Forum > Decoders > Remotes > Explora Model 1 and 2A both responding to remote
Old 2017-06-21 , 08:39
Knows how to use a remote

Default Explora Model 1 and 2A both responding to remote

Hello

I have both and Explora Model 1 and Model 2A in the same room

I only have 1 remote (came with the Explora Model 1)

My problem is that both decoders are responding to this remote at the same time

I know this has something to do with the respond and relay settings but I am just not sure what these settings should be

Lounge

Explora Model 2A is the primary and should respond to the Remote

Explora Model 1 is the extraview and while the decoders are in the same room the TV for Extraview Decoder is in another room and I have a TV-Link installed there. This decoder should not respond to remote in Lounge

Play Room
As mentioned above there is a TV with TV-Link to control the Extraview Decoder (Explorer Model 1)

Would be nice to control both decoders from Play Room as I have RF feed for both in the Play Room

I know that the Remote has green buttons at the top. Number 1 and Number 2 if I am not mistaken

Is there a way to configure the remote the Mode 1 on remote is for Primary Decoder and Mode 2 on remote is for Extraview?

Thanks
Mark
Extraview 2 : Coming Soon
Cables : Many
Old 2017-06-21 , 09:16
It was a dark and stormy night.
(But because his installation was sound, his DStv reception was perfect.)

Drape a cloth over the primary decoder so it cannot respond to the remote. Press the blue DSTv button and the secondary decoder will respond, scroll to Settings, select System Settings, Remote control and set it to ignore Mode 1. You now need to set the remote to mode 2 for using the secondary decoder press and hold down the Info and Back buttons, this will change the remote to the next mode. The Standby light will give 2 blinks in the colour of the next mode to confirm the change. To change back to Mode 1, repeat the process. The colours for the different modes are as follows: Mode 1 - Red, Mode 2 - Green, Mode 3 - Orange. I hope this helps
Old 2017-06-21 , 09:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennethM View Post
Drape a cloth over the primary decoder so it cannot respond to the remote. Press the blue DSTv button and the secondary decoder will respond, scroll to Settings, select System Settings, Remote control and set it to ignore Mode 1. You now need to set the remote to mode 2 for using the secondary decoder press and hold down the Info and Back buttons, this will change the remote to the next mode. The Standby light will give 2 blinks in the colour of the next mode to confirm the change. To change back to Mode 1, repeat the process. The colours for the different modes are as follows: Mode 1 - Red, Mode 2 - Green, Mode 3 - Orange. I hope this helps
Hi

Thanks, will give it a try this afternoon

Mark
Old 2017-06-21 , 09:54
Changes remote batteries hourly

Hi Mark,

Kenneth is describing the newer A7 remote, the A6 that you have is similar but without the colour indications referred to at the end.

There's a bit more to it all, so here's the post I was preparing anyway which will explain it all in detail. As needed move the cloth Ken suggests to cover the decoder not being worked on.

Both decoders are likely set on Mode 1, but whatever the current settings are here's what's needed;

Explora 2a:
Mode 1 - Respond
Mode 2 - Ignore
Mode 3 - Ignore
Legacy Remotes - Ignore
TV Link / Aux Power - On
RF Transmit Port - RF Out

Explora 1:
Mode 1 - Ignore
Mode 2 - Respond
Mode 3 - Ignore
Legacy Remotes - Ignore
TV Link / Aux Power - Off
RF Transmit Port - RF Out

The best way to connect the RF is with a SLX splitter combining both of the Explora's RF Out ports and its output feeding to the Playroom with its TV Link Eye attached.
Other ways can be used, post further if you have a different wiring setup and I'll advise.

One factor of changing the remote modes on these decoders themselves is a little more tricky but only has to be done once, and in your case only applies to the Explora 1. The other settings, on both Exploras, are easily adjustable.
Don't change any modes anywhere yet, only as per my instructions that follow.
On the Explora 1:
Change Mode 2 to "Respond" and then press the OK button.
Now change the remote itself to Mode 2.
Go into the remote menu again and change Mode 1 to "Ignore" and then press the OK button.

Even if you end up with the newer A7 remote (you have the A6), it doesn't matter - either version can control either decoder.
If anything about this remote control mode changing itself is uncertain to you, there's clear instructions on how to change the mode in the booklets that come with them.
Old 2017-06-21 , 10:05

Thanks Optimist

Yes I currently use an SLX splitter to combine the RF OUT's from the 2 decoders and then split these off to the various TV's. And have a TV Link on the feed that goes to the Playroom

A question on the Legacy Remotes. I see in the settings they are turned off. Can a legacy remote (say one from the HD PVR4) control the Explora. At the moment I only have 1 X A6 remote so would have to take it to the playroom to change channels there. Or do I need to get another A6 remote?
Old 2017-06-21 , 10:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeylis View Post
Yes I currently use an SLX splitter to combine the RF OUT's from the 2 decoders and then split these off to the various TV's. And have a TV Link on the feed that goes to the Playroom
Perfect. All that should then be needed to change which decoder you're controlling in the Playroom is to change the remote's mode there each time.

Quote:
A question on the Legacy Remotes. I see in the settings they are turned off. Can a legacy remote (say one from the HD PVR4) control the Explora. At the moment I only have 1 X A6 remote so would have to take it to the playroom to change channels there. Or do I need to get another A6 remote?
Unfortunately legacy remotes can't be set to control modern decoders, but if you have the old A3 remote it can learn the keys, one at a time.
You may have had the A4 remote with your HD PVR 4-tuner, that can't be used.

The Exploras' setting for that is only for allowing the relaying of actual legacy remote signals, only used by some of the people who still have one of those older decoders included in their setup.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-06-21 at 10:31. . Reason: Tidy up
Old 2017-06-21 , 10:53

Quote:
Yes I currently use an SLX splitter to combine the RF OUT's from the 2 decoders and then split these off to the various TV's.
Nearly missed this

Any other TV(s) connected to this RF cabling setup, that is any without a TV Link, must have a DC Block. Otherwise the power being used on your RF cabling can cause damage.
It's even possible that this was related to your past problems...
Old 2017-06-21 , 11:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Nearly missed this

Any other TV(s) connected to this RF cabling setup, that is any without a TV Link, must have a DC Block. Otherwise the power being used on your RF cabling can cause damage.
It's even possible that this was related to your past problems...
Hi

Thanks for the heads up. What is a DC block and where can one get one and I assume they are cheaper than TV links otherwise I would just get TV Links

At the moment its only the TV in the Playroom.

I used to have 2 other TVs connected but hasnt been like this for a while. When they were connected they 2 though had TV Links
Old 2017-06-21 , 11:31

Sure thing.
Ok, doesn't sound related to the problems then. Unless you're also connecting the Lounge TV to RF, then a DC Block is certainly needed there.

TV Link Eyes should only be used where distant remote control is needed.
In your case you have only needed other TVs to include TV Link Eyes.

A DC Block is much cheaper, it simply blocks the DC current from passing through to the TV and any other equipment in use there.
Most suppliers of TV systems' parts should have them.
(TV Links effectively do the same thing, but can cause remote signals confusion if incorrectly used in the wrong places.)

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-06-21 at 11:35. .
Old 2017-06-21 , 11:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Sure thing.
Ok, doesn't sound related to the problems then. Unless you're also connecting the Lounge TV to RF, then a DC Block is certainly needed there.

TV Link Eyes should only be used where distant remote control is needed.
In your case you have only needed other TVs to include TV Link Eyes.

A DC Block is much cheaper, it simply blocks the DC current from passing through to the TV and any other equipment in use there.
Most suppliers of TV systems' parts should have them.
(TV Links effectively do the same thing, but can cause remote signals confusion if incorrectly used in the wrong places.)
Lounge TV being where all the decoders are physically situated only has HDMI cables from the decoders, No RF