Forum > Value Added Services > DStv Catch Up > Suggestion Box: Catch Up
Old 2015-06-30 , 10:07
Knows how to use a remote

I'd like to see more box sets available on CU+, like Castle Seasons 1-6. Also an option to download the entire season of the box set with one click.
Old 2015-06-30 , 10:21
MultiChoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceA View Post
I'd like to see more box sets available on CU+, like Castle Seasons 1-6. Also an option to download the entire season of the box set with one click.
The one button download is already on the roadmap

But the Box Sets are a bit more tricky. They're usually given to us by the studios as a "special" rather than a regular occurrence so we won't always have Box Sets on Catch Up but every so often they'll show up as a bonus.
Old 2015-06-30 , 10:41
Changes remote batteries hourly

I then suggest a survey

How many of you viewers say you will only watch a series if it's on CU, and expect regular boxsets to have a chance to watch other series not previously considered?

Send the intimidating results of that to the studios (with a picture of you on your Harley for good measure)...

Old 2015-07-20 , 12:51

Recently there's been quite a lot of disappointment due to a few non-CU-related titles having some episodes that can't be repeated on live TV during the day due to age limit sensitivities.
The most recent example is here: Proof repeats?

Perhaps too complicated, but would love to see a folder on CU titled something like "Special - age-sensitive episode copies".

(Putting these episodes on CU+ instead may not be helpful enough, it seems too many viewers still don't have ADSL.)
Old 2015-07-20 , 13:55
MultiChoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Recently there's been quite a lot of disappointment due to a few non-CU-related titles having some episodes that can't be repeated on live TV during the day due to age limit sensitivities.
The most recent example is here: Proof repeats?

Perhaps too complicated, but would love to see a folder on CU titled something like "Special - age-sensitive episode copies".

(Putting these episodes on CU+ instead may not be helpful enough, it seems too many viewers still don't have ADSL.)
Hmmm, unlikely. As it is we're struggling for capacity on the Explora.
Old 2015-07-27 , 09:04
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco_HD addict View Post
to clear content you watched or do not want to watch for more content to be added, Refresh option for missing content, and since the explora can't communicate back to MC without an internet connection, why cant we use DSTV Now app or website to choose content and that way you dont receive content you dont want. Limit series episodes to two that way you have space for more content. Software upgrade to increase more space available for catchup according to viewer preferences. More documentary content from Discovery, National geographic, History channel and others. News on demand from sky, CNN and other news networks especially breaking news.
+1

I am surprised that the above was not discussed further because actually I was thinking of this over the weekend and before I wanted to post a thread, luckily I checked this thread - I was scrolling to check CU as to which series I wanted to watch but there are so many series that we as a family do not watch at all and this is a waste of HDD space. Surely the MC tech team is either working towards this issue or MC Nic can take it to the boardroom level because this will be beneficial to both MC & its end users
HDPVR 2P, 42" Samsung LED TV
-----------------------
BEDROOM 2 -
Phillips 42" LED TV, Can View Both The PVR & 2P

Last edited by MC Nic; 2015-07-27 at 10:38. . Reason: Fixed your quote
Old 2015-07-27 , 10:55
MultiChoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
+1

I am surprised that the above was not discussed further because actually I was thinking of this over the weekend and before I wanted to post a thread, luckily I checked this thread - I was scrolling to check CU as to which series I wanted to watch but there are so many series that we as a family do not watch at all and this is a waste of HDD space. Surely the MC tech team is either working towards this issue or MC Nic can take it to the boardroom level because this will be beneficial to both MC & its end users
It would make sense but in my limited technical knowledge I can see a few problems (which, again, relate to the fact that it is near impossible for us to enable cherry picking content for Catch Up on set top boxes):

1 - There's only limited bandwidth available to broadcast content. At the moment we broadcast a single catalogue of content to ALL devices and the smartcard allows the relevant content thought to be viewed or displayed, which at the current levels takes 24 hours for new content and an addition 3 days to repeat old content. If everybody wanted an individual catalogue of content, we'd have to broadcast 5 million+ individual catalogues via the satellite, which is just not viable at all. Even if we had the best satellite in the Universe with billions of Mbps bandwidth, and we could broadcast 5 million individual catalogues to all 5 million of our subs, your decoder still can't talk back to us via satellite so we'd still have no idea what's on your PVR, what's successfully hit your box, what's missing or anything you've requested to refresh or delete.

2 - The alternative is to allow filtering at the smartcard/decoder level (simple computer says "no" principle), but this still would require you to bring in your smartcard to be changed or re-programmed every time you want to make a change to the list of content you want and don't want on Catch Up, or for your decoder to have an internet connection to "tell it" to exclude certain content. As you know, new shows start and old shows end almost daily so that's, again, completely impractical. And again, your decoder still can't talk back to us via satellite so we'd still have no idea what's on your PVR, what's successfully hit your box, what's missing or anything you've requested to refresh or delete. But you'd still sit with the issue in point 1 where we can't broadcast individual catalogue of content to each and every decoder out there because there just isn't enough bandwidth.

3 - In my opinion, the ONLY viable way to allow you to pick and choose what you want on your PVR (as in "true" On Demand) is an all-online solution where your Explora can talk back to us and you physically choose what downloads to your decoder via the Internet. Our current hybrid solution by offering both satellite (Push) and Catch Up Plus (Pull) VOD is as close as we're going to get. The upside is I know the guys are working on a more comprehensive solution that better integrates the push and pull sides of Catch Up for a future release on Explora, but further than that I can't give more details right now. As it stands though, satellite is simply not flexible enough to allow this level of customisation.

Last edited by MC Nic; 2015-07-27 at 11:01. .
Old 2015-07-27 , 11:05

It could be software controlled on the individual boxes - the user is given a menu of choices, the software then ignores (effectively discards) the titles not wanted.

The ignored titles are greyed out so one can change their mind later (if repeats are still scheduled for the VOD stream).

However, in the case of some content it would mean announcing what we can expect beforehand...

And it unfortunately won't allow for more content, the amount that can be put on the VOD stream is still limited. But it would help a lot with "clutter", the more often the users' list is visited the cleaner CU would be.

Last edited by Optimist; 2015-07-27 at 11:43. . Reason: Added last paragraph
Old 2015-07-27 , 11:38
MultiChoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
It could be software controlled on the individual boxes - the user is given a menu of choices, the software then ignores (effectively discards) the titles not wanted.

The ignored titles are greyed out so one can change their mind later (if repeats are still scheduled for the VOD stream).

However, in the case of some content it would mean announcing what we can expect beforehand...
Yup, also an option, but then all that will do is free up hard drive space in a partition dedicated to VOD. That capacity is not accessible by any other PVR functions like recordings for example. So at most, you'll just have a smaller list of Catch Up items. It won't have an effect on your ability to record more or and you still sit with the inability to "request" additional content unless you enable it in the pre-defined list of content.
Old 2015-07-27 , 11:50

Added more in an edit, I see you were thinking along similar lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Nic View Post
So at most, you'll just have a smaller list of Catch Up items.
There's already toooo much to watch IMHO so that would solve enough for me personally, then a far easier list to manage.

CU+ is already offering far more and will soon enough go HD. I know for some that's a cost consideration, but as some of us are asking for much more choice it must have some price tag.