Forum > Decoders > Installation > SLNB Unicable decoders
Old 2017-11-28 , 18:01
Technical Myriad

There are only 2 installation methods recommended at the moment.

1. The recommended way for a 3-decoder mix under XV:

SLNB LMX501 all three decoders using the Unicable ports. The Universal port can be used for another single view decoder on a stand-alone package.

2. A Quad or Quattro LNB together with a MC 24-1Z MS. More costly BUT VERY flexible.

Can handle 4 unicable port decoders and 4 single view Universal decoders, or 2 HD PVR 2P decoders, or one 4-tuner decoder.

In your case, 1 Explora combined with 1 HD PVR2P (whether permanently under XV or not),

A SLNB LMX 501 will work. Use two Unicable ports for the decoders. The Universal port is then available for another stand alone single view decoder.

A third installation option now becoming available is to use an optic fibre LNB together with a termination unit. This is really leading ( bleeding) edge stuff, quite expensive, and generally requires a very good installer with the correct knowledge and training to install.
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-11-28 at 18:10. .
Old 2017-11-28 , 18:06
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurG View Post
Thanks again Geoff. Does the 1132 need two Universal? Yeah have realised the initial SLNB would have been best but I was sold what was supposedly the latest and greatest.
The 1132, 1131, 1110 all require only 1 Universal port, which the LMX 501 has.

You can't get the LMX 500 anymore unless there is old stock on the shelves but it is also rather unreliable.

It depends on what you want to do, where you want to install the decoders (in the same room or in separate rooms), and whether you want to distribute content via RF to more viewing points, and lastly,
if you want to be able to control all decoders from anywhere.

Maybe you could gives us a scenario and we can then suggest some installation options?
Old 2017-11-28 , 18:26
Knows how to use a remote

Geoff, I have the LMX501. And from the first sentence of your last post seems that there has been a misunderstanding at the installer. Although I explained what I wanted to know carefully and simply in an email, it was replied to by an "office person" who called an installer by phone. And that translated to a flat statement that SD decoders need two cables. Tomorrow I'll call the owner of the company and get the real story.

But to clarify again: Only one decoder will ever be connected at a time to the SLNB. So no other decoders or need for Xtraview.

At present we connect our PVR 2P to a Unicable port. And maybe some time later an Explora instead.

When we let the apartment tenants can connect an HD in the same way. What I was wanting to do was allow a tenant's SD decoder to be connected INSTEAD. So still only one decoder connected. Such as the 1132 that my agent can provide if a card is moved. And it seems that adding a second cable connected to the Universal port will work.

Last edited by ArthurG; 2017-11-28 at 18:55. .
Old 2017-11-28 , 18:35

So at any time, very simple. One dish, one SLNB, two cables (one of which still to be installed), one decoder, one TV. Only "complexity" is that the decoder could be either HD or SD.

Last edited by ArthurG; 2017-11-28 at 18:56. .
Old 2017-11-28 , 22:04
Technical Myriad

Yes very simple then. Install two cables to the point where the decoders will be located. One connected to a unicable point and one connected to the universal point.
Just label them accordingly.
Then a guest can bring with him any decoder.

The decoders that can handle a unicable connection will use that single cable, and those that are single view SD quality decoders will use the Universal cable.

The confusion presumably comes from the term "SD decoder".
Many would understand that to mean a SD PVR which does /did require two cables. But the SD PVR should no longer be a problem because it is no longer supported by MC.
Old 2017-11-29 , 08:07
Changes remote batteries hourly

In fact, other than the now "largely useless" SD PVR, these days the only other still-allowed decoder that would have to use 2 Universal cables would be the older still DualView which is likely also playing up and I doubt more than a handful of people still have it.
And in its case you could still get away with one Universal cable allowing its main output to work fine.

So yes, with one of each type of ports you're then covered for almost all DStv decoders, certainly the normally-working ones.

Last consideration in case overlooked - let your tenants know that if they have XtraView (XV) then they can only bring along the Primary decoder.
These days some people prefer to have a spare decoder for using when away, and control that through MC's "Holiday Home" structure.
Old 2017-11-29 , 09:47

Thanks again Geoff. Yes, the SD PVR is a likely cause of the confusion. But I can now move forward. If my letting agent thinks there is still a need to allow for tenants using the still supported 1110,1131 and 1132,then I'll have the second cable installed.

And thanks for saying it needs to be the primary decoder if that holiday option is being used. I am aware of that because I have been thinking whether I can offer a connected DStv for tenants. But I never thought of it in the context of a tenant bringing their decoder.

It would help if MC could publish a simple doc that gives the menu Network Set-up settings for at least each supported decoder, for at least the SLNB. There may be such published info but I haven't found it if there is.

Last edited by ArthurG; 2017-11-29 at 10:27. .
Old 2017-11-29 , 10:12

I also see that that old dual view is listed as unsupported and nor repairable. (Along with the old single views, SD PVR and 4-tuner HD PVR.)
Old 2017-11-29 , 12:10
Technical Myriad

Will post the settings for you for each of the decoders.

Yes all the old decoders just about are now on the unsupported lists, BUT they all still work, except for the SD PVR which is now almost impossible to keep working reliably.
Old 2017-11-29 , 12:53

Been thinking again about the MC's holiday home option. If the Xtraview secondary decoder is brought, would that not work, provided it is connected to the apartment LNB correctly? Or what am I not understanding?