Forum > Decoders > Installation > Explora + SD PVR Heartbeat Not Working ?
Old 2017-12-31 , 15:43
Still gets up to change channels

I have tried connecting the Explora and SD PVR together directly for the HB. I have not yet tested the picture quality in the bedrooms but the heartbeat works fine even though it is plugged into RF IN on the SD PVR. I assume this shows that the length of the heartbeat even without amplification is not the problem. That splitter is definitely not allowing the HB to pass through the output legs or degrading it so significantly that it isn't received on the SD PVR.

Would this be ideal ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Direct Heartbeat.JPG (30.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 2017-12-31 , 16:29
Changes remote batteries hourly

Anything odd that seemed to work could just be the fact that XtraView (XV) will continue working for about half an hour after the last HB was received.

I understand your enthusiasm, but there's no need for further experimentation - just make the choice between a T-piece or the better SLX that Geoff suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-P-H View Post
Won't the T-piece significantly degrade my RF OUT pictures.
No, it will be better than with the Ellies splitter, and then the SLX amplifies. Geoff also suggested shortening cable lengths where possible, but don't do more as keeping it simple will win for you in the end. I can't assist further.
Old 2018-01-01 , 08:50
Technical Myriad

If the RF in to rf in works leave it like that. It is better than working through the Ellie's splitter.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2018-01-01 , 09:20

An interesting option if that does now work these days, certainly an easier fix.

Just want to further point out that an Ellies splitter in this case;
1. Is still not a good design considering re its frequency response, so I'd worry about its otherwise performance.
2. Although still usable here to a degree, is not designed for this purpose. The correct device to use would be a RF Combiner (but not necessary in this usage and expensive compared to a T-piece).
3. With the 3 decoders setup later it will end up useless anyway (you really don't want to make things possibly less stable by cascading 2 Ellies splitters )

@Geoff, I can't recall if there's an SLX that allows for 3 inputs and 4 outputs?
Old 2018-01-01 , 09:46

Here's a solution for the future setup that's not as good as one SLX with 3 inputs and 3 or 4 outputs, but would do - it uses 2 SLX's (see the diagram in blue at the bottom of this webpage): https://www.hdcabling.co.za/slx-3x-3...ers-p-868.html

I'll leave any more to you guys.
Old 2018-01-01 , 11:20
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
An interesting option if that does now work these days, certainly an easier fix.

1. Is still not a good design considering re its frequency response, so I'd worry about its otherwise performance.
2. Although still usable here to a degree, is not designed for this purpose. The correct device to use would be a RF Combiner (but not necessary in this usage and expensive compared to a T-piece).
3. With the 3 decoders setup later it will end up useless anyway (you really don't want to make things possibly less stable by cascading 2 Ellies splitters )

@Geoff, I can't recall if there's an SLX that allows for 3 inputs and 4 outputs?
Not as far as I know. The three in two out is the only one around. Combined with normal SLX splitters you get more combinations of TVs as per the diagram from HD cabling.
The important thing is to ALWAYS use DC blocks IF there are no tvLINKS installed on any leg.

Modern TVs with RF inputs appear to have NO protection against DC power that may be present on a RF feed.

I now recommend that a DC block is automatically installed on ALL RF IN ports.
Old 2018-01-03 , 19:39

Sorry for the late reply, for some reason my notification email was sitting in my junk folder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
If the RF in to rf in works leave it like that. It is better than working through the Ellie's splitter.
Alright thanks, then I will stick with this setup and it should also work fine when I upgrade to an Explora 2. Only potential problem that I could see is if the RF OUT signal from the Explora jumps across to the RF IN of the SD PVR and then reflects back up the RF OUT of the SD PVR into the splitter. (I'm basing that on the feedback loop that I experienced in my previous setup).

Quote:

Obviously I don't have the technical knowledge to understand why the splitter is a bad choice (or a worse choice than a T-piece) but I read in the Xtraview manual that a T-piece could cause problems in picture quality. So in terms on the quality of the RF output signals, a T-piece would really be a better choice ? I assumed that a passive splitter in reverse is just a combiner.

"A simple T-piece can be used, but as it does not have any directionality, just as much of the signal will be going in the wrong direction (perhaps causing reflections) as will be going in the right direction. Note: T-piece use could cause an imbalance of the impedance (75 ohm) the possible result is wavy lines."

Quote:
I plan on replacing the SD PVR with an Explora 2, so I'll still just have the 2 decoders (Explora + Explora 2).
Old 2018-01-03 , 19:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I now recommend that a DC block is automatically installed on ALL RF IN ports.
I have TV eyes in all the bedrooms but NO DC blocks on any of the RF ports on the decoders. I assumed that if the ports are designed to output 9V then they should be able to handle having power on them. Are DC blocks necessary on the decoder ports themselves ?
Old 2018-01-04 , 07:49

It's good to question, though I can assure you you're really going too deeply into all of this as in your case this is a common and basic install need which we've had a lot of experience with.

So, last from me and then you can decide for yourself;

Combining the 2 RF In ports won't cause any problems as long as there's no other external connection made by you that's directly involved with that one connection.
To confirm again - a T-piece is fine. The exceptions being discussed there is when long cable runs are involved and with some possible mismatching (3rd party) equipment. Especially fine when amplification is involved, as with your SLX. However T-pieces do tend to become loose over time. As Geoff mentioned, the better 2x4 SLX is your best option (includes combining properly, if the further cost is worth it to you).
You cannot rely on the circuitry in either a combiner or a splitter is going to work properly in reverse. This doesn't mean it won't, but anyway your Ellies is not a good performance unit.
Better safe than sorry re the DC Blocks, don't presume voltage being present makes it a safe situation. Agree completely with Geoff, you'll see I edited an older post here in this regard shortly before he mentioned that.

All the best with it :-)
Old 2018-01-04 , 08:09
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-P-H View Post
I have TV eyes in all the bedrooms but NO DC blocks on any of the RF ports on the decoders. I assumed that if the ports are designed to output 9V then they should be able to handle having power on them. Are DC blocks necessary on the decoder ports themselves ?
tvLINKS are DC block devices. tvLINKS draw their power from the decoders. SLX splitters also draw poet from the decoders, and they in turn provide power to tvLINKS.

You only require DC blocks on RF feeds to TVs IF there are no tvLINKS required on a line.

It is not recommended to feed DC power into a decoder RF OUT port.

On the SD PVR, one has to enable tvLINK power for XV to work. On the other decoders tvLINK power does not have to be ON if there are no tvLINKS or SLX splitters used.

Only one decoder normally provides power.