Old 2010-06-05 , 17:28
4K, baby!

Smile Remote controls: "MC does it best!" ...

... how good to be able to say that we have somethings that are just much better than their European counterparts.

Well that's the case with our PVR remote controls (particularly the most recent UEI A3)

Three things that are great

1) The "trick mode toggle"; it sems to be unique to DSTV and it's SO much better that all the PVR RCs I've seen here (including Sky+ and Virgin Media+).

The little button on our DSTV PVR RCs that allows pause, play, advance, rewind, speed change from one button that you can find in the dark, it's great and exclusive to us. All the remotes I've seen here in the UK have conventional individual small buttons for the various player functions; After using our DSTV remote they are all difficult and clumsy to use; particularly in low or zero light.

2) Learning facility and mapping areas. Though the big name RCs have on board databases for many TVs, these typically just allow the TVs volume control to be emulated. There is generally no learning facility, nor the ability to design your own RC functionality in a separate area, as we can easily do.

3) Simplicity. Our remotes are simple and easy to use. The buttons are a decent size and they are just not overcomplicated. Pretty much all the remotes I've seen here are overly complex and where important buttons are small and get lost in the masses.

C4, please pass on the complement to the team responsible, and in particular the person who came up with the Trick Mode Toggle! Though the early ones broke off (for everyone in the entire African continent, except Geoff) it's really the best thing about our remote, by a mile.

Cheers, K

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2014-08-30 at 08:51. . Reason: Title
Old 2010-06-07 , 22:16
MultiChoice

Thanks indeed!
I am hoping the next model will be even better. (Request for proposal just went out)
The current remote has no serious flaws that I am aware of, but we need to introduce some adjustments to accommodate future interface changes...
I am also getting rid of the dial and hopefully will be able to introduce an LED display...

Last edited by : ) C4; 2010-06-07 at 22:30. .
Old 2010-06-08 , 07:13
Changes remote batteries moderately.

Don't forget the RF
Old 2010-06-08 , 08:11
A big, eagle-eyed baobab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by : ) C4 View Post
I am also getting rid of the dial and hopefully will be able to introduce an LED display...
Sounds good
Old 2010-06-08 , 08:31
Changes remote batteries daily

Smile

Quote:
Great news!!
An LED display would be great as would backlighting.

I am also a big fan of the HDPVR universal remotes. The macros, learning mode and relay functions work great.
Old 2010-06-08 , 08:43
4K, baby!

Quote:

Hi C4, I rather like the "dial", but understand it's mechanical and can fail.
As long as the trick mode toggle remains, plus A, B, C, & D mapping areas are still selectable by another means and the learning facility & with more memory remains, then it's cool.

My motto is "If it aint broke, then don't fix it" and what we have is really so practical, flexible and easy to use. Cheers, K.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2012-05-16 at 08:54. .
Old 2010-06-08 , 09:34

Quote:
Thanks indeed!
I am hoping the next model will be even better. (Request for proposal just went out)
The current remote has no serious flaws that I am aware of, but we need to introduce some adjustments to accommodate future interface changes...

Hi C4!

Agree with STM. The remote works GREAT!

I only have one "criticism" of the remote on the HD PVR compared to the remote on the SD PVR. The top of the SD's "trick toggle button" is convex, where the top of the HD's button is concave. This sometimes makes "Pause" a bit more difficult on the HD, as you don't always press the button 100% straight down, then the thing start to fwd in stead of pausing. Didn't really have the issue with the SD remote.

Anyone found the same issue?
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (4:3 Pillar Box)
Audio Output: Variable
Sony V Series TV with 4x HDMI Inputs
Old 2010-06-08 , 09:44
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerB View Post
Hi C4!

Agree with STM. The remote works GREAT!

I only have one "criticism" of the remote on the HD PVR compared to the remote on the SD PVR. The top of the SD's "trick toggle button" is convex, where the top of the HD's button is concave. This sometimes makes "Pause" a bit more difficult on the HD, as you don't always press the button 100% straight down, then the thing start to fwd in stead of pausing. Didn't really have the issue with the SD remote.

Anyone found the same issue?
yes we all have but I do not think any of us have attributed it to the shape of the button yet! Interesting observation, I am gonna have a look tonight! Thanks!
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2010-06-08 , 09:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
yes we all have but I do not think any of us have attributed it to the shape of the button yet! Interesting observation, I am gonna have a look tonight! Thanks!

Geoff, I think it is, because you have two sharp edges on the button (left and right). When you press it and you dont press on both edges exactly the same time, the button will move it the direction of the side which is pressed first. Normally fwd for right handed ppl and i suppose rwd for left handed ppl......
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (4:3 Pillar Box)
Audio Output: Variable
Sony V Series TV with 4x HDMI Inputs
Old 2010-06-08 , 11:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerB View Post
Geoff, I think it is, because you have two sharp edges on the button (left and right). When you press it and you dont press on both edges exactly the same time, the button will move it the direction of the side which is pressed first. Normally fwd for right handed ppl and i suppose rwd for left handed ppl......
I've found this to be an issue too when I first got the remotes, but I've gotten used to it now. I prefer the SDPVR button though.
Perhaps it was designed this way to help visually differentiate and to allow you to feel which remote is which in low light (SDPVR and HDPVR remotes)?

Either way, don't take this button away! I have an Ellies universal remote with different buttons for each of the functions (Play/pause/REW/FFD) and I hate using that remote.

Tags
learing, remote control, trick mode