Old 2010-09-01 , 16:13
mosey

Default Movies back to back

So can someone please tell me how I set the Std PVR to tape 3 movies on the same channel one after the other without it chopping either the end or the beginning off. I think I heard somewhere that there is an extended recording option.
Some days ago I set the pvr to record all 3 romcoms on SABC 3 (133) only to discover today that the one movie stopped recording a few minutes before the end. Was so bummed, did not investigate further with the other 2.
So I need in layman's terms e.g. step1, 2 and 3 ~ 4 if necessary how to overcome this problem. I am not up there with some of you who are technically minded so please, as simple as possible
Many thanks
mosey
Old 2010-09-01 , 16:24
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosey View Post
So can someone please tell me how I set the Std PVR to tape 3 movies on the same channel one after the other without it chopping either the end or the beginning off. I think I heard somewhere that there is an extended recording option.
Some days ago I set the pvr to record all 3 romcoms on SABC 3 (133) only to discover today that the one movie stopped recording a few minutes before the end. Was so bummed, did not investigate further with the other 2.
So I need in layman's terms e.g. step1, 2 and 3 ~ 4 if necessary how to overcome this problem. I am not up there with some of you who are technically minded so please, as simple as possible
Many thanks
mosey
Well to tape, you need to put a tape in the VCR. If you want to use the PVR for digital recording. simply use the remote.

The SDPVR, will stop end the one programme and carry on straight with the next one as per the EPG. If the channel does not keep on time. this will happen. Therefore it is possible the last few mins will be on the 2nd recording etc. So the chances are if you look at part 2 and 3 it will be complete.
Old 2010-09-01 , 16:29
MultiChoice

It's possible I'm not understanding your query.
The ability to extend a recording won't help you, as by extending the recording, you will create conflict with the next recording (thereby cancelling your next recording).

Last edited by MC Brenda; 2010-09-01 at 16:38. . Reason: typo
Old 2010-09-01 , 19:22
mosey

Well that is why I am asking! I want to know more about extended recording!!
Old 2010-09-01 , 19:25
mosey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
Well to tape, you need to put a tape in the VCR. If you want to use the PVR for digital recording. simply use the remote.

The SDPVR, will stop end the one programme and carry on straight with the next one as per the EPG. If the channel does not keep on time. this will happen. Therefore it is possible the last few mins will be on the 2nd recording etc. So the chances are if you look at part 2 and 3 it will be complete.
Of course I meant record and not tape!! Do people even use VCR's these days.
.... and thank you I will do that!
Old 2010-09-01 , 19:34
mosey

OK So I have just noticed that I did not set the pvr to record anything after the above mentioned programme which happened to be Notting Hill which just stopped recording afer 129 mins ~ was there a problem on this night?
Old 2010-09-01 , 22:25
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosey View Post
Many thanks
mosey
(1) Unfortunately, on the night when Nottinghill was broadcast, the broadcast schedule was running late, so thta may explain why a recording that was set would have stopped before the show was complete.
(2) "Extend a recording" only works IF you are in front of the PVR at the time a recording is in progress and it is either the last recording in a sequence or the only scheduled item present. What happens then is the SD PVR will continue to record until you stop it
(3) The only sure fire way to record a sequence of items one after the other without any risk of losing anything is to set up a Time Based Recording (TBR) yourself for the total duration of the 3 shows combined. Alos to protect you against any schedule changes, you need to add buffer times to the beginning and the end of the times as published. then of course you need to remember that the set recording consists of 3 shows one after the other.

[green button], option 4, [ok], follow the on screen instructions

(4) The sequence of events when you set EBR's ( EPG Based Recordings is as follows below.

(a) An EBR is actually a "once off" TBR, which means once you have set it based on the time in the EPG at the time you set it, the times are fixed. NO changes are made to the start times and end times once it is set, so if last minute schedule changes happen, these are not taken into account. The reason is that "event recording" functionality has not been implemented on any of the PVRs
(b) When you set an EBR, the SD PVR automatically adds start and end buffer times to the times as indicated on the EPG (3 min at the start and 10 minutes at the end). The theory is that this will cater for last minute schedule changes.

(c) When you set "back-back" EBRs, the PVR is supposed to "cancel out" the buffers between the two recordings. So the 10 minutes at the end of the first recording is deleted from that setting and the 3 minutes at the start of the second is also removed. Unfortunately, there is a "switching delay" that comes into force, so it is quite possible that about 1 minute or so of content could be missed in this process, between the two recordings. Now the problem that arises is that if a schedule change has occured after the setting was made, the first recording will stop before the show was complete, and the rest of the show will now be part of the second recording ( IF the EBRs are back-backs on the same channel), and so on. = why GWalker suggested that you need to find the rest of the first recording recorded as part of the second and so on.

(d) The exact sequence of events that takes place when you set "back-to-back" EBRs on the same channel is:

(i) First setting: 3 minutes added to the start and 10 minutes to end. channel x.
(ii) Second setting: 10 minutes cancelled at end of first, 3 minutes not added to the start of the second, 10 minutes added to the end of the second on channel x, BUT 1 minute switching time is lost in between.
(iii) Third setting: 10 minutes at the end of the second is cancelled, 3 minutes at the start of the third not added, 10 minutes added to the end of the third, 1 minute switching time is lost in between, channel x.

What then is possible is that you may find the "missing" content at the start of the next recording in the sequence, except for the end of the last, which is just not recorded at all.

(d) The exact sequence of events that that takes place when you set "back-to-back" EBRs on different channels is:

(i) First setting: 3 minutes added to the start and 10 minutes to end. channel x.
(ii) Second setting: 10 minutes cancelled at end of first, 3 minutes not added to the start of the second, 10 minutes added to the end of the second on channel y, BUT 1 minute switching time is lost in between.
(iii) Third setting: 10 minutes at the end of the second is cancelled, 3 minutes at the start of the third not added, 10 minutes added to the end of the third, 1 minute switching time is lost in between, channel or z.

Now if a scheule change has occured after the setting was made the content lost in between is permanently lost.

Hope this helps.
Old 2010-09-02 , 07:41
mosey

OMG GeoffD you are a star!!!!!
You took the time to expalin to me and that is all I wanted! I am going to print this out and keep next to the tv.
I was possibly getting confused with extended play and TBR ~ now I know the difference.
Glad to hear as well that it was not my 'doing' that the recording ended abruptly ~ wish they woul get their times spot on!

It is people like you who are special and make this forum worthwhile!
Thank you again and have a great w/end!
Mosey
Old 2010-09-22 , 17:53
Still listens to the wireless

Default multiple movies

All I do, especially with back to back comedies on BBCE is to set 1 TBR for the entire stretch. I then also add 20 minutes ether side as it seems very few broadcasters actually understand the implications of changing their program times (Although first world PVR's do actaully track the program hence the UK people have none of these issues, with our third world PVR everythng is manual, the only thing we do not need to do is insert a tape!!!)