Old 2010-01-05 , 13:44
Knows how to use a remote

Smile New XtraView Installation Help

Hi

I currently have a 1110 decoder on a premium subscription with a single LNB dish.
I am going to purchase a new Pace HD PVR tomorrow sometime and then I will be getting an installer to install it as I don't have all the correct equipment .

I have attached an image of how I think the new setup should look and work.
The two decoders the 1110 and the HD PVR will be in lounge 1 with the HD PVR connected to the main TV via HDMI.
I then need to connect all 5 other TVs to be able to view both viewing enviroments.
The installer recommended a SatCR LNB.
Only the 3 tvs in the bedrooms will need to be able to change channels using a Tv Eye. The TVs in the kitchen and Lounge 2 do not need to be able to change channels.

Will the Passive Splitters be good enough to keep enough voltage for the 3 TV Eyes?
Do I need to worry about an in-line DC Block on the TVs without TV Eyes?
Will this configuration work correctly?

Thanks for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSTV.jpg (79.8 KB, 148 views)
Old 2010-01-05 , 13:57
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo0m View Post
Hi

I currently have a 1110 decoder on a premium subscription with a single LNB dish.
I am going to purchase a new Pace HD PVR tomorrow sometime and then I will be getting an installer to install it as I don't have all the correct equipment .

I have attached an image of how I think the new setup should look and work.
The two decoders the 1110 and the HD PVR will be in lounge 1 with the HD PVR connected to the main TV via HDMI.
I then need to connect all 5 other TVs to be able to view both viewing enviroments.
The installer recommended a SatCR LNB.
Only the 3 tvs in the bedrooms will need to be able to change channels using a Tv Eye. The TVs in the kitchen and Lounge 2 do not need to be able to change channels.

Will the Passive Splitters be good enough to keep enough voltage for the 3 TV Eyes?
Do I need to worry about an in-line DC Block on the TVs without TV Eyes?
Will this configuration work correctly?

Thanks for your help.
It has been recommended to put a dc block on the 1110 decoders connection to the first splitter (the heartbeat combiner) but you might find you won't have any problems not using one. You should however have a DC block on the TV's without TV links (kitchen, lounge 2) especially if these rooms have old TV's.

I would not create a 2nd split from a 4 way passive splitter. I recommend you rather swap the 4 way passive splitter for an active one.
Old 2010-01-05 , 16:39

Thanks very much for the help gambit.

I have added the DC Blocks and included an active splitter, time to get some power into the roof!
Seems like the UEC PVR is slightly better and is arriving everywhere. I'm going to wait till I get one and for now go buy the components from space tv and ellies then just install it all myself.

Does anyone know of a better place to buy the components from? I'd rather buy things from a smaller owned shop that cares about its customers

My current shopping list:
  • SatCR LNB
  • Active 4 way splitter
  • 3 DC Blocks
  • 3 TV Eyes
  • 2 * 2 Way Passive Splitters
  • Cabling
  • Connectors
  • Weatherproofing
  • UEC PVR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSTV_rev1.jpg (90.9 KB, 81 views)
Old 2010-01-05 , 16:44

I have found that multichoice is the best place to buy tv links. The last time (about a year ago) I got one from them I paid R80 where everywhere else wanted more than double. I think space wanted to sell me one for more than R200 You are buying 3 so you don't want to get ripped off.
Old 2010-01-05 , 16:49

You may not need external power on your active splitter. I have setup a SD PVR at my folks house powering a 4 way active splitter and 3 of the old tv links (silver ones that are have poorer performance than the new black ones) without any issues in the last 3 years.
Old 2010-01-06 , 08:10
Technical Myriad

I would replacde the first 2 way splitter with a "T piece" instead, as the splitters you are proposing to use do not always provide sufficient coupling between the outputs for the HB signal.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2010-01-06 , 11:35

Thumbs up

Thanks for the help guys.
I'm definitely going to be shopping around for things, I don't want to pay R200 per TV link!
I'll see how the Active Splitter performs first then I'll get it powered if there's problems.

Geoff D, cool I'll use a T piece instead.

My current shopping list:
  • SatCR LNB
  • Active 4 way splitter (SLX4)
  • 3 DC Blocks
  • 3 TV Eyes
  • 2 Way Passive Splitter
  • T Piece
  • Cabling
  • Connectors
  • Weatherproofing
  • UEC PVR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSTV_rev2.jpg (89.3 KB, 76 views)
Old 2010-01-07 , 10:17

Yesterday, Wednesday, I watched the accreditted Dstv installer doing a friend's xtraView installation and he phoned MC apparently to activate the Xtraview. He waited on the phone with MC for about one-and-a-half hours because MC seems to have had problems. That is really expensive labour hours wasted for an installer.
Old 2010-01-07 , 14:52

Got my new UEC HD PVR and TV Eye links the tv links were only R70! Now I have to wait for Space TV to get stock of some more SatCR LNBs :/. Does anyone know of a place in the Durban North/Umhlanga area that has them for R1000 or less?
Old 2010-01-10 , 16:41

All installed and working 100% Besides DSTV not recognizing my Heartbeat number while setting it up.

Tags
1110, halp!, hd pvr, tv eye, xtraview