Forum > Decoders > Installation > 3 Exploras on XtraView
Old 2017-02-22 , 13:56
Still gets up to change channels

Thanks Geoff. well noted
Old 2017-02-22 , 15:06
Technical Myriad

PART 2.

The decision to use the SNB cabling for HB is affected by what one wants to doo with RF. There is also a case to be made that it is easier to distribute RF when all the decoders are co-located in one point.

Eliminating the HB out of the equation by using the SLNB cabling simplifies the distribution of RF even when the decoders are not all in the same location.

Cross control suing tvLINK eyes does complicate the RF distribution setup though.

None of MCs decoder are able to relay remote command received from a tvLINK eye via another decoder.

Hence, if there are any tvLINK eyes in the setup, the only way to effectively ensure all decoders can be remotely controlled form anywhere is to combine all RF OUT signals though an SLX type splitter and then distribute this combine signal to any remote viewing points making use of RF.

The 3 decoder method now requires an SLX splitter with 3 inputs, which then avoids having to cascade 2 x 2-input SLX splitters.

Having said all of this, RF is on the way out as more and more persons replace their TVs with HD TVs with HDMI inputs.

So you can send a lot of effort on getting an RF distribution in place and then find that it is no longer all that useful.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-02-22 at 15:16. .
Old 2017-02-22 , 15:14
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Having said all of this, RF is on the way out as more and more persons replace their TVs with HD TVs with HDMI inputs.

So you can send a lot of effort on getting an RF distribution place and then find that it is no longer all that useful.
Further to this, not all HD TVs can handle RF well. In my case the RF is jerky, only used on those TVs when via other equipment first which converts it to composite / HDMI.
Old 2017-04-30 , 01:50

Default 3 Explora's Xtraview combination

[QUOTE=emildev;303596]Just completed mine today in a 3 x Explora configuration with a single 501 SLNB - just fantastic - couple of things I can share - HB still traditional way via RF OUT - doesn't work through new SLNB as some suggested - UB 012/342/567/Remotes programmed 1/2/3, UHF changed for 3 channels.

Update - Diagram added

Attachment 6767[/QUOT

Hi. I just want to make sure if the "HB Destribution" is correctly planned and will work. Can you pls tell me if my "Tripple view" setup will work because I don't make use of all the equipment that you have in you're setup (Diagram).
Installation:
I'm planning to change an existing XV setup that consist of an Explora 1 (primary) and HD PVR 2P (secondary) to a "Tripple view" setup consist of the existing Explora 1 (primary) replacing the HD PVR 2P with Explora 2 (1st XV)and adding another Explora 2 (2nd XV). All 3 Explora's will be placed in 3 different rooms (Primary and 1st Xtraview ) bottom floor of double story house and the 2nd Xtraview in main bedroom top floor. No ceiling (only concrete). All cabeling already done through "condu" inside the walls.
Accordingly to your diagram of what I have available in the existing installation that I can use are the following:
1) Old type SLNB (2 Legacy and 4 Unicable)
2) The Ellies TVL3XV (2 In and 3 Out)
3) 1 x Ellies 2-way splitter (Both legs DC PASS)
I'm not using the "Fracarro UHF34" or the 2-way (One leg DC PASS) splitter, so the HB cable for the 2nd Xtraview decoder will go directly from the "RF Out" of the Explora 2 to the "IN 2" of the TVL3XV.
There was already one cable through to the main bedroom up stairs which was the RF cable used to the TV. I'm going to use that RF cable now for the HB from the "RF Out" of the 2nd Xtraview decoder in the main bedroom to the "IN 2" of the TVL3XV.
There's only one other HB cable I can use, which is the existing HB cable that is used between the Explora 1 (Primary) and the HD PVR 2P (Secondary). I will use this HB cable now between the Explora 1 (Primary) and the Explora 2 (1st Xtraview) split through the 2-way splitter (Both legs DC PASS) to the "IN 1" of the TVL3XV.
Now for the User band "frequency" and "index" settings. As only 0-7 can be used will the following settings be fine to work? (pls note that Explora 2 (1st XV) and Explora 2 (2nd XV)will share user band 3 in this case, because they both the same decoder types.
Explora 1 (Primary)
1210/0
1420/1
1680/2
Explore 2 (1st XV)
2040/3
1006/4
1057/5
Explora 2 (2nd XV)
1108/6
1159/7
1057/5
Will this installation also work? How can I upload my diagram to give you a clearer picture, onto this thread?
TX.

Last edited by Ferreil; 2017-04-30 at 02:02. .
Old 2017-04-30 , 09:19

Hi again,

@Emildev is not a regular so I doubt he'll see your post, but I'm sure someone will start helping you when they have time.

Just a couple of quick pointers from me for now;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreil View Post
As only 0-7 can be used...
There's no such restriction with a SLNB (either model) and Explora 2A units, you can use any of the available 30 user bands (0 - 29) for any of the tuners. (It's 24 on the older SLNB.)
As you mentioned, sharing tuner 3 is ok in your case having the same Explora model throughout, but still recommended to use independent user bands.

Quote:
How can I upload my diagram to give you a clearer picture, onto this thread?
See this thread: How to attach a picture to your post

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-04-30 at 09:33. . Reason: Older SLNB info
Old 2017-04-30 , 09:37
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by emildev View Post
Just completed mine today in a 3 x Explora configuration with a single 501 SLNB - just fantastic - couple of things I can share - HB still traditional way via RF OUT - doesn't work through new SLNB as some suggested - UB 012/342/567/Remotes programmed 1/2/3, UHF changed for 3 channels.

Update - Diagram added

Attachment 6767
Hi. I just want to make sure if the "HB Destribution" is correctly planned and will work. Can you pls tell me if my "Tripple view" setup will work because I don't make use of all the equipment that you have in you're setup (Diagram).
Installation:
I'm planning to change an existing XV setup that consist of an Explora 1 (primary) and HD PVR 2P (secondary) to a "Tripple view" setup consist of the existing Explora 1 (primary) replacing the HD PVR 2P with Explora 2 (1st XV)and adding another Explora 2 (2nd XV). All 3 Explora's will be placed in 3 different rooms (Primary and 1st Xtraview ) bottom floor of double story house and the 2nd Xtraview in main bedroom top floor. No ceiling (only concrete). All cabeling already done through "condu" inside the walls.
Accordingly to your diagram of what I have available in the existing installation that I can use are the following:
1) Old type SLNB (2 Legacy and 4 Unicable)
2) The Ellies TVL3XV (2 In and 3 Out)
3) 1 x Ellies 2-way splitter (Both legs DC PASS)
I'm not using the "Fracarro UHF34" or the 2-way (One leg DC PASS) splitter, so the HB cable for the 2nd Xtraview decoder will go directly from the "RF Out" of the Explora 2 to the "IN 2" of the TVL3XV.
There was already one cable through to the main bedroom up stairs which was the RF cable used to the TV. I'm going to use that RF cable now for the HB from the "RF Out" of the 2nd Xtraview decoder in the main bedroom to the "IN 2" of the TVL3XV.
There's only one other HB cable I can use, which is the existing HB cable that is used between the Explora 1 (Primary) and the HD PVR 2P (Secondary). I will use this HB cable now between the Explora 1 (Primary) and the Explora 2 (1st Xtraview) split through the 2-way splitter (Both legs DC PASS) to the "IN 1" of the TVL3XV.
Now for the User band "frequency" and "index" settings. As only 0-7 can be used will the following settings be fine to work? (pls note that Explora 2 (1st XV) and Explora 2 (2nd XV)will share user band 3 in this case, because they both the same decoder types.
Explora 1 (Primary)
1210/0
1420/1
1680/2
Explore 2 (1st XV)
2040/3
1006/4
1057/5
Explora 2 (2nd XV)
1108/6
1159/7
1057/5
Will this installation also work? How can I upload my diagram to give you a clearer picture, onto this thread?
TX.
As you have now indicated more details about your previous installation and what you want to do, we can provide you with a proper answer.

I will do so in separate post so as to not confuse your install with that of emildev, which was done at a specific point in time when the old Explora still had restrictions on how many userbands it could use, the new SLNB had just come onto the market, and there was still issues with using the LNB cabling and SLNB to relay the HB signal. All of this has changed in the meantime and we are now much better off. The same will apply to you IF you have updated the software on your Explora 1. In the mean time, a simple check on your part will show what userbands are available on your Explora 1. Just go to the networks setup options and verify if you are able to select any of the userbands available on the SLNBs.

The aspect is Emildev wanted to use what he had available, hence why he went with his particular installation, which is okay, but his solution is unnecessarily complicated and to be frank a bit messy, especially given what has transpired in the meantime. You also want to try and leave your existing RF distribution in place as far as possible and re-use what you have. It makes economic sense!

(1) The new SLNB provides for many more user bands than were available when this install was done.

The LMX 500 -- Userbands 0 - 23 [4 x Unicable, 2 x legacy Universal]
The LMX 501 -- Userbands 0 - 29 [3 x Unicable, 1 x legacy Universal]
The 24-1Z Sw -- Userbands 0 - 23 [4 x Unicable, 4 x legacy Universal] - requires a separate Quad or Quattro LNB

(2) The sw on the older Explora 1 has been updated (we think but in any event) the situation is now

Tuner 1 : Userbands 0 - 7 (if the sw has not been updated)
Tuners 2,3 : Userbands 0 - 29

There is therefore no need to share userbands between the decoders at all, an indeed it is far better NOT to share userbands between decoders.

(3) The older Explora and the HD decoder both require an external diplexer for HB distribution via the SLNB and the LNB cabling for HB via the LNB to work.

(4) There is an outstanding question whether one can in fact relay remote commands via the SLNB and its cabling. So If you want to distribute TV around the home via RF THEN the better way to distribute RF is via the RF cabling as we have always done, because it is there anyway.

Please start a new thread for your installation.

It is easy to upload a diagram. Simply use the advanced editing option when posting and follow the process for attaching a diagram, or follow the instructions given to you by Optimist.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-04-30 at 10:36. .
Old 2017-04-30 , 10:01

@Ferrell - best to stick to using just one new thread for your and our posts now, and once you've attached your diagram you'll probably get more answers from us.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-04-30 at 10:23. .
Old 2017-04-30 , 10:20

Thanks a lot guys. You're very helpfull. I will do just that.