Old 2012-08-25 , 10:20
Still listens to the wireless

Default HD PVR as Secondary Decoder

I have Xtraview in my home already. The Primary decoder is in one room and the Secondary is in the lounge. They are both Sinlge view Decoders... I want to buy a PVR decoder but make it my secondary decoder. Is this possible? Will it work? Will I have to rewire my home to accommodate the PVR requirements?
Old 2012-08-25 , 19:05
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung Suzie View Post
I have Xtraview in my home already. The Primary decoder is in one room and the Secondary is in the lounge. They are both Sinlge view Decoders... I want to buy a PVR decoder but make it my secondary decoder. Is this possible? Will it work? Will I have to rewire my home to accommodate the PVR requirements?
Yes it can be made to be the secondary, but you should read the installation manual before you decide on its role.

See this : http://forum.dstv.com/showpost.php?p=26295&postcount=1

Yes there is some work required to accommodate the PVR as you will need 3 antenna feeds.

What do you have in place at this time?

What sort of LNB, a MS?
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2012-08-26 , 21:07

I'm not sure what I have or rather what it's called... On my primary decoder I have an LNB and RF IN and on my secondary decoder I have an LNB and an RF Out. Does this help or make sense? I think this is also because they are both Single view Decoders. Is there a specific place i should look to find this information? Anyway, do you think I have to completely rewire more home to accommodate the PVR?

Last edited by Yung Suzie; 2012-08-26 at 21:39. .
Old 2012-08-26 , 21:17
Technical Myriad

(1) Assuming you do not live in a compex with a communal antenna, then:

(2) You have to at the moment have 2 cables coming from the antenna, one connected to each of the LNB ports on the decoders. if so you have a TWIN LNB in place.

(3) IF you plane to installe the HD PVR 2P, you will need to install a Multiswitch (2 x4), connected to the TWIN LNB, and then take 2 cables from thta to the HD PVR, and a 3rd cable to the single view decoder .

OR

you could replace the TWIN LNB with a SATCR LNB, use the existing cabling and take one port to each decoder as it is now.

(4) Then the rest of the install can remain as is.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2012-08-29 , 20:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
(1) Assuming you do not live in a compex with a communal antenna, then:

(2) You have to at the moment have 2 cables coming from the antenna, one connected to each of the LNB ports on the decoders. if so you have a TWIN LNB in place.

(3) IF you plane to installe the HD PVR 2P, you will need to install a Multiswitch (2 x4), connected to the TWIN LNB, and then take 2 cables from thta to the HD PVR, and a 3rd cable to the single view decoder .

OR

you could replace the TWIN LNB with a SATCR LNB, use the existing cabling and take one port to each decoder as it is now.

(4) Then the rest of the install can remain as is.
Thank you so much for your advice! Will do the necessary research and go accordingly.
Thank you!
Tags
hd pvr, lnb cable, secondary decoder, xtraview