Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > DStv Products > HD PVR > TV Guide not working and PVR channel display not working
Old 2013-09-28 , 20:04
Still listens to the wireless

Default TV Guide not working and PVR channel display not working

I've had my HDPVR for almost 18 months and haven't had many problems with it. As of last week my TV guide stopped working and the channel numbers no longer display on my recorder.

While this is quite inconvenient, the bigger problem is that it won't allow me to record anything in the future since the guide is down.

Any suggestions? I haven't changed ANY setup configurations on anything and all channels are viewable ... just no guide for what's coming in the future.
Old 2013-09-28 , 21:39
Technical Myriad

What you describe looks very much like total signal failure on one or more of the incoming signals.

Which HD PVR do have and what does the install look like? TWIN LNB with a MS? Do you live in a complex?

Try rebooting the decoder, then go to advanced options network settings, home network and rescan all networks.

Recordings are not possible to set without a working TV Guide and EPG.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2013-09-28 , 23:15

The model number on the HDPVR is TDS865. I'm new to Africa so not completely sure on the terminology but I believe I have a twin LNB (coming in to Sat1 and Sat2 of the back of the pvr). Don't know what the MS is and I don't live in a complex - but I live in Swaziland. I also have multi-view set up for a TV in the other room.

Tried your process below and it fixed the display on the PVR - it now shows the channel number. Also, it fixed the delay we'd been experiencing when we hit the TV Guide button. Still nothing on the guide yet but I "believe" it may take a while to load ... is this correct?

Also, played with my dish a little and tuner 2 was down to 80% signal quality - got it up to 90%.

Think this should fix my issues? How long does it typically take to load the guide?
Old 2013-09-29 , 00:35
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleeprop View Post
The model number on the HDPVR is TDS865. I'm new to Africa so not completely sure on the terminology but I believe I have a twin LNB (coming in to Sat1 and Sat2 of the back of the pvr). Don't know what the MS is and I don't live in a complex - but I live in Swaziland. I also have multi-view set up for a TV in the other room.

Tried your process below and it fixed the display on the PVR - it now shows the channel number. Also, it fixed the delay we'd been experiencing when we hit the TV Guide button. Still nothing on the guide yet but I "believe" it may take a while to load ... is this correct?

Also, played with my dish a little and tuner 2 was down to 80% signal quality - got it up to 90%.

Think this should fix my issues? How long does it typically take to load the guide?
Okay you have a HD PVR 2P decoder. In this case there are 2 cables coming from the TWIN LNB straight to the decoder inputs. There would be no MS ( Multiswitch) in this case.

The signal level on tuner 1 and 2 should be > 80% and the signal quality should be 100%. The HD PVRs are very sensitive to signal quality. The EPG should load quite quickly.

I will send you a Private Message with some info on how to ensure your antenna is optimally aligned, especially the skew angle adjustment on the LNB.

I presume you have installed a cable from the RF OUT port on the decoder to the remote TV point?

We do not have what is typically called "multiview" elsewhere. The only way to get something sort of equivalent to multiview is when 2 decoders are coupled together using "Extraview". The standard HD PVR 2P allows you only one viewing environment plus the ability to record one other channel.

Remote control of the decoder from the BR is possible with aTVLINK eye installed.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2013-09-29 , 00:47

Sorry, I meant extra view. All of this has worked fine for the last 14 months without problems.
Extraview was setup on the RF Out from the PVR.

Both Tuner1 and Tuner2 are showing Signal strength of 98% and signal quality of 90%. Tuner2 was at 80% until about an hour ago when I cleared some bushes that had grown up.

Still don't have a TV guide though ... I assume this is what you referred to as the EGP?
Old 2013-09-29 , 07:39

Thanks for your help Geoff and thanks for the PM, I'll work today on my signal quality and strength. Both are still at 90/98 and when I got up this morning and still no TV guide.

Everything else seems to be working fine .... I just can't get the guide and therefore cant record anything in the future.