I have called them 3 times, spent ages on the phone with someone who a) argues with me about how I pay the account, b) tells me they are looking into the account and then I get cut off after a 10 minute wait, c) tells me I changed my profile sometime in June (what has this to do with an annual payment made in Feb, and what is "my profile", d) implies that they are doing me a favour by re-connecting me straight away (although this takes a few mins and only lasts a day or two)

Then someone tells me that their systems are working 100%, the next person says they are having problems with billing, the next one says there is a Smart Card issue. These are so obviously guesses that it is an insult to your intelligence to listen to them

This palava makes me want to ditch DSTV altogether. My cousin in the UK never has such problems with Sky HD, her device has worked continuously since 2004, her debit orders are processed timeously and Sky came along one day and gave her a new Satellite receiver without charge. No "call an installer, it is not our problem"?

I get the impression that MC assumes they have a monopoly on satellite TV and customer service is just lip service and window dressing, much like the ridiculous bank adverts that bear not the slightest resemblance to the experience you have when visiting a bank

I was away from 11th December and got back yesterday. Despite advising MC about the E16 message on 10th December, this message came back on 12th December and the house-sitter could not get the service going as she did not have my ID number (without that MC will not budge) so was without TV for about 3 weeks. I called from England but after 4 or 5 mins on the phone realised I was not going to achieve anything except waste money

Another annoyance is that the Explora needs restarting every day as there is a black screen, the program schedule shows "no information" for all the programs. This was immediately blamed on a faulty installation, yet the installer who visited showed me that the signal strength and quality was optimum.

It is very easy to blame someone else for a problem, and I am sure most DSTV customers are not technically inclined and often do not have a clue about what is being told them on the phone. My housesitter was told on her first call that rain affects the picture, but had already looked at the error codes listed on the website and knew that was nonsense
Old 2016-12-31 , 11:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by calsim View Post
I beg to differ that @chrisc 's issue is a unique case. I am an annual client too, and have received a message that I was R111 in arrears suddenly. My term is 27/1 - 26/1 each year. It turns out it was an additional decoder added to DCC without my authority or requirement. I have now been assured it will be sorted out, but I found out during that call that Multichoice has now amended my period to be 13/-12/1 next year, meaning they will expect me to pay for the 2 week period from 13/1-27/1 twice to avoid a disconnection. I have an annual subscription, but my account has 13 pages of entries for the year which seems to completely confuse all the call centre operators, and for some reason, it seems impossible to deal with someone in the accounts department who can actually reconcile the account and sort it out.
Last year it took 5 months to get my annual invoice processed after they unilaterally converted my account to monthly for an inexplicable reason. After it was sorted and paid (over paid) my DCC on my 2 decoders was cancelled 3 times over the course of the year because of "payment issues". I have elected to just drop DCC for next year. It just isnt worth the effort. So I am not holding my breath for a smooth ride this year either. I hope the alternate options are more plentiful and a better replacement by next year.

I have had a DSTV service since inception of the service and have always paid annually, in April of each year

In February 2014 it was cut off and I was told that my renewal date is 9th Feb, so I had to pay the year's fee then. Several emails to MC accounts dept asking for a credit for the period 10th Feb to 15th April were never replied to. In those days, the monthly fee was approx R650, so I figure I am owed at least R1300

On requesting a statement I was sent this 8-page document which was full of multiple reversals, credits and debits and bore no comparison to the actual account. I could see from this diabolical mess how 2 months "disappeared" from my account
Old 2016-12-31 , 12:32
Changes remote batteries hourly

Wow Chris, you're certainly having your share of bad experiences!

Some of us have learnt that the new head of customer service is doing a lot to improve things, I know that when she can she will read your posts with serious attention and active concern.
Do try giving MC Solomon a chance to sort this out in the new year, he's helped a lot of people here.
Old 2017-01-02 , 10:46

I listened again to the phone calls I made in Feb 2014 when my annual renewal date was changed from April to February

I had just installed a different Xtraview receiver since the hard disk on the second device failed. I was told that, due to the change, my profile would be "reset" and that I would now pay from that date, which was 9th Feb 2014. My request for a refund for the period 10th Feb to 11th April was said to "being attended to" and as we know from the OP in the first message, this never occurs.

The problem with following it up is a very convoluted and lengthy conversation with a disinterested accounts clerk who has to laboriously look everything up and then tell you it will be attended to, and nothing happens

I once asked one of those people what they would do if their payslip showed a R1300 deduction for an unknown reason. She declined to answer, and when pressed, cut the call
Old 2017-01-03 , 10:54
MultiChoice

Hi ChrisC, I'm crawling under my desk as I write this. Really not great service by any standards - I'm so sorry. I won't be able to resolve this one personally, but please can you DM me any outstanding queries together with your smartcard number and details and I'll get someone to contact you?
Old 2017-01-05 , 10:35

I have sent PMs to Soloman and Brenda

Today, yet another SMS advising that I owe yet a different amount

I don't watch much TV at all, but have an elderly relative who is confined to a wheelchair and she has little else to do except watch TV. Looking at an "E16 error" is not entertainment

Why is this same fault occurring over and over? I cannot spend 20 mins o the phone speaking to an aggressive call centre agent who is doing me a favour by speaking to me
Old 2017-01-05 , 15:15

WTF I now have to send "proof of payment" for my remittance in Feb. What is this, the Spanish Inquisition?

Why does it take 20 mins for an operative to look up my account? Been on the phone since 14h35
Old 2017-01-05 , 15:54
Changes remote batteries hourly

For this section's Mods;

Chris posted further service concerns in another forum section, see http://forum.dstv.com/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=11
Old 2017-01-06 , 11:07

I got really fed up yesterday, being cross-examined by a poorly-trained agent who, after 20 mins, could not ascertain an account balance, so hung up, phoned back and asked for a supervisor

At last an intelligent being. He managed to find my account details in 30 seconds (what on earth had the other fellow been doing?) and admitted that the account was in a muddle due to some internal changes. Anyway, within 2 hours it was fixed

Nonetheless I have sent a detailed email to "help@dstv.com" and have received an acknowledgement

A tiny bit of progress? But what a palava to get it done

Also yesterday, I had to assist my 75 year old neighbour who is trying to find out why her bank account was debited 13 times in a 12 month period by MC

The reason given was: 1st September occurred on a Thursday and 30th September was on a Friday? When asking what that had to do with it, I was told that was the reason for the extra debit. Do these girls and guys think I am an idiot?
Old 2017-01-06 , 16:52
Knows how to use a remote

Your account has been fixed and the annual cycle restored. Please let us know if you encounter any problems.