Old 2013-09-01 , 20:15
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Default More Dolby Digital issues

Not sure if it's just me, or if I'm missing something.

On my previous generation of HD PVR (pace 4p), there used to be an option that said something like "always chose Dolby Surround when it's available", or words to that effect.

With the Explora the settings are slightly different. First you have to select "fixed audio" in order to get Dolby Digital. You also have to select your default sound-track e.g. "Original", "Family" etc.

The problem is that the Dolby Digital sound track isn't consistent. On some of the channels - mostly the M-net channels, Dolby Digital is on the "original" sound track. However, when you switch to any of the SuperSport channels, the audio defaults to stereo. If you bring up the options and select the "family" soundtrack on SuperSport, voila!, you have Dolby Digital again. Similarly on the Universal Channels, Dolby Digital seems to be carried on the Family soundtrack but not on the Original sound track.

I haven't tested all the channels but this is proving to be frustrating. It would be much simpler if either (1) Dolby Digital is *always* carried on the original soundtrack, or (2) there's an option to always default to Dolby Digital when it's available.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere,or (more likely!)I am missing something obvious.
Old 2013-09-02 , 09:32
Knows how to use a remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert View Post
Not sure if it's just me, or if I'm missing something.

On my previous generation of HD PVR (pace 4p), there used to be an option that said something like "always chose Dolby Surround when it's available", or words to that effect.

With the Explora the settings are slightly different. First you have to select "fixed audio" in order to get Dolby Digital. You also have to select your default sound-track e.g. "Original", "Family" etc.

The problem is that the Dolby Digital sound track isn't consistent. On some of the channels - mostly the M-net channels, Dolby Digital is on the "original" sound track. However, when you switch to any of the SuperSport channels, the audio defaults to stereo. If you bring up the options and select the "family" soundtrack on SuperSport, voila!, you have Dolby Digital again. Similarly on the Universal Channels, Dolby Digital seems to be carried on the Family soundtrack but not on the Original sound track.

I haven't tested all the channels but this is proving to be frustrating. It would be much simpler if either (1) Dolby Digital is *always* carried on the original soundtrack, or (2) there's an option to always default to Dolby Digital when it's available.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere,or (more likely!)I am missing something obvious.
I had the same for the F1 as mentioned here
http://forum.dstv.com/showpost.php?p...&postcount=656
Old 2013-09-02 , 10:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by caneman View Post
I had the same for the F1 as mentioned here
http://forum.dstv.com/showpost.php?p...&postcount=656
Thank you! Am not going nuts then. This happens for me across all the HD SS channels.
Old 2013-09-02 , 12:35
Technical Myriad

This argument about MC failing to be CONSISTENT when using certain audio settings has been going on since 2008! They have never acknowledged the issue nor have they made any meaningful attempts to address the issue.

In the past, all one had to do was set SS = manual to get some sort of stability, which was fine IF you were not concerned about SS. Now with the intro if the Explora, there are more reasons for consistency than ever.

In 2008, I did a complete analysis of every audio option for every channel, and then again in about 2010. ALL the anomalies were there, showing the inconsistent use of "original" and "family" as well the use "x of y" by SS.

It all fell on deaf ears. So good luck with getting a response or any meaningful action re this matter.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2013-09-08 , 20:58

The F1Qualifing, the F1 race and the Australian S.A rugby game were both broadcast in stereo when the audio was set to "original". Changing to "family" on the rugby changed the commentary to the Australian commentators. Changing to “family” during the F1 programs change the sound output to DD. Is this a bug with the Explora?
Old 2013-09-09 , 08:22
MultiChoice

DD should only be on English Original and not on English Family.

We are working on this
Old 2013-09-09 , 10:01
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Fathima View Post
We are working on this
Glad to hear - had the same problem all weekend.
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2013-09-09 , 10:19

Quote:

We are working on this
Thanks. Also glad to hear that it is being worked on.
Old 2013-09-10 , 11:07

Quote:

We are working on this
This is good to hear! I've noticed that the Dolby Digital soundtrack on the SuperSport channels seem to carry the centre channel only, with the front speakers being either non-existent or very faint in the overall sound mix. There's absolutely nothing from the surround channels (I can partially explain this for a sports event, but would at least expect the 2 front speakers to carry some effects). Can this be investigated?
Old 2013-09-10 , 13:26

I also noticed that the Dolby Digital signal on ch112 and ch125 via HDMI isn't consistent. On my Yamaha receiver the display changes from Dolby digital to stereo every few seconds. On these channels the receiver shows Dolby 2.0 and on the Mnet channels it shows Dolby 5.1.