Forum > Decoders > Installation > Eplora 1 + Explora 2 + HD Decoder Extra view Installation
Old 2017-12-12 , 13:54
Still listens to the wireless

Default Eplora 1 + Explora 2 + HD Decoder Extra view Installation

Hi there.
My current installation is Explora + HD Decoder(extra View), 800mm Dish, Twin LNB with DSTV Switch in roof.

Is it possible for me add the Explora 2 to the current setup?

If not what would I need to change to get it connected.

Thank you
Isak
Old 2017-12-12 , 14:08
Changes remote batteries hourly

Hi Isak and welcome :-)

You'll need to exchange your Twin LNB with DSTV Switch for a smart LNB (SLNB), which is also expected to future-proof you for years to come.

Depending on your switch version it may be possible to keep the existing arrangement instead, but not recommended for long and it would mean making sure your HD Decoder uses a Universal LNB connection.
This combination of yours is not a good idea with the oldest and unmarked "5-1" switch.
(EDIT: The above paragraph is mostly incorrect under these circumstances, see later posts.)

Either way, you will also need to alter user bands on the one Explora - when ready ask for details if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isak View Post
Hi there.
My current installation is Explora + HD Decoder(extra View), 800mm Dish, Twin LNB with DSTV Switch in roof.

Is it possible for me add the Explora 2 to the current setup?

If not what would I need to change to get it connected.

Thank you
Isak

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-12-12 at 14:28. . Reason: See EDIT
Old 2017-12-12 , 14:22

Hi Optomist
What will the connection setup be should I keep current switch and LNB setup. Also what will the user band settings be.
I will purchase the recommended equipment if February but will like to use all devices over the holiday.
Old 2017-12-12 , 14:23

Firstly;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Depending on your switch version it may be possible to keep the existing arrangement instead, but not recommended for long and it would mean making sure your HD Decoder uses a Universal LNB connection.
This combination of yours is not a good idea with the oldest and unmarked "5-1" switch.
Correction - I see you'll have both types of Exploras, so the above quote is then not a possible set of options except with the latest "24-1Z" smart switch only.
Old 2017-12-12 , 14:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Firstly;

Correction - I see you'll have both types of Exploras, so the above quote is then not a possible set of options except with the latest "24-1Z" smart switch only.
what will setup and settings then be if I get the new smart switch
Old 2017-12-12 , 14:25

This should help all your further questions with whatever you do: Smart LNB (SLNB) installations and settings
Old 2017-12-12 , 15:37
Technical Myriad

1. If want to use one of them for holiday viewing away from home, then yes that is possible, but then you need to know what LNB will be available to you at the holiday destination. The HD decoder is the only one that will work with a Universal LNB.
3. A TWIN LNB plus a 5-2 switch will support 2 Explora decoders under one subscription and the HD decoder could be connected to one of the legacy ports. The settings are as per the reference Optimist gave you.
4. An alternative would be to get a 24-1Z MC switch, which as 4 Unicable ports plus 4 legacy ports. This solution will support technically, all the decoders even when connected to TWIN LNB. In the longer term however a Quad or Quattro LNB will be required.
5. The new SLNB model LMX 501 can only support 3 decoders that have unicable ports. Plus it can support on other decoder requiring 1 universal port. Bear in mind though that the maximum number of decoders you can support under one subscription is 3.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-12-12 at 15:44. . Reason: Got the decoder type wrong
Old 2017-12-12 , 15:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
3. A TWIN LNB plus a 5-2 switch will support 2 Explora decoders under one subscription and the HD decoder could be connected to one of the legacy ports. The settings are as per the reference Optimist gave you.
Besides your corrective edit Geoff, further this part is the same mistake as I made earlier - only possible if the 2 Exploras were the same model as there's only 5 user bands on the older switches and tuner 3 can't otherwise share.
Old 2017-12-12 , 15:53
Technical Myriad

Explora 2A cant share a tuner?

OKay did not know that.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-12-12 , 15:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Explora 2A cant share a tuner?

OKay did not know that.
It's due to the different compression system they use for CU and BO on the 2A, so a different stream to model 1.