Forum > Customer service > Customer service > DSTV: Really Poor Service!
Old 2017-01-27 , 14:53
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
Hi Geoff,
I frequently travel for extended periods, as you know. I turn the power off when away. It normally takes around an hour or so for the decoders to come back up with the necessary authorisations. I've never seen the messages and issues you've reported and never an overnight wait. I'll check again when I'm back in Jhb mid-Feb and post the results here. Cheers, K.
Thanks K. I was also quite taken aback because I did the same in November, but then I was away for only 9 days.

I made a point of starting up the Primary decoder first and HB became available as usual. Then the Secondary decoder started up and worked and the network scans were normal. BUT as soon as the service authentication steps kicked in the trouble started.

The errors I got were:

SC not valid for this decoder
SC not inserted
SC needs to be re-inserted.
SC error everyone else gets
The wrong region error.
Service has been suspended on both decoders at different times.
No HDD detected
HDD faulty in the UEC decoder.
Then finally a spate of E 19 errors.
After that a lot of reboots not triggered by myself.
Then the EPG failed to update on both decoders -- more network rescans.

Currently the Primary UEC HD decoder shows the correct "my channels" info, but the SD PVR is completely wrong. I cannot identify which package it is displaying. It is not the Premium, nor is it EasyView or any other. It is a mixture of what looks like Compact and Extra.

I would check on the decoders regularly and reboot them one by one. Primary first then secondary.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-01-27 , 16:08

Hi All,

Herewith some feedback.

The smartcard products are cycled on a regular basis. If your decoder is switched off for 2 or 3 days (or longer) the smartcard would not have received all the product updates.
In such cases, you would normally get an E30 error banner or other error messages.

The product update for your smartcard would have eventually cleared the error.

When experiencing the E30-4 error, please try and clear it by using self-service from your cellphone by dialling the USSD code number *120*68584#.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2017-01-27 , 20:29
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mpho View Post
Hi All,

Herewith some feedback.

The smartcard products are cycled on a regular basis. If your decoder is switched off for 2 or 3 days (or longer) the smartcard would not have received all the product updates.
In such cases, you would normally get an E30 error banner or other error messages.

The product update for your smartcard would have eventually cleared the error.

When experiencing the E30-4 error, please try and clear it by using self-service from your cellphone by dialling the USSD code number *120*68584#.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the feedback regarding the E30-4 error. I will probably try that next time.

So it is the "product updates" of the SC (whatever that is supposed to be, never mind I know what it is) that are behind a lot of these issues.

I presume therefore that the E30 error code clear "forces" all outstanding product updates to happen. If one leaves the decoder alone the updates take place sequentially one at a time?

Now what happens when you are not at home to be able to see what is going on and for one reason or another, the decoders get themselves into this state?

Hence why I say there is absolutely no point in leaving decoders running when away for an extended period. Just switch the whole bangshoot off.
Another one of the original ideas behind having a PVR facility bites the dust!
Old 2017-01-28 , 07:42
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Geoff We were away during August and September a total 5 weeks. The first 2 weeks at the Holiday apartment in J Bay we used the 2P and the remaining 3 weeks in Knysna with my Daughter the decoder stayed in it's box, Back at home I connected the decoder and after booting up when the "Decoder Rebooted " message appeared I pressed exit to skip the rescan and smartcard check. I had full decoder functionality and the XV worked perfectly as well. No BO titles or CU titles though, those took about 3 weeks to populate.
Old 2017-01-30 , 11:05
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Horn View Post
Geoff We were away during August and September a total 5 weeks. The first 2 weeks at the Holiday apartment in J Bay we used the 2P and the remaining 3 weeks in Knysna with my Daughter the decoder stayed in it's box, Back at home I connected the decoder and after booting up when the "Decoder Rebooted " message appeared I pressed exit to skip the rescan and smartcard check. I had full decoder functionality and the XV worked perfectly as well. No BO titles or CU titles though, those took about 3 weeks to populate.

That is interesting. So the decoders will start up properly with odd conflicts on the SC provided the second rescan and SC check is avoided? Over time I presume the SC updates would then run normally. Now to try this. ( Must go away again for another few weeks! )

Makes sense to me. Re-inforces my conclusion that most if not all of these problems we experience are related to how the service authentication system works and updates itself.

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-02-13 at 09:30. .
Old 2017-02-12 , 13:39
4K, baby!

Got back yesterday after a 6-week absence in the UK.

Did not see any of the reboots or strange errors that you experienced, Geoff.

Just the expected E19-4 error on all Explorae and all channels.

These errors cleared over time and channels returned in a manner that did not relate to package. i.e. Sports channels became enabled before the news channels, which returned much later. Finally PVR (trick mode) functionality returned this morning. XV partnership was not an issue.

So yes, I'm sure you are correct in your assertion that it's all about Authentication of the SC.

This is likely all a part of MC's ongoing fight against piracy and fraudulent activity by the crooks trying to illegally clone MC's technology and circumvent its security. So has to be lived with.

As also pointed out, there are now ways of clearing the error message by mobile phone or the web site. So only a minor inconvenience.

Cheers, K.
Old 2017-02-13 , 09:32
Technical Myriad

Thanks Keith for the feedback. So you agree, full functionality takes hours to return after being off for an extended period of time?
Old 2017-02-13 , 10:32
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Thanks Keith for the feedback. So you agree, full functionality takes hours to return after being off for an extended period of time?
Yes; and as I said in my previous post, they return in an unanticipated sequence.

I see you reported elsewhere that you had overnight issues.
I noticed around 2:30 this morning that both secondary Explorae were disabled awaiting a heartbeat from the primary. My physical connections had not been disturbed.

I quickly checked the primary and it was working fine; but live TV had been paused before we went to bed and was still in pause.

I simply rebooted all 3 Explorae with a long press on their front panels and normal service resumed. All was normal this morning.

Strange though
Cheers, K.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2017-02-13 at 10:35. .
Old 2017-02-13 , 10:36
Changes remote batteries hourly

Welcome back K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
Strange though
There were some irregular technical changes made overnight (discussed elsewhere) so probably related to that.