Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > SD-PVR set to RIP
Old 2017-11-21 , 23:10
Technical Myriad

Long time no hear from you!
Don't be fooled, ProAsm is far more knowledgeable about these things than he makes out to be! If I remember correctly he is a HAM and knows plenty about satcomms and normal terrestrial radio reception.

PS: Those that have started playing around with DVB-T2 DTT reception will tell you that matching and proper termination of ports make quite a big difference to the quality of reception! Even with the SLNB, it is now pretty important that unused ports are properly terminated!

As to the advice already given, can't really add much except maybe to confirm a few things.

(1) The Explora 2 still has RF ports available so distribution RF around the home as you have at the moment is still possible and the tvLINKs will work as is. No changes. All you will have to do ensure that you recalibrate them when you connect up the new decoder. The SD PVR has a far better PSU in it and is more sensitive than the new decoders as far as receiving relayed remote commands.
(2) Unless you are planning to throw away or have already replaced your TVs with digital TVs, there is no need to get too worried about HDMI distribution just yet.
(3) The biggest challenge is to replace the existing LNB with the SLNB. If you are still interested in doing this yourself, we can have an off line chat about how to do this easily and simply.
(4) As there are already two cables in place, and if these are still in good condition there is no need to start running more cables.
(5) The best option is to go for one of the SD PVR swop options, whichever one suits you the best.
(6) You could go and get an Explora 2A on the BF deal as well but then what are you going to do with the SD PVR? If you switch off and de-activate it, the deal will lapse and MC will after a while consider it as not eligible for the swop out deal as it is no longer active.
(7) If you do decide to go with 2 decoders, then buy one on the BF deal, and swop out the SD PVR for the other.
(8) Place them in the one room next to each other where the current LNB cables are. Simply combine the RF Outputs via a simple T-piece to the existing RF distribution setup you have, done and dusted.
(9) Let the HB go via the SLNB cabling and SLNB problem solved!

What you will have to get used to though is that recorded material cannot be shared between the decoders -- that is basically the biggest adjustment.

2 x Explora will give you record 2 and view 2, slightly more than you have now. BUT you could easily get away with view one and record one provided both of you don't want to watch something different at the same time. So it is a case of all watching the same recording or you having to watch that knitting program when the Grand Prix is on depending on who has control of the remote.
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.
Old 2017-11-22 , 06:50
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Don't be fooled, ProAsm is far more knowledgeable about these things than he makes out to be! If I remember correctly he is a HAM and knows plenty about satcomms and normal terrestrial radio reception.
Thanks for the heads-up, but glad to have helped fill in the gaps and as I knew a couple of HAMs he's forgiven
Old 2017-11-22 , 23:02
Still gets up to change channels

Hi Geoff, yes it's been a while and although I was a registered member with ECSA, once you go past 68, your memory and mind goes South although I keep my mind occupied with my C++ and C# programming, see www.proasm.com
Anyways still a big thanks to Optimist for his patience and today (Wednesday) we went down to Makro and bought the R1499 package which is the Explora 2 + 80cm dish, 25 meters cable, sim card, DSTV WiFi + installation etc etc..
I worked it that this was a better deal than the R899 job as the DIY with SLNB cost + adjusting + labour etc worked out a lot more expensive.
In this way I can sit back with an Amstel (where I belong) and watch somebody else do the work and keep my ol SD-PVR on the mantelpiece as a momentum
Old 2017-11-23 , 09:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProAsm View Post
...we went down to Makro and bought the R1499 package which is the Explora 2 + 80cm dish, 25 meters cable, sim card, DSTV WiFi + installation etc etc..
Please clarify for me...the R1499 deal doesn't include the DSTV WiFi connector, does it?
https://www.makro.co.za/electronics-...ation-325295EA
Old 2017-11-23 , 12:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashprod View Post
Please clarify for me...the R1499 deal doesn't include the DSTV WiFi connector, does it?
https://www.makro.co.za/electronics-...ation-325295EA
Yes it does, got everything installed this morning and am a very happy chappie now
They put up the new dish, old one was rusted, new SLNB and installed the WiFi goodie.
Only dissapointment I have is you cannot watch one channel on one TV, while view a recording on another, that is a huge step backwards.
I'm already starting to miss my SD-PVR
Old 2017-11-23 , 12:26
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProAsm View Post
Only dissapointment I have is you cannot watch one channel on one TV, while view a recording on another, that is a huge step backwards.
I'm already starting to miss my SD-PVR
Which is why you need the second decoder, but I am sure you know that