Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > DStv Products > HD PVR > HD PVR 2P - Dolby Digital Volume Issues
Old 2010-12-07 , 13:18
Still listens to the wireless

Default HD PVR 2P - Dolby Digital Volume Issues

Hey Guys

My first post...

We got a brand new HD PVR 2P installed on Saturday and enjoy it a lot! I do have a strange problem though, and after a lot of Googling, theses forums and a call to MC, could not find an answer.

My problem is that the volume of the channels with Dolby Digital sound cannot be altered using the DSTV remote. When watching MNet, MM1 or the HD channels and the sound is broadcast in Dolby Digital, the volume and mute does not work. If I press the “Language” button on the remote and choose “English Original” the volume and mute buttons function as usual, but when I change it back to “Surround Sound” it is disabled.

Is this normal or is there a setting I am not aware of?

My setup:

HD PVR 2P connected to Sony AMP via Optical cable.
HD PVR 2P connected to Samsung HD via HDMI.

Regards
Henk
Old 2010-12-07 , 13:44
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henker View Post
Hey Guys

My first post...

We got a brand new HD PVR 2P installed on Saturday and enjoy it a lot! I do have a strange problem though, and after a lot of Googling, theses forums and a call to MC, could not find an answer.

My problem is that the volume of the channels with Dolby Digital sound cannot be altered using the DSTV remote. When watching MNet, MM1 or the HD channels and the sound is broadcast in Dolby Digital, the volume and mute does not work. If I press the “Language” button on the remote and choose “English Original” the volume and mute buttons function as usual, but when I change it back to “Surround Sound” it is disabled.

Is this normal or is there a setting I am not aware of?

My setup:

HD PVR 2P connected to Sony AMP via Optical cable.
HD PVR 2P connected to Samsung HD via HDMI.

Regards
Henk
Henk

Welcome to the forum. This question comes up every few weeks. Have a look at search feature (use the Google Option). But in essence digital audio does not contain volume meta data. You therefore need to control it via your amp or TV. It far better to set the volume on the decoder to fixed and programme the remote to remote relay the volume to your TV/Amp.

G