Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > DStv Products > XtraView > HD PVR X 2, Xtraview using both RF outs to other TVS
Old 2012-12-18 , 19:37
Still listens to the wireless

Default HD PVR X 2, Xtraview using both RF outs to other TVS

I have 2 X HD PVRs (Primary and Secondary) working in Xtraview set up but both TV1 and TV2 are using their respective HDMI outputs to the TVs so they are working fine. I now wish to make use of the RF outputs to other TVs in the house - four to be precise.

I have done the wiring exactly as shown on page 17 of the Xtraview Tech manual connecting the two RF outs to a "passive" splitter in "reverse" mode, i.e using the two Outputs as inputs from the two PVRs. Herewith the problem: If i connect both PVRs at the splitter then i get no viewing in the rooms (scrambled) however either one on their own work perfectly. It is almost as if they are clashing with each other.

I have a seperate heartbeat cable running between the two PVRs as well although technically this is not necessary. I have tried both configurations, i.e a dedicated heartbeat and also using the RF out through the splitter as an alternate heartbeat but both configurations give the same problem.
Old 2012-12-18 , 20:51
Knows how to use a remote

Have you changed the UHF signal of each PVR so that they not running on same frequency? Might work?

Tapatalk
Old 2012-12-18 , 21:49
Technical Myriad

must make sure thta the decoders are using different RF channels. The defaul is ch 63. select another ch for at least one of the decoders, say ch 61.

Better still if you are not using a terrestrial antenna, choose 2 new channels in the 20's, say 23 and 25 instead.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2012-12-19 , 18:20
Still listens to the wireless

Default 2 X HD PVRs and extra TVs on RF out

I'm posting an update for everyones benefit to understand how it was resolved to indicate how beneficial the Forum was. I used a combination of the suggestions on the Forum but also the great help of Morne Engelbrecht at SATECH Electronics in Fourways where i went to buy the hardware. I expected to spend loads but total hardware cost me R32 for a straight T-piece and few connectors. I replaced the "passive" 2 Way splitter with the T-piece and also pulled out the extra hearbeat cable so the RF outs are joined with the T-piece and this also serves as the heartbeat cable and feeds another 6 way splitter to the rooms.

I then adjusted the frequencies on both PVRs to 21 and 31 respectively. I have excellent picture on five extra TVs - Happy family.

Thanks to all and Morne and his shop assistant!
Old 2012-12-20 , 08:11
Technical Myriad

thanks for the FB.

Yes the installation manual ver 3.1 suggests the T-piece solution on the RF OUTs as the most flexible and reliable install method

The next step would have been to suggest you throw out the splitter used as a combiner. If the splitter is a high quality one, it would have plenty of isolation between the 2 out ports which is a problem. The T -piece offers no isolation and the lowest possible insertion loss which means it works the best in this application. It is NOT however always the best solution.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Tags
hd pvir, rf out, xtraview