Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > "Failed" recordings
Old 2017-02-09 , 10:21
Changes remote batteries daily. Has an entire thread named after her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Trisan View Post
Which leads me to believe the issue is with the number of recordings you've set, do you make use of the 'Conflicting Recordings' function? You can find this under the DStv Menu - Planner - Schedules - Conflicting Recordings.
This screen summarises all recordings that will conflict in the coming week (so you only have to check once a week). There are two more repeats of The Missing, my guess is that they both conflict with other recordings you have, hence the Explora is unable to set a new one for them.
The other solution is to delete the series recording for this show and set a new one.
Thanks for the reply.

Conflicting recording were not the problem. I know how to check and I make sure all recordings for the evening do not conflict or are rescheduled for another time.

The Explora will not set another recording for Missing as it has already recorded the episode, even if it was only 6 minutes long. To check, I tried to set a recording for a repeat, and a message comes up saying, "this episode is already on your playlist".

Something else caused the failed recordings.
Old 2017-02-09 , 10:38
Knows how to use a remote

That's rather strange, it should figure out it has an incomplete recording and try to record the episode again.
Old 2017-02-09 , 11:03

Quote:
That's rather strange, it should figure out it has an incomplete recording and try to record the episode again.
If I remember, I'll take a photo tonight as I have not deleted the 6 minute recording yet, and post tomorrow.
Old 2017-02-09 , 11:38
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:

This screen summarises all recordings that will conflict in the coming week (so you only have to check once a week). .

Bad information. You actually need to check daily for recording opportunities that will help remove the conflicts. Checking weekly runs the risk of episodes not being recorded at all, if each repeat gives rise to another conflict.

Correcting conflicts requires daily management and some juggling skills.
Old 2017-02-09 , 11:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmJay View Post
Correcting conflicts requires daily management and some juggling skills.
Agree completely, especially with limited (or no repeats).
Old 2017-02-09 , 12:13
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
It usually figures it out, but not always. Although it's been a while since I've seen this problem.

Another need for a second recording - something gets cut short due to a scheduling mishap. More rare these days in my experience, but the point is that some of us want to hang on to the old incomplete recording in the meantime in case of further mishaps, better than nothing.

Re the conflicts - agree with the others, there's too many scheduling changes to only need to check weekly.

The conflicts can also be seen in the standard schedules screen as they create warning icons.
Old 2017-02-09 , 12:32
Changes remote batteries hourly

@Trisan, other than the older part of this thread from last year where you asked for any new feedback about failed recordings, I think I may have a new clue;

I've just remembered that this morning I noticed that the channel name labels on the Explora were all abbreviated (on the i-Plate and GRID). A short while later they were back to their full length names, before I could check them in the schedules and EPG as well. I've seen this happen before long ago.
So maybe that caused confusion with the channel identities involved in the recordings?
Old 2017-02-11 , 06:14

Apologies, I didn't have time to post yesterday

See photos of Missing. The first is of the Playlist, reflecting that only 6 minutes of the episode was recorded, and no error indicated. The second reflects the message that comes up if I try to record the episode again (without having deleted the 6 minute episode.

Missing 1.jpg

Missing 2.jpg
Old 2017-02-11 , 06:15

Had another "failed" recording yesterday. I had a backup recording set for Blackish Friday morning. When I got home Friday night, no sign of it anywhere: no recording, no failed recording listed and no new recording set by Explora.
Old 2017-02-15 , 17:46
Knows how to use a remote

Last night i was recording 24 Legacy, i could see the record icon for but the timer wasnt moving. For 52 minutes it essentially recorded nothing.