Forum > Value Added Services > DStv Catch Up > CatchUp+ Download Speeds
Old 2016-10-27 , 20:59
Changes remote batteries daily

Default CatchUp+ Download Speeds

Can MC possibly advise what the maximum download speed is one can expect when downloading CatchUp+ titles? And what is the impact of other users downloading at the same time?

My 100Mbps fibre line went live yesterday and later afternoon I watched The Graham Norton Show on CU+ in HD and early this evening Shameless in HD. In both instances, by the time I had watched 10 or so minutes the entire episode had downloaded. However, tonight (after 20H00) I am watching The Walking Dead on CU+ and the download can't even keep up with what I am watching? I had to paused my watching and now, after 45 minutes, only 75% has downloaded - at times it takes 2 to 3 seconds for the downloaded GB counter to increase by even .01GB while it increased by .30GB or even more per second yesterday - 30 times faster.

I ran a speed test on my fibre line and it is running at full expected speed.
DSTV Explora (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI Picture and Audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. RF connection from Explora & HDPVR 2P to bedroom for Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.

Last edited by Krugie; 2016-10-27 at 21:02. .
Old 2016-10-27 , 22:03
Still gets up to change channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krugie View Post
Can MC possibly advise what the maximum download speed is one can expect when downloading CatchUp+ titles? And what is the impact of other users downloading at the same time?

My 100Mbps fibre line went live yesterday and later afternoon I watched The Graham Norton Show on CU+ in HD and early this evening Shameless in HD. In both instances, by the time I had watched 10 or so minutes the entire episode had downloaded. However, tonight (after 20H00) I am watching The Walking Dead on CU+ and the download can't even keep up with what I am watching? I had to paused my watching and now, after 45 minutes, only 75% has downloaded - at times it takes 2 to 3 seconds for the downloaded GB counter to increase by even .01GB while it increased by .30GB or even more per second yesterday - 30 times faster.

I ran a speed test on my fibre line and it is running at full expected speed.
Do you have a "shaped" data package, like many uncapped ones? On MWEB, for example, they give priority to certain types of data which means at peak times downloads can be much slower than your line is capable of. For example if you looked at a web page (or ran a speed test) you would get the maximum speed but downloads would be slower due to congestion on the network. From what I recall they do prioritise live video viewing above downloads but the way you're watching may appear to be a download (ie downloading vs streaming). Just a suggestion, as this may also be overload on DSTV's side.
Old 2016-10-28 , 11:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDavid View Post
Do you have a "shaped" data package, like many uncapped ones? On MWEB, for example, they give priority to certain types of data which means at peak times downloads can be much slower than your line is capable of. For example if you looked at a web page (or ran a speed test) you would get the maximum speed but downloads would be slower due to congestion on the network. From what I recall they do prioritise live video viewing above downloads but the way you're watching may appear to be a download (ie downloading vs streaming). Just a suggestion, as this may also be overload on DSTV's side.
Valid point - I am actually not sure whether Fibre packages are shaped or unshaped through M-Web - I will have to follow up.
DSTV Explora (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI Picture and Audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. RF connection from Explora & HDPVR 2P to bedroom for Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2016-10-28 , 12:15

Been having this problem randomly, but also last night around 8 with Grandfathered. On a capped 40mb VDSL line thru Afrihost. When it happens , i go and check some random Youtube streaming and it's never below 25mb/s
40Mb VDSL (ISP AH)
------------------------------------------
DSD1110 in holiday mode
DSTV Mobile via Drifta WiFi (S5& iPad)
Old 2016-11-03 , 20:08
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Same thing here.
I've had a 3GB movie downloading for over 24 hours here. I'm not on 100MB fibre, still ADSL, but my line isn't capped, or throttled.
Old 2016-11-04 , 11:28

No one from MC seem to be following this or reporting back?
Old 2016-11-05 , 10:02

Same last night with Masterchef Aus. Even building up a 3min buffer didn't help. Would've been nice if these was a speedtest built into network settings
40Mb VDSL (ISP AH)
DSD1110 in holiday mode

Last edited by Luke7777; 2016-11-05 at 10:06. .
Old 2016-11-07 , 14:08
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Same here - was trying to watch the Del's Advocate last night on iPad (MWEB fibre optic, 20MBPS). It refused to buffer, even leaving it for 20 minutes. Picture quality became very poor, eventually gave up watching it. I wanted to download the movie to my iPad, but it appears that it is not allowed for some movies? Why is that?
Old 2016-11-08 , 15:48

Masterchef again last night around 7.. the 30sec leadoff produced exactly 2sec of HD
40Mb VDSL (ISP AH)
DSD1110 in holiday mode
Old 2017-02-21 , 09:39
Still listens to the wireless

Angry Unshaped and still buffering

I have an unshaped account and it still buffers when I try to watch something in HD. I have done trace routes and have determined that the problem is a routing problem with Multichoice. they are definitely at fault http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=34397

They say they are working on it. Yeah right!