Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > HDPVR 2P and Explora 1 Power drops.
Old 2017-12-03 , 23:57
Technical Myriad

Default HDPVR 2P and Explora 1 Power drops.

Right now the picture is complete. The power instability affecting the older decoders IS also affecting the Explora 1.

Tonight at 18:50, my daughters two decoders rebooted at exactly the same Time. I was set up to monitor the LNB power feed and at that very moment, the power on both LNB ports on the 2P dropped. Bothe decoders were setup to record at that time. Both decoders lost those recordings, with the error message " recording stopped due to signal loss"

There is now no doubt at all. The CAS system is affecting all decoders with this issue. I fail to understand why anyone would implement a software change in the CAS system that compromises the power feed to the LNB ports.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-12-04 , 07:29
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Yeah that story about decoders " reaching end of life " is falling a bit flat now, as the reach of this issue is laying bare

Thanks for all the hard work Geoff
Old 2017-12-04 , 07:36
Changes remote batteries hourly

Sounds like you may have found the cause of other bugs as well Geoff. Hopefully MC will be coming up with a temporary power control bypass command to get rid of this soon.
Old 2017-12-04 , 09:01
MultiChoice

@GeoffD - please will you send us the data that you have, so we can investigate your claims?

You can email to me marietjie.groenewald at multichoice dot co dot za
Old 2017-12-04 , 13:42
Technical Myriad

Maybe I was not too clear about what I was doing, so to clarify:

I had myself setup to monitor the LNB power on the HD PVR 2P, with a simple multimeter. I was not expecting the Explora 1 to show any power fluctuations so I was not set up to try and do that.

It is really simple for MC to replicate. All that is needed is a storage scope or a storage multimeter (which I don't have) to monitor the LNB power feeds to pick up how the power levels change and then associate the changes with the CAS system sending/streaming authentication messages to the decoders. The results will be far more accurate than my ones and will be time stamped.

My daughter's setup is 2 decoders connected to a LMX 500 SLNB, using the available unicable ports normally. I had temporarily connected the 2P decoder to the 2 legacy ports on the SLNB for the purposes of monitoring the power during the authentication process with mu home made MS, fully expecting to see the power levels change on both LNB ports, which is exactly what happened.

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-12-04 at 13:45. .
Old 2017-12-04 , 14:30
MultiChoice

@GeoffD - as you have been gathering the data, Phil Nicholson asked if you would be so kind as to share the data with us. This is not about replicating it but about seeing what you have seen on your side.
Old 2017-12-06 , 17:36
Technical Myriad

I will not be able to get back to redo the measurements for a while.
So as already reported with the other decoders, the same thing happens during the authentication checks when this decoder is connected to a TWIN LNB as it was originally designed to be connected.

The LNB voltages drop below the threshold levels of 11V (VER) and 18V (HOR), which leads to signal loss and if this happens during the authentication check, the decoder WILL reboot, and will keep on rebooting until it is able to complete the authentication checks.

I do not know what is happening to an Explora 1 connected to a LMX 500 LNB that causes it also to reboot during the authentication process. I will need to spend some time on this but, given what happens to the other decoders already checked, and knowing that the LMX500 LNB requires plenty of power to work, it seems very likely that exactly the same thing is happening, if the LNB power feed fluctuates for any reason.

I have solved the problem for my daughter by taking a deactivated HDPVR 2P, and simply connecting it up to a spare unicable port to act as a power supply. That has stopped whatever is going on.

Not really interested in doing anymore investigation.

MC can make use of the information supplied or not, just as they please.