Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > The DStv WiFi Connector
Closed Thread  
Old 2014-11-14 , 11:25
Still gets up to change channels

Apparently the MWEB Fon wifi extender can be used in the Explora. Any confirmation if this works?
Old 2014-11-14 , 11:29
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang View Post
Apparently the MWEB Fon wifi extender can be used in the Explora. Any confirmation if this works?
Any WiFi extender that has an on-board Ethernet port will work; provided, of course, that it is in decent wireless range of the router when installed next to the Explora.

Just patch the Ethernet port on the WiFi extender to the Ethernet Port on the back of the Explorer, then perform the connectivity check.

Ethernet over mains power is another very good way to get Ethernet to the Explora, in the event that its position is out of Wireless range of the Router. This is how I typically connect.

Cheers, K.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2014-11-14 at 11:33. .
Old 2014-11-14 , 11:39

Woo hoo! And I was all depressed that I had to buy the DStv connector. Thanks
Old 2014-11-14 , 12:08
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post

Ethernet over mains power is another very good way to get Ethernet to the Explora, in the event that its position is out of Wireless range of the Router. This is how I typically connect.

Cheers, K.
Correct. I hooked up my Trendnet Ethernet over powerline adapter last night and it worked straight away. Plugged one point in the kitchen mains, another in the lounge mains, hooked up the Ethernet cable, and voila!
Old 2014-11-14 , 12:49
Knows how to use a remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
Any WiFi extender that has an on-board Ethernet port will work; provided, of course, that it is in decent wireless range of the router when installed next to the Explora.

Just patch the Ethernet port on the WiFi extender to the Ethernet Port on the back of the Explorer, then perform the connectivity check.

Cheers, K.

Have you got a price and where available? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 2014-11-14 , 16:46
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanred View Post
Have you got a price and where available? Thanks.
Brought mine in from the UK some years ago; but believe there are now plenty available locally.

The only thing you need to be aware of, if you have 3-phase power in your dwelling, is that the two components of the Ethernet-over-the-mains extender, must be on the same phase of the mains supply.

Cheers, K.
Old 2014-11-14 , 19:08
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Picked mine up from Incredible Corruption about 6 months ago and have it connected in four different rooms. At the time the Trendnet starter kit was about R599, but there are multiple suppliers and options these days.
Old 2014-11-14 , 19:32
Knows how to use a remote

Thanks Hurbert, Have ordered online for mine.

Old 2014-11-15 , 19:06

I'm quite angry. 1stly the mweb extender is a POS. It just does not want to connect to my router, even manually.
2ndly because the DSTV website said the wifi connector is available at a MC service centre I drove all the way to Randburg only to find out they don't have and will only have on Monday. Website says retail outlets will have the connector from Monday. I even phoned the call centre to confirm if MC Randburg had stock.

I guess I should just accept the 'sorry for the inconvenience' I got.
Old 2014-11-15 , 19:17
MultiChoice

@kang
apologies that you could not get the DStv WiFi connector- it will be available in stores from Monday
Where do you live - i will then confirm which outlets have stock. Our branches will also have stock then
Closed Thread