Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > That irritating message!
Old 2016-04-11 , 11:46
MultiChoice

It is for this reason that the My Channels feature was created - it is supposed to show you only the channels available on the package you are subscribed to. Using this feature means you don't skip through channels that are not on your package.

If this is not working properly, then we need to do the necessary to get it working properly.
Old 2016-04-11 , 12:27
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
It is for this reason that the My Channels feature was created - it is supposed to show you only the channels available on the package you are subscribed to. Using this feature means you don't skip through channels that are not on your package.

If this is not working properly, then we need to do the necessary to get it working properly.
That is great to hear! Some of us have been complaining about this problem for more than 2 years ----- so it would be very welcome if MC did do something about it !

Especially why each weekend, by about 21:00 on Fridays, the My channels screen will go wrong and stay wrong until Monday morning, unless one is prepared to reboot the decoders 3 - 4 times every 24 hours.

(SD PVR and UEC HD PVR 4T).
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2016-04-12 , 09:59
Knows how to use a remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
That is great to hear! Some of us have been complaining about this problem for more than 2 years ----- so it would be very welcome if MC did do something about it !

Especially why each weekend, by about 21:00 on Fridays, the My channels screen will go wrong and stay wrong until Monday morning, unless one is prepared to reboot the decoders 3 - 4 times every 24 hours.

(SD PVR and UEC HD PVR 4T).
This is possibly the first post that blames MC for my problem and not me.
Old 2016-04-13 , 10:04
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrymore View Post
This is possibly the first post that blames MC for my problem and not me.
There's no blame involved, assisting you and others requires a logical set of steps to follow which must include checking your installation (and there was a problem there, related or not). There were a number of posts that suggested the problem(s) could be on MC's side. And nothing has been clearly determined yet.

We do get impatient with how long it can take MC to fix some bugs, sometimes it's not that unusual on an industry scale, sometimes it is.
If you do try staying in the All Channels bouquet feedback would help, especially if the problem then "ceases" as that would assist in speeding up this particular debug process.

Last edited by Optimist; 2016-04-13 at 10:07. .
Old 2016-04-13 , 10:34
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
..........There's no blame involved, assisting you and others requires a logical set of steps to follow which must include checking your installation (and there was a problem there, related or not).........
100% Optimist, I could not express it any better!

Over the many years that we and the other regulars have been helping people fix problems, we've so frequently experienced users blaming MC, rather than accepting that there may be an issue with their own installation and going b@lls out to help us trouble shoot it for them. (installation means EVERYTHING between the LNB (including clear line of sight to the satellite) and the decoder - including both of these components).

Going back the initial complaint, it says "I regularly punch in a channel number only to be faced with a black screen with the usual "check that your set-top box is properly connected ......"

I don;t believe that this finally has anything to do with favourites, my channels or all channels" That message actually means "I'm sorry I can't tune to the channel you have selected, even though it's a valid channel number, because I can't receive a decent signal, for whatever reason".

Also 90% is not a great signal quality. it should be 99% or 100% on a 2P PVR. It may be "wandering" (not a steady reading this also indicates problems), so would be wise to recheck signal quality on affected channels over a minute or so. I'm not a betting man but would put money that this is an installation issue.

Cheers, K.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2016-04-16 at 09:48. . Reason: FURTHER clarify inclusiveness
Old 2016-04-13 , 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
I'm not a betting man but...
If I had a pound for every time I've heard that uttered...

But more seriously, there are other possibilities - an ancient DualView I work on sometimes dislikes a particular few channels, and that at times shifts as to which channels so then one has to wonder if it's a configuration issue similar to what's been touched on here, or possibly even a decoder fault.

So it's also important for all of us to give / get the feedback requested, our combined efforts not only help improve the service for all but also lead to further understanding and then most of the time to individual solutions
Old 2016-04-13 , 11:16
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
If I had a pound for every time I've heard that uttered...

But more seriously, there are other possibilities - an ancient DualView I work on sometimes dislikes a particular few channels, and that at times shifts as to which channels so then one has to wonder if it's a configuration issue similar to what's been touched on here, or possibly even a decoder fault.....
Sure Optimist -- I edited my post to clarify that I include both the LNB and the decoder itself, when I refer to "installation". It's basically everything within the user's span of control.

Cheers, K.
Old 2016-04-13 , 11:27

BTW, in case unclear I was grinning at the non-betting man making bets , not at your analysis which must be somewhere at the top of the list of strongest possibilities.
Old 2016-04-13 , 13:04
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post

Going back the initial complaint, it says "I regularly punch in a channel number only to be faced with a black screen with the usual "check that your set-top box is properly connected ......"

I don;t believe that this finally has anything to do with favourites, my channels or all channels" That message actually means "I'm sorry I can't tune to the channel you have selected, even though it's a valid channel number, because I can't receive a decent signal, for whatever reason".

Cheers, K.
Unfortunately NOT the only reason Keith .. I have 100 % and 100% and I get this issue on a regular basis, having selected either "Favourites" or "My channels" and never when on "All Channels"

The selection is ( has to be) affected by the package you are on, especially if you are not on the Premium package, and the problem is most definitely service authentication and EPG error related ....

MC Lufuno has asked me to provide him with screenshots when it happens again and I will do so. I am prepared to bet that by 21:00 on Friday evening, I will have the issue appearing. It is a weekend phenomena, and there is no doubt in my mind that it is related to some or other routine that does not run after hours.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2016-04-13 , 15:18
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Unfortunately NOT the only reason Keith .. I have 100 % and 100% and I get this issue on a regular basis, having selected either "Favourites" or "My channels" and never when on "All Channels"

The selection is ( has to be) affected by the package you are on, especially if you are not on the Premium package, and the problem is most definitely service authentication and EPG error related ....

MC Lufuno has asked me to provide him with screenshots when it happens again and I will do so. I am prepared to bet that by 21:00 on Friday evening, I will have the issue appearing. It is a weekend phenomena, and there is no doubt in my mind that it is related to some or other routine that does not run after hours.
Ahah! OK Geoff Thanks for this; I'll gladly stand corrected; so let's drill down on the problem.....

Geoff Are you also using a 2P also for this comparison? I know that the old SD PVR had issues at the weekend related to EPG changes and stuff; but not the 2P AFIK?

I don't see anywhere that Barrymore states that it's time or day of the week dependent? Barrymore comment please. Does this happen at the weekends or any old time?

Also Barrymore, when your 2P does tune successfully, does it tune quickly, 1.5 seconds or less? or does it take 2 seconds plus, to latch to the new channel? Also is there any pixellation as you successfully change channels, before the picture settles?

Do you get any pixellation or sound drop-out during the normal course of viewing?

Has this always happened ? or just recently? How frequently does it happen? (i.e. approximately what percentage of change attempts fail with the message?)

Have you made changes? reconfigured or moved your equipment?

Barrymore, These questions may seem arbitrary, but they are intended specifically to point us in the direction of the fault, so please give as mush detail as possible.

I have no experience other than Premium package. I've been trying for an hour plus to induce the problem on my old trusty 2P, but with no success; it has been going strong since a good few months before the product launch when Merv and I were very early adopters.

Cheers, K.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2016-04-13 at 15:53. .
Tags
error message