Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > That irritating message!
Old 2016-04-07 , 10:56
Knows how to use a remote

Default That irritating message!

I regularly punch in a channel number only to be faced with a black screen with the usual "check that your set-top box is properly connected ......"
It should say " reboot your decoder"
Enough said.
Old 2016-04-07 , 11:01
Changes remote batteries hourly

Which decoder?
Old 2016-04-07 , 18:36
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrymore View Post
I regularly punch in a channel number only to be faced with a black screen with the usual "check that your set-top box is properly connected ......"
Enough said.
Would typically indicate that your STB has lost input signal at some point and has not recovered. This was an "old chestnut" issue with the Silver UEC 4 Tuner decoder; typically after a bad weather signal interruption, when a reboot was, indeed, required.

But, if you are experiencing this on a regular basis, in good weather conditions, it would suggest an issue somewhere within your specific installation.

When any decoder is slow to tune, or gives the massage you are reporting, it's normally a weak signal issue; antenna aliment, skew angle, cabling, connectors. Any of the above.

Give us a clue and we'll try to help!
How about a bit of detail, please Barrymore?

Cheers, K.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2016-04-07 at 18:39. .
Old 2016-04-08 , 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
Would typically indicate that your STB has lost input signal at some point and has not recovered. This was an "old chestnut" issue with the Silver UEC 4 Tuner decoder; typically after a bad weather signal interruption, when a reboot was, indeed, required.

But, if you are experiencing this on a regular basis, in good weather conditions, it would suggest an issue somewhere within your specific installation.

When any decoder is slow to tune, or gives the massage you are reporting, it's normally a weak signal issue; antenna aliment, skew angle, cabling, connectors. Any of the above.

Give us a clue and we'll try to help!
How about a bit of detail, please Barrymore?

Cheers, K.
All I can say is that it is a Pace PVR decoder. All connections were done years ago by a technician as I am clueless in this regard. This morning I could get no sports channels but usually
if I access the TV guide and select a channel from there then it works.
Old 2016-04-08 , 12:14

I'm not familiar with these decoders' menus anymore so will leave it to @Sandtonman and / or others to help check the signal values and advise further.

Just one other question - is the Pace able to record two separate channels' programs at the same time, or just one?
If two it's called a 4P, if only one recording at a time it's the 2P.
Old 2016-04-08 , 12:38
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Enough said.
I find it easier to enter a known channel number manually on the remote, rather than use the "playlist" button, and then scroll to select the channel I want. Of course I cant remember all the channel numbers, but it's a quicker way of getting to the wanted channels I use most often. I have not had the problem you described in your post.
Old 2016-04-08 , 13:07
MultiChoice

There is one other possibility - are you perhaps in Favourites as opposed to All or My Channels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2016-04-09 , 10:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
I'm not familiar with these decoders' menus anymore so will leave it to @Sandtonman and / or others to help check the signal values and advise further.

Just one other question - is the Pace able to record two separate channels' programs at the same time, or just one?
If two it's called a 4P, if only one recording at a time it's the 2P.
Only one channel at a time.
Old 2016-04-09 , 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
There is one other possibility - are you perhaps in Favourites as opposed to All or My Channels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not sure what you mean by "in Favorites"
I access Favorites / all channels etc by pressing TV guide on the remote.
Old 2016-04-09 , 10:20

Marietjie is concerned that you may have been getting confused by Favourites, but I don't think so as that wouldn't have led to the error you first reported.

Quote:
Only one channel at a time.
Ok, so then someone needs to explain to you how to find the signal readings in the 2P's menu (or you can try find that yourself) and you then need to post them. You'll be testing for the signal strength and the signal quality on tuner 1 with both channel 262 and channel 405.

Then, based on those posted readings, others will try help you determine the problem and what to do about it.
But being the weekend you may have to wait for next week, or you could call in an accredited installer.

I can't assist further.

Last edited by Optimist; 2016-04-09 at 12:22. . Reason: Detail re tuners
Tags
error message