Forum > Decoders > Installation > Long LNB Run - Amplification & Xtraview Query
Old 2017-12-12 , 19:37
Still listens to the wireless

Smile Long LNB Run - Amplification & Xtraview Query

Good Day All

I have a quick query that hopefully someone technical can answer.
I have run 3 new LNB cables to different rooms in the house, with the aim of connecting them all to the new SMART Lnb and using that interface for the heartbeat with 3 explora 2 decoders.

Now all is good and working fine, expect for the very very last room (Which is the longest run). The signal strength and quality are very very low. The explora struggles to lock into channels, and starts dropping the ball very often.

When i enquired with someone, then mentioned that i should get a in line LNB amplifier which will help with long distant runs. So i got one, and the signal strength and quality have all increased, and a much much more stable connection. However, the xtraview between the decoder and the primary decoder stops working. I keep getting an "Waiting for communication from Primary decoder". Take the amp off, and it works 100% (Bar the crappy quality and strength readings).

Now my question is, what frequency does the xtraview work on, cause i suspect the amp is blocking that certain frequency.

Has anyone encountered this problem, and have you ever introduced a LNB amp with success into your installations.

Your help would be greatly appreciated it.
Old 2017-12-13 , 08:35
Changes remote batteries hourly

Hi, welcome to posting.

You're most unlikely to find out what the HB (heartbeat) frequency is as it is all part of MC's secret security interests. Either way it wouldn't help as there's no easy way to alter what your amp could do.

I'm going to suggest what I think may be your best solution, based on expense and what's already spent, but there are other possibilities some other Forumites (incl. MC field Services) may discuss here later as well.

Run a separate RG6 cable for the HB, from the Primary 2A's RF Out port to the troublesome 2A's RF Out port.
Makes sure both decoders are set to use that port in the menus.
If you have any RF distribution involved in the install then mention the details for a possible revision of this.
MC state that the HB should carry up to 50m, so you should be fine with this within one house... although it sounds like a mansion distances-wise ;-)
Old 2017-12-13 , 09:28

I'll discuss a few other possibilities for some consideration, and interest sake for you and other readers;

Suggested cabling between the 2 decoders is sometimes a problem due to lack of conduit space, but given the possible usable distance involved for this need it should be something one can get around by routing the cable outside the house. Then RG6U cable should be used as it offers further ultraviolet protection.
If unsightly it can be painted, and is available in white or black.

Another suggestion made before in these circumstances is to relocate the troublesome 2A to the same room as the Primary.
It would make the amp purchased obsolete.
Besides then feeding the HDMI back to the room it's needed in, there's also the complication of needing distant remote control access so either a RF cable is needed anyway for that with a TV Link Eye or a Remote Blaster is then needed.

A 3rd possibility, but likely too expensive and too much effort - set up a second dish closer to the trouble room, with its own SLNB, and use RF cabling for HB linking. The advantages here is an end to any need for amplification and less extra cabling needed. Usually a consideration when separate distant out rooms such as cottages are involved

All considerations are subject to individual install needs, especially any signal distribution.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-12-13 at 09:42. . Reason: Detail re last option
Old 2017-12-13 , 14:11
Still listens to the wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Hi, welcome to posting.

You're most unlikely to find out what the HB (heartbeat) frequency is as it is all part of MC's secret security interests. Either way it wouldn't help as there's no easy way to alter what your amp could do.

I'm going to suggest what I think may be your best solution, based on expense and what's already spent, but there are other possibilities some other Forumites (incl. MC field Services) may discuss here later as well.

Run a separate RG6 cable for the HB, from the Primary 2A's RF Out port to the troublesome 2A's RF Out port.
Makes sure both decoders are set to use that port in the menus.
If you have any RF distribution involved in the install then mention the details for a possible revision of this.
MC state that the HB should carry up to 50m, so you should be fine with this within one house... although it sounds like a mansion distances-wise ;-)

Thanks so much for this. The amp i currently have is from 900Mhz upwards, and i see there are others that run from 5mhz upwards (However i would need to import them). In order for me to avoid having to spend all that money and still not being in range, i thus posed this question to the forum about the frequencies.

Unfortunately there is no space in the conduit for extra cables, and there is no way to run another separate HB cable back to the primary 2A.
Old 2017-12-13 , 14:38

Glad to try help :-)

I would be most surprised if the 5MHz upwards amp option didn't work, but there's no ways for users to first check that, especially with lesser known unicable and so it can't be guaranteed by any of us.
When other equipment like splitters are used that cover a wide range from 5MHz upwards it does work, but that's for the conventional HB on RF ports.

We would be interested in your further feedback as well, including the amp make and models if it does the trick.

Give this a day or two, others here may have some worthwhile knowledge to add.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-12-13 at 14:59. . Reason: Detail
Old 2017-12-13 , 15:03

The above was edited quite a bit to cover the different factors involved. I won't be able to offer anything more myself.
Old 2017-12-13 , 16:56
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

The heartbeat runs on 7MHz.
How long is your cable run as I dont see a need for an inline amp.
your alignment of the dish may not be aligned correctly.
are the cables you ran brand new cables.
because each decoder can run a length of 50m when explora2a is primary
Old 2017-12-13 , 17:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Field Services View Post
The heartbeat runs on 7MHz.
So glad this could finally be shared, thanks

This will be for RF HB.
I presume it always remains the same frequency on Unicable HB throughout, and now with Uniview HB as well.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-12-13 at 18:26. .
Old 2017-12-13 , 18:03
Technical Myriad

Now IF we had updated the original installation manual that we had going with the SD PVR, this frequency would be available to all.

Next, the problem with in line Amps, regardless of the bandwidth involved, is that the HB signal may still not pass successfully through the amp. The remote control signals were always blocked by any active component unless specifically designed to pass the signals such as the SLX splitters are.

I agree with MC Field Services, there may be something else that needs checking before you deploy an in-line amp. BUT, how is it possible in a normal home, to have to have such a long cable run exceeding 50m? And that figure quoted by MC is in any case conservative.

You may have to resort to moving the antenna to amore centrally located position.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-12-14 at 14:32. .
Old 2017-12-14 , 11:35
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

50m is the worst case recommended length ,but most homes will never run 50m in length .