Forum > Decoders > Standard Decoders > Audio / Video sync on DSD 4U?
Old 2017-02-17 , 00:48
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Default Audio / Video sync on DSD 4U?

On Saturday, 11 February, we were forced by DStv to switch our SD decoder (DSD 1110) for an HD (DSD 4U) - the SD decoder had developed errors, and the consultant at Randburg informed us that SD decoders were no longer available for swapping under the decoder care contract.

Since then, we have experienced repeated, highly annoying issues with audio and video sync. These have been serious to the point of making TV unwatchable on at least five or six occasions since Saturday, and it is now only (just) Friday. Sometimes, the audio is behind the video; sometimes ahead. It occurs with audio set to either "fixed" or "variable", and seems to grow worse over time (sometimes, even within the same programme, it appears to worsen). The issue has been noted on multiple channels (including BBC First 119, ITV Choice 123, VH1 Classic 323, and BBC World News 400 - basically, almost all of the channels we regularly use), and seems to be more noticeable after switching channels, and especially after using the menus or EPG.

Is this likely to be an issue with the individual unit, or the model?

In case it matters, our decoder is connected using the RCA composite video and LR audio jacks. No other outputs or inputs other than the LNB are connected. The overall setup is exactly the same as for our previous decoder, with which we did not have this issue.

Last edited by Terrence; 2017-02-17 at 05:25. . Reason: Additional information; typos.
Old 2017-02-17 , 07:30
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
Is this likely to be an issue with the individual unit, or the model?
Very likely the unit IMO, we've seen no other forum reports of this problem on the 4136 HD Decoder. In fact it's years since there was anything at all posted that I can recall, which used to be about syncing on some of the old HD PVRs.
Also, your 4136 is similar in many respects to the Exploras - I've got an Explora 1 and don't have the problem.

Hope this is a last for you Terrence, with lightning / surge issues etc. before I know you've not had a good run with decoders the last couple of years
Old 2017-02-17 , 23:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Very likely the unit IMO, we've seen no other forum reports of this problem on the 4136 HD Decoder. In fact it's years since there was anything at all posted that I can recall, which used to be about syncing on some of the old HD PVRs.
Thanks.

We'll take it back and see. I wondered if the lack of reports was due either to people using HDMI (which in the past has reportedly not shown issues present on other outputs, but not an option for us), or simple issue fatigue - in the past with sync issues, when an explicit call for reports was made, people made them, but several said they just hadn't bothered, because they saw no sign of MC doing anything (kind of like the ad break issue).

BTW, does the Explora have an autotune reminder option? This is something I often used on the old DSD1110, especially when waiting for a live match or similar, but doesn't seem to exist on the 4U / 4136 (though I have to say the manual, as with many modern electronics, is not as helpful as it could be).

Last edited by Terrence; 2017-02-17 at 23:06. .
Old 2017-02-17 , 23:31
Changes remote batteries hourly

Glad to assist.

Quote:
I wondered if the lack of reports was due either to people using HDMI (which in the past has reportedly not shown issues present on other outputs, but not an option for us), or simple issue fatigue - in the past with sync issues, when an explicit call for reports was made, people made them, but several said they just hadn't bothered, because they saw no sign of MC doing anything (kind of like the ad break issue).
I tend to use most outputs fairly regularly for tech reasons, still haven't seen the problem.
But indeed, issue fatigue is a problem here, especially as this is concentrated-error-heaven (or hell if one prefers).

Quote:
BTW, does the Explora have an autotune reminder option? This is something I often used on the old DSD1110, especially when waiting for a live match or similar, but doesn't seem to exist on the 4U / 4136 (though I have to say the manual, as with many modern electronics, is not as helpful as it could be).
I've not used reminders much on the Explora. If I recall correctly the new generation method is a combination of both older reminder choices - it first displays the reminder with an option to select the channel alerted to or exit, and if leaving that alone (if not by the TV for instance) I think it autotunes after x seconds.

Press the OK button while focused on a program on the i-Plate or in the EPG, if the choice is not then in a pop up list then it seems that's one of the differences which I don't know about.
Old 2017-05-03 , 13:55
Knows how to use a remote

Hi Terrence

Some feedback below from our tech gurus:

It will be best to take the decoder in for testing. Please remember to take the power supply cables in as a faulty or incorrect power cable could have a different voltage/amp rating and this could result in strange problems.

Also, there was new software launched last week.
Please check “Settings > User Preferences > General”.
If the option “Download latest software” is selectable then your software is not up to date. Please select the option to upgrade to the latest software and check if the problem persists.

Regarding Auto-tune reminders:
Go to a future event/program on the TV Guide or info plate on your screen, Press OK on the event and select “Set Reminder”. This will setup an auto-tune reminder for that event
Old 2017-06-15 , 01:06

Thanks for the reply, MC Sandipa, and apologies for the delay in responding.

I appreciate your advice about the power cable as a possible issue; however, when we returned the (new out of the box) decoder at Randburg, we took the power cable, and the person we dealt with did not even look at it. So the message that this may be a cause of problems has apparently not been communicated to (all) staff.
Old 2017-06-20 , 09:13

Hi Terrence

I will look into this matter for you - is the box now working fine?
Old 2017-07-04 , 19:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Sandipa View Post
I will look into this matter for you - is the box now working fine?
We still have occasional issues with audio-video sync. Looking at this over time, I suspect one cause may be an issue arising from the HDCP handshake when switching between channels on our HD TV (depending on the device we are watching from, we may need to use AV, RF, or a second HDMI input). Sometimes, when switching to the HDMI input from the DSD, there will be a momentary picture or audio breakup, and I think this may cause some sync issues.

Thanks for your assistance.
Old 2017-07-05 , 12:17

Hi Terrence,

It’s possible there could be some audio and video breakup when switching inputs on the TV to HDMI.
This should settle quickly and should not cause audio-video sync issues afterwards.

Please confirm the following:

Is the decoder experiencing the problem on channel change or randomly while watching TV?
Is the audio-video sync problem on RCA or HDMI?
How often does the decoder experience the problem?

Regards,
MC Mpho
Old 2017-07-17 , 06:18

Quote:
Is the decoder experiencing the problem on channel change or randomly while watching TV?
Sometimes it happens when changing channels on the DSD; sometimes when going into and then out of the DSD menus (it was doing this when setting up both of the DSD 4Us we've had so far that first revealed the issue); sometimes it happens when switching channels on the TV (which is unavoidable, as it is the only way we can use the various devices we have); sometimes it happens over time, with no DSD or TV channel changes.

Quote:
Is the audio-video sync problem on RCA or HDMI?
Both.

Quote:
How often does the decoder experience the problem?
Varies. Sometimes several times a day (especially if we've used DSD menus or changed channels a lot); sometimes we go a few days without seeing it.

I don't know if this is relevant, but we also find that, approximately once a week on average, we get a "no signal" error after the DSD has performed its daily reboot (set for 04h20). Sometimes turning the DSD off and on using the remote resolves this; sometimes a hard reboot is required.