View Poll Results: Do you miss the Forum King?
Yes! My heart feels incomplete when the Forum King is not on the forum 1 8.33%
Yes! I think he should make more effort to be here - I don't care if he's busy 5 41.67%
No! Who is the Forum King anyway? 8 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll
Old 2016-11-22 , 15:09
4K, baby!

Thanks Orange, I know the Mall you describe. We almost never head out West and think it's a bit further than Eastgate.
Spell checker tends to ignore CAPS so probably the reason 'apologies' was missed
Cheers K.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 2016-11-27 , 12:25
Changes remote batteries hourly

I just had a really troubling security incident with my one credit card from BlueBean (a division of Standard Bank) - I'm posting this so others can be aware, anything like this should be reported to your bank immediately!

Bought some goods from my local café. The teller entered the amount on the card machine and it then spat out the approved slip, no pin requested!!! What the hell??!
Old 2016-11-27 , 12:51

According to Standard Bank's security centre, this is normal
If a card is swiped instead of inserted, all the merchant has to do is enter the expiry date!!

What a joke! Major complaint underway and off to the press with this!

EDIT: It's one of these new "tap-tap" cards, so one can just make it do a tap dance near the right kind of tillpoint and that alone will approve anything up to R200....... well you know where they can shove their tap-tap idea!!

Last edited by Optimist; 2016-11-27 at 13:03. .
Old 2016-11-27 , 13:57
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
According to Standard Bank's security centre, this is normal
If a card is swiped instead of inserted, all the merchant has to do is enter the expiry date!!

What a joke! Major complaint underway and off to the press with this!

EDIT: It's one of these new "tap-tap" cards, so one can just make it do a tap dance near the right kind of tillpoint and that alone will approve anything up to R200....... well you know where they can shove their tap-tap idea!!
This is totally unacceptable. Even if the amount is perhaps limited to R200. If I was with Standard, which thankfully I'm not, I'd immediately tell them what to do with this sort of security and move my money elsewhere.

Optimist, I have room under my mattress for your millions?
Old 2016-11-27 , 14:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle bailey View Post
Optimist, I have room under my mattress for your millions?
Thanks BB, I would consider that if I didn't have my own mattress

(No millions here, just lots of past business turnover which does not necessarily equal profit )
Old 2016-11-28 , 07:23
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
I just had a really troubling security incident with my one credit card from BlueBean (a division of Standard Bank) - I'm posting this so others can be aware, anything like this should be reported to your bank immediately!

Bought some goods from my local café. The teller entered the amount on the card machine and it then spat out the approved slip, no pin requested!!! What the hell??!
This is very scary. I don't think I would bank with standard bank anytime soon

Explora 1
Old 2016-11-28 , 10:25
4K, baby!

Quote:
This is the entire motivation behind the tap-and-go cards - so things can move along faster at music festivals etc without requiring pins etc. You should be able to disable the tap-and-go feature though - I specifically had to activate mine at ABSA and then had to sign a document acknowledging that the card is then as good as cash up to the specified amount and that I will look after it.
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2016-11-28 , 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krugie View Post
You should be able to disable the tap-and-go feature though - I specifically had to activate mine at ABSA and then had to sign a document acknowledging that the card is then as good as cash up to the specified amount and that I will look after it.
Not the case with this lot, it just works... although they claim that it doesn't allow for any of this if the merchant isn't involved with the system, and this merchant I used just has normal small card machines...

Contactless.jpg

Fascinating how they think they can claim that it increases security!

I guess I'll look into it further when I have the time, this week is too busy for me.

Last edited by Optimist; 2016-11-28 at 10:55. .
Old 2016-11-28 , 16:30
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Not the case with this lot, it just works... although they claim that it doesn't allow for any of this if the merchant isn't involved with the system, and this merchant I used just has normal small card machines...

Attachment 7170

Fascinating how they think they can claim that it increases security!

I guess I'll look into it further when I have the time, this week is too busy for me.
Very interested to hear more about the above so please keep us, me?, updated.

However, I'd like to ask a television type question. Why is it that most 32", if not all, are only HD Ready? Every television set that I know which is bigger than 32" is full HD. Then I have a smaller 22", think it's that size, television set which is full HD. So, if the smaller tv and the bigger tvs are both full HD then why can they not build a 32" full HD television set? Something that's been on my mind for a couple of years now.
Old 2016-11-29 , 08:14
4K, baby!

My wife's Standard Bank card has been contactless for around 2-years. I think the limit is R200 in SA.

We have had contactless cards in the UK for several years and regularly tap and go for up to 30 quid. It certainly saves time at the checkout or fuel station for a "splash-and-dash"!

Your regular cards are not secure in the event of a "swipe" in any case, signatures are rarely checked and my Diners Card does not even have chip and pin, so it gets swiped, every transaction.

So what's the big deal about contactless? .....

The main concern is cloning without card theft, rather than physical loss of card. So, when I bought my son a new "Fossil" leather wallet and matching travel pouch, when last in the UK, each of them had a label over card section stating that they are NFC secure.

So no one can brush past him with a new piece of tech and clone his contactless cards while still his wallet! That's the primary risk!

Cheers, K.