Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > Barclays premier league

Old 2009-02-04 , 13:56
Still gets up to change channels

Wink Barclays premier league

Thanks Multichoice for buying the english premier league rights to the rest of africa after the collapse of gtv.But i have some reservations on the channel you will show the games that is supersport 7 it seems it is allocated low bandwith than SS 3 which is a premier soccer channel and allocated more bandwith,and what happens to laliga games because they are shown on SS 7 and times of the game will overlap with the epl games.

Mca Increase the bandwith on SS 7 if you are going to show the games on it,i have written alot on this but i see no change.
And by the way what are you going to show on SS 3?
Old 2009-02-05 , 15:32
SuperSport

Dear Kips,
Thank you for your query. There was indeed an issue regarding bandwidth on SS7, but this has been addressed. SuperSport's intention is to broadcast EPL with the highest possible quality.
It is true that some EPL games will clash with La Liga fixtures. Broadly, EPL will enjoy primacy (because of its popularity), but the situation will be analysed from week to week. You can rest assured that if there is a major La Liga derby, this will be taken into account. In such an instance, a "run of the mill" EPL game would then take a backseat.
Happily, EPL games tend to start earlier than La Liga and SuperSport doesn't anticipate any critical clashes.
SS3 will continue as is.
I trust this clears up any confusion.

Regards,

Clinton van der Berg: SuperSport Communications Manager
Old 2009-02-06 , 08:41

Angry Barclays premier league on ss7

Dear MC Superport thanks for the quick reply on the issue of airing english premier league matches on SS7 for Africa excluding Nigeria, and for admitting that you have been giving us beloe average signal quality on that channel.
But I think you are being economical with the truth, that you have increased the bandwith because last night I check and the signal had alot of blocking which is a result of low bandwith,I have checked today on SATCODX websites and the bit rates is 2.5mbps average, which really is low for a sport channel I compared it with the south african signal and they average rate is 5.00mbps for the same channel,please stop descriminating africa subscribers becuase we have also invested on LCD televisions which on low bandwith the picture looks horrible.
Supersport cleck on the signal again before the weekend matches and on that score the same happens with hallmark channel,low bandwith
By the way do you have people monitoring the dstv signal for africa or you only concentrate on south africa.I have a suggestion because Nigeria is on spot beam you can split the signal on SS3 so that we can enjoy the matches on SS3 A and Nigeria can have something else on SS 3NI because of the rights
Thankyou and hope to hear from you before tomorro
Old 2009-02-08 , 11:42
Knows how to use a remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC SuperSport View Post
Dear Kips, It is true that some EPL games will clash with La Liga fixtures. Broadly, EPL will enjoy primacy (because of its popularity), but the situation will be analysed from week to week. You can rest assured that if there is a major La Liga derby, this will be taken into account. In such an instance, a "run of the mill" EPL game would then take a backseat.

Regards,

Clinton van der Berg: SuperSport Communications Manager
How do you decide what is a run of the mill game? Some of the best games this season have been played by the lower teams on the points table.

Previously before GTV had the rights, Supersports would show 80% of the EPL games.

Can you tell us what percentage we now get on the Rest of Africa package? This weekend so many games are note shown.

La Liga games gave been very boring this year and don;t come near the class of even the "run of the mill" EPL games.

I see the rest of africa games are also broadcast now in HDTV?
Old 2009-02-09 , 08:26

Unhappy Eapl matches

Dear MCA Before GTV were given the epl rights Dstv used to show the games on three screens but on saturday they shown only on one screen SS7 because of africa rights and also the games clashed with laliga, mca needs to add another channel to show the EPL games ASAP, because of the spill over or else the fans will miss alot of games.
The picture quality on SS7 is still not up to the standard
Old 2009-02-18 , 19:06

Unhappy Why premier league on ss7?? :(

FOR 'REST OF AFRICA' REGION
It's my humble request to the concerned authority to please broadcast the Barclays Premier League on SS3 instead of SS7. A couple of seasons ago when Supersport had all the rights, SS3 was the ONE channel and all the matches were broadcasted on it throughout the day, so it is on SS3 (South Africa). But can anyone please tell me why it has been broadcasted on SS7 for 'Rest of Africa' which is causing many problems to people? Also anyone tell me what is happening latest of the FA Cup rights for 'Rest of Africa' and if Supersport is interested in it.

Now with no FA Cup action and the same old number of Premier League matches, SS3 doesn't look anymore our '24-hour football channel' and looks deserted with almost no live football action. I feel pity for it. Please answer my curious questions as soon as possible.

Thank You
Old 2009-02-19 , 06:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc supersport View Post
happily, epl games tend to start earlier than la liga and supersport doesn't anticipate any critical clashes. Ss3 will continue as is.i trust this clears up any confusion.

Regards,

clinton van der berg: Supersport communications manager
nobody really cares for la liga or itlalian football. Mca's problem is that it is trying to show too much of a mixture. Just bring back the epl, it's the only league that's worth watching. The la liga and italian games shown are 3rd rate at best.

The quality on th channels is only getting worse as well
Old 2009-02-19 , 11:46

Red face Barclays premier league

Dear all, Supersport is showing epl games on SS 7 because of rights they are not supposed to show the games in nigeria and SS7 is not in Nigeria but the problem is that SS 7 has been allocated low bandwith than SS 3 and I have been telling them, and they have also admittedit in the mca reply above.
We are now receiving fewer games from supersport than before, how can we pay 72 $ to watch super diski league from south africa
We demand all sport channels to be allocated more bandwith,stop adding useless channels. And by they way is kenya multichoice office reading this, because next is to write to COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION OF KENYA complaning about poor servives from dstv because the new communication act allows subscribers to complain from poor services like poor pictures broadcasts from dth operators licensed.
Old 2009-02-19 , 12:41

Question What is happening?

Thank You Kips for the information but just tell me who is providing FA Cup in 'Rest of Africa' after GTV's liquidation and is Supersport going to get those rights this season?

Also Supersport (Rest of Africa) aren't showing the next midweek matches while in South Africa they are. Why is this so? I think still South Africa's rights are above than those of 'Rest of Africa'.
Old 2009-02-19 , 22:01
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

It's worth noting that much has to do with how rights packages are sold, and by whom. The FA Cup is still the property of the Football Association; the Carling Cup of the Football League; and the Premiership of the FA Premier League, each of which auctions packages of live games, different for domestic and each foreign market, to the highest bidder, as far as is allowed by regulations - a ruling a few years ago, for example, means that the UK domestic rights for the FAPL can't all go to the same broadcaster, for example.

A lot also depends on the bidders in a market: for SA, there is currently no alternative to SuperSport for extensive packages of live matches; for "Rest of Africa" there may be others who have gained some rights (whether or not they are actually making use of those in full at present), or SS might have chosen to bid for some rights and not others.

Especially now, when the funding bubble has burst across the major leagues, television revenues remain one of the few secure sources of income for associations, leagues, and clubs - and that is likely to lead to more pressure to maximize those revenues, which may or may not be good for television viewers in any given place. As subscription services increase in number, it is likely that one will have to pay even more to get a spread of live matches. In the UK at present, for example, there is very little live domestic top-level football on free-to-air stations: the pay services, notably (British) Sky and (Irish) Setanta, own the broadcast rights to almost all of it, with ITV and the BBC very much second best.

Last edited by Terrence; 2009-02-19 at 22:04. .