Forum > Customer service > Customer service > Wifi Connector problem - Cannot establish connection (Moved by MC Nic)
Old 2015-08-03 , 18:49
Still listens to the wireless

Angry Wifi Connector problem - Cannot establish connection (Moved by MC Nic)

I bought a wifi connector a few days ago and failed to connect it using both the automatic and manual setup. I returned it back to the shop and got a replacement. It failed again. I went with it to DSTV and they also failed to connect to it from the laptop. They advised me to take it back and to buy straight from them. I bought one yesterday and they tested it for me and they said it was connecting through their laptop. When I got home I tried it and same problem. It detects the wifi routers around and I can select my router and put my password. It then starts processing but it ends up saying "Cannot establish connection to the selected device with SSID "my router name". I am now getting frustrated and I do not know what else to try. If anyone can suggest something for me to try I would appreciate. I am an IT person and am sure I can try whatever that may assist. I have attached the picture showing both the error message as well as the config on my wifi router. All my other devices like laptops and mobile phones are using the same wifi router and the signal is perfect. PLEASE HELP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wifi.jpg (261.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 2015-08-03 , 18:55
MultiChoice

Hi Kowo

I've moved your query to the PVR Decoder section. Where the experts in Wi-Fi connector related issues can help you.
Old 2015-08-03 , 19:35
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowo View Post
I bought a wifi connector a few days ago and failed to connect it using both the automatic and manual setup. I returned it back to the shop and got a replacement. It failed again. I went with it to DSTV and they also failed to connect to it from the laptop. They advised me to take it back and to buy straight from them. I bought one yesterday and they tested it for me and they said it was connecting through their laptop. When I got home I tried it and same problem. It detects the wifi routers around and I can select my router and put my password. It then starts processing but it ends up saying "Cannot establish connection to the selected device with SSID "my router name". I am now getting frustrated and I do not know what else to try. If anyone can suggest something for me to try I would appreciate. I am an IT person and am sure I can try whatever that may assist. I have attached the picture showing both the error message as well as the config on my wifi router. All my other devices like laptops and mobile phones are using the same wifi router and the signal is perfect. PLEASE HELP.
Does your password have & in it?
If so then search my fix on this or you need change your password. There seems that some characters in the password causes this issue.
Old 2015-08-03 , 20:54

Thank you for the response. The password has * and $. I will try to change and let you know the outcome.
Old 2015-08-03 , 22:34

Quote:
Thank you for the response. The password has * and $. I will try to change and let you know the outcome.
Thank you GWalker. The moment I removed the * and the $ from my password and managed to connect the connector to the wifi router and managed to browse from laptop. Now I can connect to the router from my explorer. I am now getting a message which says "Internet connection failed" when test internet connectivity. Tried to restart the decoder but still same message.
Old 2015-08-03 , 22:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
Does your password have & in it?
If so then search my fix on this or you need change your password. There seems that some characters in the password causes this issue.
Thank you GWalker. The moment I removed the * and the $ from my password and managed to connect the connector to the wifi router and managed to browse from laptop. Now I can connect to the router from my explorer. I am now getting a message which says "Internet connection failed" when test internet connectivity. Tried to restart the decoder but still same message
Old 2015-08-04 , 08:24

Quote:
Thank you GWalker. The moment I removed the * and the $ from my password and managed to connect the connector to the wifi router and managed to browse from laptop. Now I can connect to the router from my explorer. I am now getting a message which says "Internet connection failed" when test internet connectivity. Tried to restart the decoder but still same message
After waiting for about an hour I tried the connection again and it was connecting to the internet.
@DSTV - please include on the wifi connector manual a line which tells people not to use special charactors on wifi password.
Old 2015-08-04 , 16:38
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
After waiting for about an hour I tried the connection again and it was connecting to the internet.
@DSTV - please include on the wifi connector manual a line which tells people not to use special charactors on wifi password.
Ok, the special character is only an issue when using TKIP and not AES. This may have been fixed in a firmware upgrade - I had reported it earlier this year.

http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=25198