Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > DStv Products > XtraView > XtraView Waiting for communcation every night from 6-10pm
Old 2011-06-11 , 20:32
Still listens to the wireless

Angry XtraView Waiting for communcation every night from 6-10pm

I have this weird problem. I have an HD PVR + 1110 Xtraview.
Works fine but every evening, sometime between 17h45 and maybe 18h15, the Xtraview loses heartbeat and I get "waiting for communication" error and red light etc. on the 1110.
Happens almost without fail every day between those times, but never (or very very rarely) at other times of the day. hot or cold weather - doesnt matter - its been happening for ages.
I replaced the HD PVR about a month ago (which was doing it too) cos the hard drive failed, but the replacement is doing the same thing, but always around the same time every night.
I wonder if there is some update being pushed, or downloads started or something "remote" that keeps causing this?
Rebooting either or both decoders doesnt help. Around 22h30 or 23h00 ... boom .. signal returns. like clockwork. go figure.

Today I took out my frustration on some poor call centre person who started reading the standard script at my wife, despite her explaination, so now I am extending my search for assistance to the place I probably should have started my search months ago...

I cant believe I am the only one having this problem..?!
Old 2011-06-11 , 21:33
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerius View Post
I have this weird problem. I have an HD PVR + 1110 Xtraview.
Works fine but every evening, sometime between 17h45 and maybe 18h15, the Xtraview loses heartbeat and I get "waiting for communication" error and red light etc. on the 1110.
Happens almost without fail every day between those times, but never (or very very rarely) at other times of the day. hot or cold weather - doesnt matter - its been happening for ages.
I replaced the HD PVR about a month ago (which was doing it too) cos the hard drive failed, but the replacement is doing the same thing, but always around the same time every night.
I wonder if there is some update being pushed, or downloads started or something "remote" that keeps causing this?
Rebooting either or both decoders doesnt help. Around 22h30 or 23h00 ... boom .. signal returns. like clockwork. go figure.

Today I took out my frustration on some poor call centre person who started reading the standard script at my wife, despite her explaination, so now I am extending my search for assistance to the place I probably should have started my search months ago...

I cant believe I am the only one having this problem..?!
Hi

There was a similar issue last year at was environmental. Do you have any timers that come on like lights or switch off like a pool pump?

Also IR radiation like a TV light sensor can cause this.

G
Old 2011-06-11 , 22:31
4K, baby!

Question

Quote:
......Works fine but every evening, sometime between 17h45 and maybe 18h15, the Xtraview loses heartbeat and I get "waiting for communication" ......
Welcome to the Forum, Alerius; possible late afternoon sun on the IR receiver on either of the decoders?? you don't say where you are situated, so I'm unsure when dusk is at your house??? Cheers, K.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2011-06-11 at 22:35. .
Old 2011-06-12 , 00:52
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
Hi

There was a similar issue last year at was environmental. Do you have any timers that come on like lights or switch off like a pool pump?

Also IR radiation like a TV light sensor can cause this.

G
Most households have a "Ripple Relay" switch installed next to their electrical distribution box

which City Power activates at peak times to control the power supply to hot-water geysers.

If your investigation turns to suspect environmental causes, keep this one in mind as a possibility!
Old 2011-06-12 , 08:40
4K, baby!

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homealone View Post
.........Most households have a "Ripple Relay" switch installed next to their electrical distribution box.............
An excellent suggestion to keep in mind, for one of those unexplained odd events, homealone.

A switching signal down the mains could cause brief interference & disruption and the resultant relay switching could certainly produce say, an unexpected 'thump' through the subwoofer due to a spike down to mains which could equally disrupt the operation of a decoder.

Having re-read the original post, it looks like a reboot is necessary to re-establish the heartbeat, so it's possible that something in the mains is causing a problem. We'd need to get a list of switching times, by area, from the local energy supplier, to be sure whether we can eliminate this.

We've also seen burglar alarm self tests giving significant audio interference in the subwoofer during their daily 'heartbeat' radio transmission, so something electrical (interference down the mains, typically due to switching) or something that transmits (radio frequency interference) , daily at this time should always be considered as a possiblity, Cheers, K.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2011-06-12 at 08:59. . Reason: re-read the original post.
Old 2011-06-12 , 18:50
Still listens to the wireless

Thanks for all the suggestions / feedback.
I did consider environmental (dusk etc.) but its not that consistent - as I said it's sometime around 6pm - if it was related to sunset it should have been getting earlier for the past few months.
Today it went at around 17h40 -17h45. The alarm or some other electromagentic interference could knock out the heartbeat, but then I would expect a power-recycle (of either primary, secondary or both) to fix it, which it doesnt.
So I just did the following:
1. Power-cycled both decoders (cold-rebooted). nothing.
2. Left it for 10 min (it can take a few min to get the heartbeat). Still nothing.
3. I went into the advanced options and the secondary was "waiting for heartbeat" although the primary said it was sending one.
4. I forced a heartbeat test (yellow button on secondary) and ... it worked. Secondary started getting a valid heartbeat and has now been working for 10+ min.

This is not conclusive but indicates to me that the primary is somehow losing the plot and is not sending the heartbeat from a certain time (maybe some kind of power fluctuation?). I will continue to monitor and provide feedback...
Old 2011-06-13 , 08:53
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions / feedback.
I did consider environmental (dusk etc.) but its not that consistent - as I said it's sometime around 6pm - if it was related to sunset it should have been getting earlier for the past few months.
Today it went at around 17h40 -17h45. The alarm or some other electromagentic interference could knock out the heartbeat, but then I would expect a power-recycle (of either primary, secondary or both) to fix it, which it doesnt.
So I just did the following:
1. Power-cycled both decoders (cold-rebooted). nothing.
2. Left it for 10 min (it can take a few min to get the heartbeat). Still nothing.
3. I went into the advanced options and the secondary was "waiting for heartbeat" although the primary said it was sending one.
4. I forced a heartbeat test (yellow button on secondary) and ... it worked. Secondary started getting a valid heartbeat and has now been working for 10+ min.

This is not conclusive but indicates to me that the primary is somehow losing the plot and is not sending the heartbeat from a certain time (maybe some kind of power fluctuation?). I will continue to monitor and provide feedback...
Maybe some more info on your install would be helpful.
How are the two decoders connected togther, which HDPVR, etc.

Exactly what do you mean by " force a HB test" by pressing the yellow button on the 1110?

Not many of us have 1110s anymore --------
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Tags
communication, xtraview