Forum > Decoders > Installation > Explora + SD PVR Heartbeat Not Working ?
Old 2017-12-26 , 04:56
Still gets up to change channels

Question Explora + SD PVR Heartbeat Not Working ?

Hi,

I am trying to setup XtraView between my Explora 1 and SD PVR. Here is a basic diagram of my setup:

Problem is that the SD PVR is not receiving the heartbeat signal. The only thing that I can think is causing this issue is that the heartbeat signal is too weak to pass between the output legs of the splitter.

The length of cable between the Explora and splitter is about 10 to 15 m long and the length of cable between the SD PVR and the splitter is 5 to 10 m long. Is the cable length degrading the heartbeat so much that it can't make it across the partially isolated output legs of the splitter ?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XtraView Setup.JPG (19.5 KB, 44 views)
Old 2017-12-26 , 09:26
Technical Myriad

Are you new to this game? Or did you replace another decoder with the Explora?
You need to recalibrate the SD PVR by disabling tvlink , reboot the SD PVR and then re enable tvlink on the SD PVR.
May work after that.

Where are the two decoders?
In the same room?
If so then place the splitter right behind the decoders with short cables, or, eliminate all together and use a t piece instead.

Make sure the Explora is set correctly to use the RF out port.
Makes sure SD PVR is set with tvlink enabled
Move the slx splitter closer to the decoders.
Alternatively, run asep cable between the RF in ports on the decoders for the HB and leave everything in place as you have it for RF distribution.

What did you have before?
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-12-27 , 19:46

Hi Geoff, unfortunately I cannot reply to you because I keep getting the message "your message needs to be approved by a moderator before being made visible".

Obviously there are no actual moderators here on the forum so although I posted a response over a day ago it is not going to ever get "accepted".

I'm not really sure what to do. I could try PM you my response ?
Old 2017-12-27 , 20:29
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-P-H View Post
Hi Geoff, unfortunately I cannot reply to you because I keep getting the message "your message needs to be approved by a moderator before being made visible".

Obviously there are no actual moderators here on the forum so although I posted a response over a day ago it is not going to ever get "accepted".

I'm not really sure what to do. I could try PM you my response ?
No problem send me a PM .
Old 2017-12-31 , 01:19

Hi Geoff,

In the setup below:

I get very large amounts of noise/reflection in the bedroom pictures. After removing the heartbeat cable, it's fine. Is this caused by the amplified heartbeat reflecting back onto the RF Out signals ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (31.1 KB, 29 views)
Old 2017-12-31 , 09:22
Changes remote batteries hourly

You're causing a RF feedback loop on the Explora, hence the problems.
Get rid of the SLX to Explora RF In connection, and set the Explora to use RF Out - HB is carried on the RF Out port as well.

Suggest you do as Geoff originally suggested and get rid of the splitter, use a T-piece connector instead.

Make sure that the RF UHF channels in use on the two decoders are at least 2 to 3 UHF channels apart. Lower channel numbers work better.
Old 2017-12-31 , 09:31
Technical Myriad

Those Ellies splitters are really very poor at the low end of the band pass, which adversely affects the HB signal.

The quality problems are because of the RF feedback loop you setup with the connection you have.

Are there any joints in the cables anywhere? If so, how were they done? With connectors and barrels ? Eliminate them if there are joints.

The only long term solution is to sort out a good path for the HB signal.

(1) Replace the splitter and the existing SLX with a 2 IN 4 OUT SLX slitter is the best option.
(2) Second option is to use a T-piece to combine the RF OUT signals iso. the Ellies splitter.
(3) Review the location of the SLX splitter. Try and find a place where the cable are shorter between the decoders and the SLX splitter.
Old 2017-12-31 , 10:27
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Get rid of the SLX to Explora RF In connection...
Just to add - this is NOT a choice, you must get rid of it.

If you need to use the RF feed from the SD PVR in the room that has the Explora as well, then the SLX output for that MUST connect directly to that room's TV Link Eye and then the TV's RF input (the SLX-amplified signal direct to the TV itself could cause damage).
(I presume the Explora uses a HDMI cable to that TV.)

Not sure who will be around for the next few days, but you will be fine now if you take our advice.

But while you're at it, note that the SD PVR is not going to get better with its reboot problems so you may want to consider two extra Exploras to replace it if budget currently permits.

Last edited by Optimist; 2018-01-01 at 10:44. . Reason: Hadn't included the TV Link Eye
Old 2017-12-31 , 15:41

Quote:
You're causing a RF feedback loop on the Explora, hence the problems.
Get rid of the SLX to Explora RF In connection, and set the Explora to use RF Out - HB is carried on the RF Out port as well.
In that case I'll have to use a T-piece since the HB is not able to pass between the output legs of the splitter as in the diagram of my original post.

In the setup below I get overall very good picture quality in the bedrooms. As far as I can see there is also a feedback loop here though as shown in red. Is the fact that the HB is having to pass through 2 more splitters degrading the signal enough to not cause the echo effect in this setup ?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Feedback Loop.JPG (31.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 2017-12-31 , 15:42

Quote:
Suggest you do as Geoff originally suggested and get rid of the splitter, use a T-piece connector instead.
Won't the T-piece significantly degrade my RF OUT pictures.

Quote:
Make sure that the RF UHF channels in use on the two decoders are at least 2 to 3 UHF channels apart. Lower channel numbers work better.
Yes, I'm using 21, 25 and 29. I remember leaving 4 in between for some reason, I'll have to go back and check.

Quote:
But while you're at it, note that the SD PVR is not going to get better with its reboot problems so you may want to consider two extra Exploras to replace it if budget currently permits.
Yes, the random reboots are really becoming a problem. I am planning on upgrading through DSTV's SD PVR trade in options soon.