Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > Dolby Digital via HDMI
Old 2018-01-14 , 18:17
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle bailey View Post
I do have mine set at fixed. Perhaps what I've been watching just doesn't have Dolby Digital. But definitely SEEMS to be lacking surround sound on channel 203 during some of the recent football matches. Will need to watch and listen next game.
I posted about the absence of DD 5.1 on the SS channels (particularly 203), but have had no response. It's definitely not a surround experience.
Old 2018-01-18 , 11:44
Still gets up to change channels

I am currently watching Transformers on 106 with soundtrack set to english original and audio set to fixed and therefore no volume control. Connection is via HDMI to Samsung 46" Smart TV and the optical from the TV to a Dolby Digital Amp. The TV setting for its SPDIF output still shows the signal from Explora source as PCM. The same setup is used on PS3 and Boxee and a bluray player and the TV detects Dolby and routes to its digital signal via its TOSLINK connector to Dolby Digital Amp and the Dolby indicator lights up. So it points to an issue with Explora not ouputting a DD signal to the TV via HDMI. This configuration allows me to use TV audio for quieter times and DD Amp for full experience from any source that the TV is connected to. The TV is also DD compliant so it should receive a DD signal via HDMI from Explora.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 2018-01-18 , 11:53
Changes remote batteries hourly

It's hard to read your posts, please use paragraphs. Thnx
Old 2018-01-18 , 11:53
4K, baby!

I just checked this on the same channel and same movie but with my Explora connected via HDMI directly to my AMP and the DD light on the Amp does go on - so it seems the issue might be elsewhere?
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2018-01-18 , 12:30

I am currently watching Transformers on 106 with soundtrack set to english original and audio set to fixed and therefore no volume control.

Connection is via HDMI to Samsung 46" Smart TV and the optical from the TV to a Dolby Digital Amp. The TV setting for its SPDIF output still shows the signal from Explora source as PCM.

The same setup is used on PS3 and Boxee and a bluray player and the TV detects Dolby and routes to its digital signal via its TOSLINK connector to Dolby Digital Amp and the Dolby indicator lights up.

So it points to an issue with Explora not ouputting a DD signal to the TV via HDMI. This configuration allows me to use TV audio for quieter times and DD Amp for full experience from any source that the TV is connected to. The TV is also DD compliant so it should receive a DD signal via HDMI from Explora.

Old 2018-01-18 , 12:34

I have tried several channels and various content services. None of them appear to work.

The Explora is the only source device that does not work in this configuration.

Old 2018-01-18 , 12:47
MultiChoice

@NoFear - what sound option is your Explora set on? Fixed or Variable?
Old 2018-01-18 , 13:59
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
@NoFear - what sound option is your Explora set on? Fixed or Variable?
In his post #15 he states that it's "fixed".
Old 2018-01-18 , 14:25
MultiChoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle bailey View Post
In his post #15 he states that it's "fixed".
Apologies, missed that.
Old 2018-01-18 , 14:43
MultiChoice

We could get someone out to come look at your system - odd that it works for @Krugie and not for you. Possibly just something obvious we're missing.