Forum > Value Added Services > DStv Catch Up > Terminator 2 judgement day
Old 2017-12-02 , 14:50
Changes remote batteries daily

Default Terminator 2 judgement day

I downloaded it last night and it movie is zoomed. Checked my settings its fine please fix

Explora
Old 2017-12-02 , 15:07
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

I commented on this in the BucketList thread with some screenshots, disappointing to hear that the CU+ version is also cropped.

A movie like the Godfather 2, originally released in 1.85:1 aspect ratio, doesn't suffer too much when cropped to 16:9 (1.78:1) but Terminator 2 was in the region of 2.40:1! The scenes really suffer from this much cropping, I had to stop watching. And after all, those who are prepared to sacrifice part of the movie to avoid black bars can always zoom on their tv, but if the channel crops it like this then those of us who want to see the full picture have no way of getting it back.

One of my friends has the Blu-ray (slightly cropped to 2.35:1, it seems) so I'm borrowing it tomorrow and going to post a thread with comparisons of certain scenes because I really think this is a big issue given that we are no longer in the days of small 4:3 screens where cropping or pan and scan was something one realistically had to put up with to actually see anything in a reasonable size. It's 2017, surely DSTV/M-Net can do better than this.

I've provided feedback on this through a number of channels since trying to watch T2 the other night, but only got a few token responses, so will put the effort into illustrating how this cropping damaged the movie so I have something to link to.
Old 2017-12-03 , 08:41
Changes remote batteries hourly

Although I agree in principle, more needs to be added to what I passed on in the Bucketlist Movies thread about TV's and their usage in this regard;

The decoders' Crop aspect ratio (AR) option which allows the cinemascope type broadcast to fully fit the viewer's screen (with loss of some edges of the content) is only helpful to some of them.

1. Those who still have CRT 4:3 TV's will only have the picture height increased by so doing, there will still be gaps (AKA so called black bars) above and below the picture. There are still plenty of people with these older style TV's which can still even be purchased new.
However, for them there is no standard screen-filling solution with an undistorted aspect ratio either way this is approached as too much of the edges can then be lost, and this general handicap of theirs goes beyond just these discussed circumstances and further applies to some degree to most content broadcast these days. Therefore these users are not a concern in this regard.

2. I do not know, but suspect from wide discussion through the years that not all widescreen (WS) panel TV's have a 16:9 AR adjustment option. If not used in conjunction with the Crop setting it makes such setting useless, which is then a concern for some who prefer that cinemascope type content is broadcast cropped.
Either way it's an old debate on the forum, there are many who prefer filling the screen. It is therefore possible that the channels concerned are taking any received complaints of theirs into consideration, especially if our discussed adjustments were not or are still not easily or widely understood.

Further complications in understanding this;
  • In the past it became apparent that some TV manufacturers incorrectly call the WS setting "16:9". In simple terms, although the same AR, in the case of WS the pixels are compressed.
  • Some users make the mistake of using an automated AR setting on their TV's, which appears to only confuse the issues and is discouraged by all tech regulars here and by MC as well.
  • We should also remember that we don't know the channels' intentions or the usage agreement circumstances.
I won't go into any more as I feel it's covered enough in the archives, but wish all concerned the best with finding further solutions if possible.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDavid View Post
One of my friends has the Blu-ray (slightly cropped to 2.35:1, it seems) so I'm borrowing it tomorrow and going to post a thread with comparisons of certain scenes because I really think this is a big issue given that we are no longer in the days of small 4:3 screens where cropping or pan and scan was something one realistically had to put up with to actually see anything in a reasonable size. It's 2017, surely DSTV/M-Net can do better than this.

I've provided feedback on this through a number of channels since trying to watch T2 the other night, but only got a few token responses, so will put the effort into illustrating how this cropping damaged the movie so I have something to link to.
This later thread is here: Analysis of severe cropping on Terminator 2 broadcast (BucketList Ch)

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-12-05 at 11:39. . Reason: Now added the link to the other thread
Old 2017-12-03 , 09:13
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Doubt the channels are thinking too much either way, look at Blade Runner on the Bucket List channel, broadcast properly with the full scenes visible and a letterbox format. This is done all the time, yet on a movie that really needed it like T2 it wasn't. More care and attention needs to be taken this regard and if they really can't get hold of an uncropped version from their distributors then that feedback needs to go up the chain to them.

I can't stress enough how badly this cropping affected T2 when I tried to watch it.
Old 2017-12-03 , 09:43

Personally I have noticed that in most seen cases modern movies are no longer cropped. Presumably most users have the 16:9 option these days and have learnt to use it if cropped is wanted.
But that's just a good guess.

In the case of a temp channel like The Bucketlist, much of the content will have already been received and broadcast years ago and since stored, so it makes sense that these differences will arise depending on circumstances then. This has happened before with previous movie festivals.
Agreed, better attention to detail is needed, if it's that simple.
Old 2017-12-04 , 12:57
MultiChoice

Hi All

Your feedback was sent through to the relevant teams involved.
Old 2017-12-04 , 13:00
Changes remote batteries daily

Thanks. But with all the movies gone from CU+ it's rather pointless now.

Explora
Old 2017-12-04 , 13:25

Just checked again, still missing but I suspect they must be moving them to CU now as mentioned..
Old 2017-12-05 , 07:26
MultiChoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanP View Post
Thanks. But with all the movies gone from CU+ it's rather pointless now.
The feedback received is appreciated, and will be taken into consideration for new and upcoming projects.