Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > That irritating message!
Old 2016-04-09 , 14:25
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrymore View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "in Favorites"
I access Favorites / all channels etc by pressing TV guide on the remote.
Pressing "TV Guide" on the remote, brings up a menu on most decoders with a list of options.

"All Channels" lists all the channels available
"My Channels" lists all the channels on the package you are subscribed to
"Favourites" lists the channels you may have set up listing only the channels you want to access at any time, which will be a subset of the channels available in your package.

Then IF you set the decoder to select by default one of the above, pressing the P+ or P- button will only show the channels in that selection.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2016-04-10 , 11:03
Knows how to use a remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Pressing "TV Guide" on the remote, brings up a menu on most decoders with a list of options.

"All Channels" lists all the channels available
"My Channels" lists all the channels on the package you are subscribed to
"Favourites" lists the channels you may have set up listing only the channels you want to access at any time, which will be a subset of the channels available in your package.

Then IF you set the decoder to select by default one of the above, pressing the P+ or P- button will only show the channels in that selection.
My original complaint was that punching in the channel number on my remote, a channel which I regularly use and is in my favorites list, black screen appears.
Yesterday using the Alt key on my remote to go back to the previously watched channel black screen again. Pressing alt again takes me back then again and the second attempt works.
Old 2016-04-10 , 11:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Marietjie is concerned that you may have been getting confused by Favourites, but I don't think so as that wouldn't have led to the error you first reported.

Ok, so then someone needs to explain to you how to find the signal readings in the 2P's menu (or you can try find that yourself) and you then need to post them. You'll be testing for the signal strength and the signal quality on tuner 1 with both channel 262 and channel 405.

Then, based on those posted readings, others will try help you determine the problem and what to do about it.
But being the weekend you may have to wait for next week, or you could call in an accredited installer.

I can't assist further.
On both channels same reading: strength 98% quality 90%
Old 2016-04-10 , 11:48
Changes remote batteries hourly

Good timing with your post, I happened to be around so can assist a bit more.

Your signal qualities are on the low side but I think may not be critical... yet - a possibility I would suspect is old / worn cables from the dish.
But let's see what others say.

Do the problem channels always work when in the All Channels bouquet?
If so try removing them from Favourites, rebooting, and then putting them back again.

Else, some may suggest taking your 2P in for testing.
If doing so;
Use a MC Service Centre, not an agency.
If you have a second decoder on XtraView (XV) take it with as well.
You would first need to note down how all cable connections are done, and important user settings in the menu (which other Forumites or a Mod needs to assist with if it comes to this).
Chances are that your decoder would be swapped, this means likely losing any unseen recordings you've made.

All the best with it.
Old 2016-04-10 , 16:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Good timing with your post, I happened to be around so can assist a bit more.

Your signal qualities are on the low side but I think may not be critical... yet - a possibility I would suspect is old / worn cables from the dish.
But let's see what others say.

"Do the problem channels always work when in the All Channels bouquet?
If so try removing them from Favourites, rebooting, and then putting them back again."

Else, some may suggest taking your 2P in for testing.
If doing so;
Use a MC Service Centre, not an agency.
If you have a second decoder on XtraView (XV) take it with as well.
You would first need to note down how all cable connections are done, and important user settings in the menu (which other Forumites or a Mod needs to assist with if it comes to this).
Chances are that your decoder would be swapped, this means likely losing any unseen recordings you've made.

All the best with it.
Thank you for the help. Currently I can live with the problem. Today the problem has not surfaced.
Do the problem channels always work when in the All Channels bouquet?
I'm a bit confused here. I only select channel numbers on my remote
that are in my favorites list and the sports channels 201 - 209 are
all there. Today no problem, but yesterday none of these worked.
If things get out of hand I will have to call in my technician to undertake whatever testing is require.

I am now editing this post. Been watching sport channels all day, no problem. I have this moment decided to test channel 184 which gave a black screen yesterday. Again a black screen. By scrolling to this channel in my favorites it then worked.

Last edited by Barrymore; 2016-04-10 at 17:05. . Reason: more info.
Old 2016-04-11 , 09:20
Technical Myriad

These issues are predominantly related to the chaos that reigns over the weekends with the EPG. I regularly have the problem on both my SD PVR AND 4T HDPVR. The channel list goes wrong IF you look at the "My channels" option, which then means the "Favourites list" if selected starts giving "blank screen when selecting channels by entering channel number on the remote.

At first, I thought this issue was specific to the SD PVR, but it is not. Then I sort of assumed it was because I only have EasyView on a HD PVR, but clearly it is not.

As soon as one reboots any of the decoders, the "My Channels" list restores to what it should be and the blank screen issue disappears.

I know immediately when the problem arises. Remote response hesitates with slow responses. If I then check the "my channels" list, it is always wrong. Then if I was to try and change channels by entering the channel numbers on the remote, blank screen for the selected channel appears.

BUT ..... with 3 viewing environments, we have our 3 favourite channels permanently tuned in and a simple selection between TV1, TV2 and TV3 satisfies 99% of our viewing needs, so I live with it most of the time.

""All Channels" is the ONLY stable list on the older decoders.

"My channels" is affected by authentication issues, and "favourites" is similarly affected.

Basically, these so called value adds are nothing but a nuisance and it will remain so while MC fails to maintain the EPG properly especially over weekends.

I do not know what happens on an Explora ....

Next time you get this, go to the "my Channels" list and see if it matches the list of channels in your package.
Old 2016-04-11 , 10:22

Quote:
These issues are predominantly related to the chaos that reigns over the weekends with the EPG. I regularly have the problem on both my SD PVR AND 4T HDPVR. The channel list goes wrong IF you look at the "My channels" option, which then means the "Favourites list" if selected starts giving "blank screen when selecting channels by entering channel number on the remote.

At first, I thought this issue was specific to the SD PVR, but it is not. Then I sort of assumed it was because I only have EasyView on a HD PVR, but clearly it is not.

As soon as one reboots any of the decoders, the "My Channels" list restores to what it should be and the blank screen issue disappears.

I know immediately when the problem arises. Remote response hesitates with slow responses. If I then check the "my channels" list, it is always wrong. Then if I was to try and change channels by entering the channel numbers on the remote, blank screen for the selected channel appears.

BUT ..... with 3 viewing environments, we have our 3 favourite channels permanently tuned in and a simple selection between TV1, TV2 and TV3 satisfies 99% of our viewing needs, so I live with it most of the time.

""All Channels" is the ONLY stable list on the older decoders.

"My channels" is affected by authentication issues, and "favourites" is similarly affected.

Basically, these so called value adds are nothing but a nuisance and it will remain so while MC fails to maintain the EPG properly especially over weekends.

Next time you get this, go to the "my Channels" list and see if it matches the list of channels in your package.
Some of what you say makes sense. Some a bit too technical for me.
Everyone talks about "my favorites" "All channels" and "My channels" I am unable to see the relevance between all this and my punching in a channel number on my remote, especially as I can do this and have the channel tune in whether it is in my favorites list or not. As for "My Favorites" I have never ever clicked on this so presumably it's list would be blank.
Old 2016-04-11 , 10:27

What is being suggested is that there's a general problem with those other bouquet choices, and that you should use the TV button (not the TV Guide button) to select
"All Channels" and then stay in that bouquet for a few days and see if your problems continue or not.

Quote:
As for "My Favorites" I have never ever clicked on this so presumably it's list would be blank.
No, that listing is based on your package and populated with related channels automatically, unlike how "Favourites" works.
But as it is also suspected of causing problems I suggest you continue to ignore that bouquet choice.

Last edited by Optimist; 2016-04-11 at 10:32. . Reason: Clarity
Old 2016-04-11 , 10:43

Quote:
It doesn't seem to be affected by these problems.
Old 2016-04-11 , 10:45
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Some of what you say makes sense. Some a bit too technical for me.
Everyone talks about "my favorites" "All channels" and "My channels" I am unable to see the relevance between all this and my punching in a channel number on my remote, especially as I can do this and have the channel tune in whether it is in my favorites list or not. As for "My Favorites" I have never ever clicked on this so presumably it's list would be blank.
I agree with you. Selecting any channel by using the key pad on the remote should just work. BUT... IF the channel you select ( by design or by accident) is not in your package, then you should not get access to that channel and instead get an on screen error message.

Therefore, everytime you select a channel via the keypad, a check is made to see if you are authorised to receive that channel and it is at that point where the authentication systems and the EPG impact on your selection IF there is something wrong with the EPG, or the authentication check fails ==== blank screen.
Tags
error message