Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > Dolby Digital via HDMI
Old 2016-04-02 , 18:50
Still gets up to change channels

Default Dolby Digital via HDMI

Has anybody tested the Dolby Digital soundtrack from the 4U & 2U PVR via HDMI? Scenario: Both decoders connected via HDMI to a Dolby capable Samsung or LG TV. The Audio is then passed thru from TV to Sony Dolby Amp via optical cable.
I am able to test scenario with media player which routes audio appropriately and Dolby works but not with PVRs. Any ideas or comments?
Old 2016-04-02 , 21:19
Changes remote batteries daily

The optical must go to the amp. Hdmi to the TV from the decoder or if the amp has hdmi in and out, then to the amp, then to the TV. No dolby via TV
Old 2016-04-02 , 23:53

Tv supports dolby and dolby pass thru.optical from tv connected to amp.ps3 connected to hdmi3 of tv.tv routes dolby from ps3 to amp and it works fine.just the 4U and 2U dont output dolby via hdmi.pvr surround settings set to auto.
Old 2016-04-04 , 07:14

What is the tv make and model?
Old 2016-04-04 , 09:21

Hi NoFear,

The Infield Support team are investigating this decoder issue with a setup. Please forward me your contact details and they will contact you.
My email is mpho.mogopodi@multichoice.co.za

Regards,
MCMpho
Old 2016-04-04 , 09:40

My Samsung would not do Dolby HDMI pass-through (using optical from TV back to amp). Confirmed that with Samsung techs.
Ended up tossing the Sony amp and buying a Denon with all the HDMI switching.
Denon AVR-X1400H (5.1 / 2 zones)
Old 2016-04-04 , 11:18
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
The optical must go to the amp. HDMI to the TV from the decoder or if the amp has HDMI in and out, then to the amp, then to the TV. No Dolby via TV
I've experimented a lot with this challenge and with different decoders over time; both here and in the UK.

I route the Audio (from my Explora) both from an optical cable to my Pioneer amp, also from an LG TV's optical out to the Pioneer Amp. Said TV receiving an HDMI feed from the Explora. Both audio signal paths give me full 5.1 Dolby with no issues.
(For the record My Humax Foxsat Freesat PVR in the UK also gives me 5.1 with optical out on an LG TV)

Most recent TVs however ONLY pass on Dolby 2.0 via the optical out.

Regret cannot pass comment on the decoders you are using, Nofear.

Cheers, K.
Old 2016-04-04 , 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
What is the tv make and model?
Samsung UA 40ES5600
Old 2016-04-04 , 19:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvdh View Post
My Samsung would not do Dolby HDMI pass-through (using optical from TV back to amp). Confirmed that with Samsung techs.
Ended up tossing the Sony amp and buying a Denon with all the HDMI switching.
Earlier samsungs did not pass thru.I have smart tv version and i verified the passthru using a ps3 whilst playing a dvd with dolby 5.1.also note that some tvs require u to go into menu whilst dolby soundtrack is being played out and the spdif output of tv then makes the option in menu available.
Old 2016-04-04 , 19:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
I've experimented a lot with this challenge and with different decoders over time; both here and in the UK.

I route the Audio (from my Explora) both from an optical cable to my Pioneer amp, also from an LG TV's optical out to the Pioneer Amp. Said TV receiving an HDMI feed from the Explora. Both audio signal paths give me full 5.1 Dolby with no issues.
(For the record My Humax Foxsat Freesat PVR in the UK also gives me 5.1 with optical out on an LG TV)

Most recent TVs however ONLY pass on Dolby 2.0 via the optical out.

Regret cannot pass comment on the decoders you are using, Nofear.

Cheers, K.
The reason going this route avoids the need to constantly change inputs on amp and also makes anything on screen available on amp. Comes in handy when u have multiple sources like 2 pvrs...ovhd...ps3...boxee...logitech googletv...its difficult enough to find tvs and amps with enough hdmi inputs or optical inputs. I even use boxee and another mediaplayer via an hdmi switch to the tv and the dolby digital is still routed from tv to amp.