Forum > Discussions > Discussions > Firefox - MC unsecure link
Old 2017-03-17 , 14:54
4K, baby!

Default Firefox - MC unsecure link

When logging into the Forum I used to simply click on the DStv link in my browser and then go to login. My particulars were already there so I simply clicked on the login icon and I was in.

Over the past couple of days when I complete step one and want to login I have to re-enter my login name because Firefox says I should be entering a site which has http:// before it. Something about the site not being secure if it doesn't have the http link. This the Forum address doesn't seem to have.

I am using Firefox as my internet browser and am curious to know whether anyone else is experiencing this problem and if so what can be done to resolve the issue? It's not a train smash as it is just a bit of an irritant having to enter my user name everytime I want to login.
Old 2017-03-17 , 15:15
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

The problem is actually that MC uses an http site and not https. The former uses unencrypted data and the later uses encrypted (secure) data.

A short explanation below.

The problem is that HTTP (note: no "s" on the end)*data is not encrypted, and it*can be intercepted by third parties to gather data being passed between the two systems.
This can be addressed by using a secure version called HTTPS, where the "S"*stands for secure.
Old 2017-03-17 , 17:46
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Horn View Post
This can be addressed by using a secure version called HTTPS, where the "S"*stands for secure.
Thanks Jan. Does Multichoice have this secure version? I tried adding the "https://" before the words forum.dstv.com but without any success.

If not available will Multichoice be looking at making their link secure?
Old 2017-03-17 , 18:07

The forum is

http://forum.dstv.com/

The self service

https://selfservice.dstv.com/

So it all depend on which website you access

You cannot chance the prefix it is fixed in web address for a specific site depending on what protocol is used
Old 2017-03-18 , 10:16
Technical Myriad

The issue you are having is because of a windows update that happened this last week. Did you not notice it on WN 10 Home?

You will probably have to delete most of your old bookmarks and save them again in Firefox ...
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-03-18 , 11:29
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
The issue you are having is because of a windows update that happened this last week. Did you not notice it on WN 10 Home?

You will probably have to delete most of your old bookmarks and save them again in Firefox ...
Ouch. Thanks Geoff and Jan. Noticed nothing elsewhere other than for this site. Not that I do much browsing.

Jan, it doesn't seem as if I can access the Forum using the second link you gave me. Guess I'll just have to keep on entering my user name every time I access the forum. Not a train smash.

Last edited by beetle bailey; 2017-03-18 at 11:32. .
Old 2017-03-18 , 12:56

The second link is for Self Service, resetting error codes etc.

I prefer MS Edge as my browser. I did notice the same problem on one of the websites I frequent for a few days but the problem cleared after a few days. It may have been as subsequent Windows 10 updates.

I do have Firefox but I seldom use it and I used it yesterday logging in onto the forum and got no security warning. I used Firefox again a few minutes ago and it did a auto login to the forum with no interaction from my side.

There was three software updates for Windows 10 over the last few days.
Old 2017-03-18 , 16:52
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Horn View Post
The second link is for Self Service, resetting error codes etc.

I prefer MS Edge as my browser. I did notice the same problem on one of the websites I frequent for a few days but the problem cleared after a few days. It may have been as subsequent Windows 10 updates.

I do have Firefox but I seldom use it and I used it yesterday logging in onto the forum and got no security warning. I used Firefox again a few minutes ago and it did a auto login to the forum with no interaction from my side.

There was three software updates for Windows 10 over the last few days.
Thanks Jan. I'll stick with Firefox and see what happens. Maybe I don't have all the "fixes" just yet or, if I have, I'll continue as I have been doing. For now anyway.
Old 2017-03-22 , 09:50
Technical Myriad

and just to make you all happy, there is a massive WIN 10 upgrade ( not an update) on the way within a few weeks! A few GBs of download!
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-03-22 at 12:44. .
Old 2017-03-22 , 10:04
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
and juts to make you all happy, there is a massive WIN 10 upgrade ( not an update) on the way within a few weeks! A few GBs of download!
I had a fairly large WIN 10 update earlier today.

I have recently upgraded my ADSL line from the previous "up to 4Mbps" to a "up to 10Mbps" Our local exchange was only very recently upgraded to allow this higher speed.
I had to drive a 270 KM round trip from my home (Swellendam) to Worcester, WC, to get this upgrade, as the tiny dorp I live in has no Telkom office / shop.