Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > Dolby Digital via HDMI
Old 2016-04-04 , 22:07
Changes remote batteries hourly

Presume you've tried the different HDMI inputs on the TV? Their individual capabilities have been known to vary on some brands.

One other thing maybe worth trying - look for a firmware update for the TV, has helped with other HDMI related issues before.

Otherwise... MC will have taken note of this issue with your particular model, that may lead to a future improvement but there's nothing you'll otherwise be able to do about it.
Old 2016-04-07 , 18:08
Still gets up to change channels

Checked other inputs...seems its a decoder issue..tv firmware updated...ps3 confirms functionality
Old 2018-01-04 , 15:14
Still gets up to change channels

Upgraded to Explora 1 and as expected no dolby via hdmi to tv. Why is it that only multichoice products do not route Dolby Digital via HDMI to compliant HDMI and Dolby Televisions? This clearly points to an issue of non-compliance as this setup scenario has now been tested across 3 hd pvrs and 3 different tvs and the only products that fail are multichoice products. Advertising HDMI and Dolby compliance and not being able to use makes me wonder how these products were tested and certified.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 2018-01-08 , 11:12
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear View Post
Upgraded to Explora 1 and as expected no dolby via hdmi to tv. Why is it that only multichoice products do not route Dolby Digital via HDMI to compliant HDMI and Dolby Televisions? This clearly points to an issue of non-compliance as this setup scenario has now been tested across 3 hd pvrs and 3 different tvs and the only products that fail are multichoice products. Advertising HDMI and Dolby compliance and not being able to use makes me wonder how these products were tested and certified.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Don't take this as being accurate as, coming from me, it may be something to do with my ignorance of the system but when watching some shows which are advertised as being 5.1 surround/Dolby Digital I don't seem to be hearing anything coming from my rear speakers. Live football seems to be one of them. Fairly certain the EPL games were broadcast in surround sound before but this doesn't seem to be the case now. Is this just me imagining things or has there been a change with the output files from Supersport and others. Will admit this isn't on every channel and is therefore hard to properly describe.

So, what I'm wondering is if there's not some link between my suspected problem and "no fear's" problem? Or am I due to go pay my psychiatrist a visit? Suspect it could be the latter.
Old 2018-01-08 , 11:31
MultiChoice

I've alerted the technical teams to your posts here, so we can give you a proper response. Pls bear with us - might take a day or two.
Old 2018-01-08 , 18:08
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
I've alerted the technical teams to your posts here, so we can give you a proper response. Pls bear with us - might take a day or two.
Thanks MoM.
Old 2018-01-09 , 09:01
MultiChoice

Folks so for Dolby Digital to output through HDMI via Explora, you need to set your audio output setting to fixed instead of variable.

-Go to “Settings > User Preferences > Video & Audio”
-Set “Audio Output” to “Fixed
Old 2018-01-09 , 10:16
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
Folks so for Dolby Digital to output through HDMI via Explora, you need to set your audio output setting to fixed instead of variable.

-Go to “Settings > User Preferences > Video & Audio”
-Set “Audio Output” to “Fixed
I do have mine set at fixed. Perhaps what I've been watching just doesn't have Dolby Digital. But definitely SEEMS to be lacking surround sound on channel 203 during some of the recent football matches. Will need to watch and listen next game.
Old 2018-01-09 , 10:25
MultiChoice

Perhaps give us a specific show at a specific time, then we can confirm if it is in Dolby Digital.
Old 2018-01-09 , 10:27
Changes remote batteries daily

Also maybe try different soundtracks - you might get varying results. At one stage the SS surround sound was not on the main soundtrack - you had to change tracks - but as far as I know that was changed.

From my experience though surround sound is mostly not great on the sport channels
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.