Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > Help needed- replacing problematic PVR decoder.
Old 2017-02-25 , 11:51
Knows how to use a remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
It's not quite that basic.

Before more is discussed I suggest you think twice about doing this yourself as a first technical TV project for you, it requires things like careful alignment of the LNB and that done without disturbing the dish's alignment, checking the condition of the cables and connections, not over-tightening those, waterproofing, rewiring to your out building, keeping the heartbeat (HB) connection in place, and so on.
More than possible for you to manage with and you could even end up enjoying doing it , but not a simple task.

If you do decide to, just say so and I'm sure there will be further help on hand from others in the next few days.
But then best to wait for Geoff D to add his experienced advice.

I'm going to stay out of this one, really can't afford the time investment.
Thanks. I have read many responses from Geoff D where others have
made similar enquiries. Black UV protected RG6 cable was recommended to replace the old existing cable. Lining up the SLNB
seems a bit of a challenge and I am not sure about the extra view decoder which currently feeds to the MS.
Old 2017-02-25 , 12:18
Changes remote batteries daily

Here is a start from Optimist and me.

The cables may be fine, there is no need to replace if they are not worn or more than about 5 years old.

only hand tighten connections.
Use waterproofing tape over the ones on the SLNB.

The LNB alignment requires marking the bracket with the skew angle used on the twin lnb to replicate with the SLNB (it is more or less at the 4 o'clock position when looking towards the dish), and also the position of the LNB's neck in the bracket.
The Explora is more sensitive to signals so the original alignments may not be sufficient anymore. Geoff D can supply an alignment recipe by PM.

Any one of the SLNB unicable ports connects to the Explora.
The universal port connects to the other decoder's LNB input. You could join that cable where it used to connect through the MS, but it is better to have one unbroken cable.
See if it is the RF in or out port on the 4 tuner HD PVR that is being used for the HB cable and to avoid any possible confusion then it would be best to use the same port on the Explora.
If there are other connections going to to any TVs from the RF ports cabling you need to post about that.
also post if more than two TVs total are involved and if any distasnt remote controlling is in place.

We suggest you do not rush into it as you could end up without service for a few days. Geoff is not always here on weekends.
Old 2017-02-25 , 13:22
Changes remote batteries hourly

I just have a few more basics to add.

Use the terminators that come with the SLNB to terminate the spare SLNB unicable ports.

If joining cables then only use the professional cable joining barrels, available from retail. If outside then protect it from the elements well with quality insulation tape.

A Mod could end up moving this thread to the Installation section.

All the best with it :-)
Old 2017-02-25 , 13:30
Changes remote batteries hourly

Nearly forgot the authentication needs...

XV (XtraView) - before starting, with both older decoders still connected and on, phone the Call Centre and ask them to "break" the existing XV setup and say that you will be replacing the 4 tuner. Then wait until the older decoders are disabled by their process. Only then start the work. Not doing so can give you later headaches.
After setting up the new arrangement, then phone back the Call Centre again to enable everything.
Old 2017-02-26 , 10:23

I see Game are advertising the Explora 2 for R1999 and it includes the smart LNB, AND dish installation. I do not know if this is a misleading ad. Surely that price cannot include a new dish?
Old 2017-02-26 , 11:29
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

That is not a bad price at all. Explora 2A only at Game is R1499 and the SLNB is R449 total R1948 so you actually only pay R51 for installation. Compared to the lower price at Deon R1290 +R449 = R1739 you pay R260 for installation. That would probably include an upgrade to a 80cm dish if needed.
Old 2017-02-26 , 13:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Horn View Post
That is not a bad price at all. Explora 2A only at Game is R1499 and the SLNB is R449 total R1948 so you actually only pay R51 for installation. Compared to the lower price at Deon R1290 +R449 = R1739 you pay R260 for installation. That would probably include an upgrade to a 80cm dish if needed.
My existing dish is 80cm. The ad says "includes dish installation"
They must surely mean "includes fitting SLNB to your existing dish"
Old 2017-02-26 , 13:56
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

It would. A couple of years ago when I bought the DSD 1132 as my xv decoder at the time the price included installation. The installer checked my existing installation 90cm dish and installation. My installation incorporated a Satcr LNB. He left the 80cm dish and single with me because as he said it was paid for.