Forum > Value Added Services > DStv Catch Up > CU, CU+ and Broadcast Dolby 5.1 on-going issues
Old 2017-03-19 , 21:29
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgerm View Post
@Optimist: thanks for chiming in.

My thought would have been though that once something is received, that the same source file (for want of a better word) would be used for each of the multiple vectors of delivery, transcoding to other file types, sizes, wrappers and resolutions as needed.

If this be the case, then there is again no excuse, as sound should not be affected, nor should the volume and panning on each channel be changed. There is obviously a serious lack of technical know-how or quality control. Or there is a serious fault in the work-flow to get a single title out to each delivery option.

It has been a very long time, with no proper feedback, or solution. Sadly, in the mean time, we are missing something that is part of a paid for package, and something that is actively advertised by MC.

The odd technical issue aside (as these are the norm more than the exception), this is a really poor show. At the very least, it seems not enough QA is being performed at each stage...
Hi andrewgerm

Apologies for the delayed response. We're still awaiting confirmation from the CU team, regarding a fix which was due to be implemented in the previous week. Kindly give us more time to get in touch with the team again in order to get more info on what steps and measures have they taken regarding the issues raised.
Old 2017-03-20 , 11:10
Knows how to use a remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Pamela View Post
Hi andrewgerm

Apologies for the delayed response. We're still awaiting confirmation from the CU team, regarding a fix which was due to be implemented in the previous week. Kindly give us more time to get in touch with the team again in order to get more info on what steps and measures have they taken regarding the issues raised.
It seems you guys are still using pigeons to relay messages between you and the "team", with the amount of time it takes to just get a reply on the status of whats going on. Seriously can it take so long just to get an answer on an issue???

The apparent "fix which was due to be implemented last week" has also been going on for ages now. The only fixing going on their is fixing up a sandwich for lunch it seems.
Dual LNB on 90cm dish, Explora PVR (Primary) + Explora PVR (Secondary) + UEC 4 Tuner HD PVR (Spare, Not Connected), XV Activated, LG 47" LED tv + LG LED projector connected via hdmi to pvr's, Samsung surround sound connected via optical.
Old 2017-03-20 , 20:19
Watches YouTube a lot!

I don't think it will make any difference to how long we have to wait. My original encounter with this was about 6 months ago, if I recall.

There were a few more downloads last night (a few GB each, once again) that had non-existent surround. I've given up listing them, as I mentioned, as it seems it's actually most items.

My guess is there is a serious issue somewhere on the technical side of things there, and that this is not going to be solved any time soon. Just wish we actually knew not to bother with huge downloads before watching something, but unfortunately most things are now for download. Recording the broadcast doesn't help much either, as there are issues there too.

Sad, sad...
Old 2017-03-22 , 15:09
MultiChoice

Ok folks, here is the response from the relevant teams.

On the 9th of March a new software release was deployed and we're happy to announce that all Catch Up Plus movies and shows where Dolby 5.1 is available from the studio or channel will now be watchable with Dolby 5.1 audio on content processed from 9 March onwards. Where we don’t get supplied with Dolby 5.1 from the studio or channel, we process the video in Dolby 2.0.

When you see the Dolby icon as part of the meta-data on Explora, it means that the Catch Up title it processed in either Dolby 2.0 or 5.1.

Last edited by MC Marietjie; 2017-03-22 at 15:34. .
Old 2017-03-24 , 20:47
Changes remote batteries daily

Just tried Little Big Lies out on my brand new Explora 2 with CU+.

No 5.1 sound track. Very disappointing. I'm sure the live broadcast is in 5.1.
Old 2017-04-04 , 07:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
When you see the Dolby icon as part of the meta-data on Explora, it means that the Catch Up title it processed in either Dolby 2.0 or 5.1.
There's a MASSIVE difference between Dolby 2.0 and Dolby 5.1.

The catchup plus title and the "original" title have the same (incorrect) icon and yet the sound is different.

Just checked again on Billions. Episode 1 (CU+) is Dolby Digital 2.0 (Stereo) and Episode 2 (CU) is Dolby Digital 5.1 (Surround). Yet, "advertised" as the same.

Last edited by Simon; 2017-04-04 at 07:38. .
Old 2017-04-04 , 14:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
There's a MASSIVE difference between Dolby 2.0 and Dolby 5.1.

The catchup plus title and the "original" title have the same (incorrect) icon and yet the sound is different.

Just checked again on Billions. Episode 1 (CU+) is Dolby Digital 2.0 (Stereo) and Episode 2 (CU) is Dolby Digital 5.1 (Surround). Yet, "advertised" as the same.
Hi Simon

I'm checking with the relevant teams on this one. Feedback will be posted once received.
Old 2017-04-08 , 22:34

Stormers vs Chiefs

TERRIBLE picture quality.

Dolby 2.0 and not the advertised DDD (what does that mean?) Dolby 5.1
Old 2017-04-10 , 14:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Stormers vs Chiefs

TERRIBLE picture quality.

Dolby 2.0 and not the advertised DDD (what does that mean?) Dolby 5.1
Hi Simon

Sorry for the delayed response.

The CU team is aware of the issue with the quality of the files, and are working on a fix. The issue is the source files are interlaced, and in deinterlacing these we experience slight breakup on the files. An exact date for implementation of the fix unfortunately can't be confirmed at the moment.

Dolby 2.0 is 2 stereo pairs. Sport will always have this configuration.
Old 2017-04-10 , 15:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Pamela View Post
Dolby 2.0 is 2 stereo pairs. Sport will always have this configuration.
Not true. The original is broadcast is Dolby Digital 5.1.