Forum > Decoders > Installation > Explora + HDPVR on one TV
Old 2017-02-10 , 14:26
Knows how to use a remote

Default Explora + HDPVR on one TV

Good afternoon. I have just concluded a discussion with DSTV technical on the telephone. They have informed me that I can not have a Explora and a HDPVR connected (via Xtraview) to the same TV as there is only one HDMI port on my TV. PLEASE CAN YOU CONFIRM IF THIS IS CORRECT.

(I currently have a DualView and a HDPVR linked Xtraview and the HDPVR plays through the HDMI and the DualView plays through RCI ports. DSTV tells me this is not possible with Explora+HDPVR as both will need their own HDMI port on the TV)

I currently place both PVRs next to each other and link through XtraView, then select on the TV which decoder I wish to view

PS - DSTV also said the installer would be able to transfer the current recordings from my DualView to my new Explora ! I then lost faith in the person advising me telephonically and know the best and only correct info is on this forum
Old 2017-02-10 , 14:57
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleng777 View Post
Good afternoon. I have just concluded a discussion with DSTV technical on the telephone. They have informed me that I can not have a Explora and a HDPVR connected (via Xtraview) to the same TV as there is only one HDMI port on my TV. PLEASE CAN YOU CONFIRM IF THIS IS CORRECT.
That depends on the TV you have

Quote:
(I currently have a DualView and a HDPVR linked Xtraview and the HDPVR plays through the HDMI and the DualView plays through RCIRCA ports. DSTV tells me this is not possible with Explora+HDPVR as both will need their own HDMI port on the TV)
No this is not true as it depends on the decoders you have. BUT what is true is that you will NOT be able to view the HD channels in HD quality through RF or RCA connections.

Quote:
I currently place both PVRs next to each other and link through XtraView, then select on the TV which decoder I wish to view

PS - DSTV also said the installer would be able to transfer the current recordings from my DualView to my new Explora ! I then lost faith in the person advising me telephonically and know the best and only correct info is on this forum.
No an installer CANNOT transfer recordings for you. MC may do this under very exceptional circumstances from decoder to another model of the same type, but the cases where they have agreed to do this are very few and far between.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-02-10 , 16:04
Knows how to use a remote

Hi - Apologies for misunderstanding. I was the one who stated to DSTV that my TV had only one HDMI port and two RCI ports. I am currently using teh one HDMI and One RCA for current set up of HDPVR and SDPVR. DSTV said I could not do this with Explora and HDPVR as I needed two HDMI ports.

I trust this is now clearer. Is this true what I was told

(PS - I am aware of the quality loss for feed via RCA or RF, but am willing to live with it if no other way of connecting Explora and HDPVR to same TV)
Old 2017-02-11 , 09:15
Changes remote batteries hourly

To connect HDMI-quality devices to a TV, one must normally have a separate HDMI port on the TV for each device.

The way around it is to use a HDMI Switch.
See http://www.hdcabling.co.za/hdmi-dvi-...ices-c-27.html
There's a number of other unrelated devices on that webpage, look at the descriptions for which of them are used as a HDMI Switch.

The least expensive is a manual switch listed there for R199, but it's sold out... so you can look elsewhere or put it on back-order.
Better switches that have remote control switching cost over R400 and upwards.

This company is in Centurion, Pretoria and Boksburg, Johannesburg (which won't help you in the Eastern Cape but may assist others reading the forum), they also do courier deliveries - most regulars here recommend them. There are a number of other online services who will also deliver.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-02-11 at 09:20. . Reason: Geographical info
Tags
hdmi ports, shortage