Old 2017-02-19 , 20:08
Knows how to use a remote

Default Slow Download Speeds

So at first I was thinking maybe this is a problem my side. But I have tested the lan cable, rebooted the router etc.

I will put it in perspective: I have a 100Mbps Fiber Line, any other downloads on any other device except the Explora v1 is blazingly quick and painless.

Not when I use Catchup Plus. Then is downloading at 1MB per 5 seconds.

I checked on the Explora and it reports I have 100Mbps so I am I missing something? Randburg/Multichoice servers? Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Last edited by JacoHD; 2017-02-19 at 20:13. .
Old 2017-02-19 , 20:23
Changes remote batteries daily

I've given up streaming directly from CU+. Sometimes it's fine, other times not. I just download it and watch a bit later
40Mb VDSL (ISP AH Capped Unshaped)
------------------------------------------
DSD1110 in holiday mode
DSTV Mobile via Drifta WiFi (S5& iPad)
Old 2017-02-20 , 09:38
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacoHD View Post
So at first I was thinking maybe this is a problem my side. But I have tested the lan cable, rebooted the router etc.

I will put it in perspective: I have a 100Mbps Fiber Line, any other downloads on any other device except the Explora v1 is blazingly quick and painless.

Not when I use Catchup Plus. Then is downloading at 1MB per 5 seconds.

I checked on the Explora and it reports I have 100Mbps so I am I missing something? Randburg/Multichoice servers? Anyone else experiencing this problem?
Hi JacoHD.

The 100Mbps reported by your Explora is simply the wired Ethernet connection speed between your Explora and the DSTV Connector (or whatever other Ethernet Bridge you may be using)

However fast your Fibre WAN capability may be, your Explora will only perform as well as the device to which it is physically connected. The 100Mbps shown gives no indication of the wireless transfer rate between your Fibre Router and the DSTV Connector.

Please take a look at post 3 in this thread.
http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php...626#post331626

So, short version: to be sure of what your Explora is seeing, you should do a speed test, using a PC, with the cable that normally plugs into the Explora. TIP: Don't forget to turn wireless OFF on the PC when doing the speed test to ensure you are using the DSTV Connector as your network device.

All that said, I fully agree that the performance of MC's media servers is sometimes (time of day and day of week dependent) sluggish in the extreme; buffering sometimes occurs, particularly if watching in HD. I had exactly this problem on Saturday evening watching Childhood's End on Catch up plus.

To be sure it was not my issue, I ran a Speed test on a PC connected to the same Ethernet switch as the Explora. Results were absolutely fine.

We've seen this issue before and MC has never offered an adequate explanation. @GeoffD has done some testing on network routes to the media servers and has questioned the routing.

Cheers, K.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2017-02-20 at 10:09. .
Old 2017-02-20 , 09:54
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
To be sure it was not my issue, I ran a Speed test on a PC connected to the same Ethernet switch as the Explora. Results were absolutely fine.
I can vouch for this. My speedtest returned 30Mbps+ from the same switch (on a 40Mbps VDSL line)
40Mb VDSL (ISP AH Capped Unshaped)
------------------------------------------
DSD1110 in holiday mode
DSTV Mobile via Drifta WiFi (S5& iPad)
Old 2017-02-21 , 09:34
Still listens to the wireless

Angry Same here

I also experience buffering when watching in HD. This is definitely a Multichoice routing problem. I wish more people would take the time to complain so that something can be done about this. This is not a premium service.
Old 2017-02-24 , 13:24
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Hi JacoHD and @ramsbod

Apologies for the delayed response. Our tech team has advised that you perform a speed test with WiFi connector connected to your laptop and configured to connect to the internet. This way you can see at what speed is the WiFi connector distributing connection. Your PC WiFi should also be off as well. If get the optimum speed with the WiFi connector connected, then team will need to understand why the decoder is slowing down.

Also can you confirm if you are seeing the same for CU+ and ShowMax. This way we can try understand if the issue is with the services of the particular server.
Old 2017-02-24 , 15:36
4K, baby!

Hi JacoHD,
As a start and to eliminate potential issues as you go.....
Please Take a look at this thread and follow the two tutorials in posts 3 and 13.
http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=37281

Cheers, K
Old 2017-02-24 , 21:34

Hey guys @Sandtonman @MC Pamela

Thanks for the replies. I am not on Wifi I am on LAN.

Therefore I should be getting great speed when downloading from Catchup Plus.

The LAN cable/connection is not the problem either when I plug in the same LAN cable from Explora V1 into my Laptop I get close to 100Mbps. I suspect the other posters are correct the Download Servers especially for HD is just not fast enough, which is ridiculous since this is local bandwidth number one and secondly this is suppose to be a "premium" product offering... #thisguy
Old 2017-02-25 , 09:50
4K, baby!

Hi Jaco,
Yes; we have seen similar issues with buffering and " disconnected" messages when the Explora is physically on line and connected t a fast internet connection. The issues are more commonplace when watching in HD.

The network paths to the media servers apparently vary. I know that @GeoffD has done some work on this.

My SP is MWEB and I certainly see the issue at peak times. Mid-evening.

As users we have no certain way of locating the point of constraint; but MC does. It is aware of the issue.

Cheers, K.
Old 2017-02-25 , 12:11

Thanks @Sandtonman, I see the issues constantly.

My Service Provide is Telkom and I tested it other streaming services like Netflix works wonderful at the same time when Catchup Plus plays up which just tells me that its a problem with the routing to the download servers or not enough bandwidth capacity on Multichoice's side.
Tags
catchup plus, download speed