Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > Explora problem: Flashing horizontal lines
Old 2015-10-31 , 10:38
Changes remote batteries daily

Default Explora problem: Flashing horizontal lines

Today we have experienced a problem with our new Explora.

When trying to watch recorded programming on either Catch-up, or user-recorded Playlist content, we see rapidly flashing horizontal black/white lines.

When first starting to view recorded programming,the picture is OK, then within a few seconds the flashing horizontal lines appear. The picture content is there, but the flashing lines make viewing impossible.

We have rebooted the Explora, but the issue persists.

The issue described does NOT appear when watching "live" broadcast TV programming.

Signal Strength is 74% .. Signal quality is 100%

Any ideas on what could cause this?
Old 2015-10-31 , 10:44
Technical Myriad

Is the issue there for only some recorded material and CU?

If so then it is an issue with either the signal at the time the download happened or with the HDD.

Watch what you can of the recorded stuff and the CU you are interested in before it expires and*reformat the HDD.

BTW is there any indication that identifies who the manufacturer of the Decoder is?
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.
Old 2015-10-31 , 10:51
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
.........When trying to watch recorded programming on either Catch-up, or user-recorded Playlist content, we see rapidly flashing horizontal black/white lines........
Hi Crusher, we'll need to check and eliminate a couple of things to pinpoint this issue.

You say "new Explora", so I guess this issue has been present on recorded since you first installed it? Not appeared after previously having worked properly? Please confirm.

I'm also assuming you are using an HDMI cable to connect to a flat-screen TV and using the HDMI input on that TV? Please confirm.

Please will you take a picture of the screen when exhibiting the problem and post here, so we can better "see" the fault.

There could be a fault on the Explora's hard drive or associated electronics; so let's start the elimination.

Please pause the "live" TV content, then after say 10 seconds, un-pause it to play in the "live buffer" (This also uses hard drive to buffer content, whereas un-time shifted pure live TV does not). Does this exhibit the same flashing lines ?

Please go through the following fault finding until the fault disappears, then report back.

Go into "settings" "User preferences" "Video and Audio" and change the HDMI settings to 720p if currently on 1080i (or visa versa). Please let me know which way you changed the setting. Did this fix the problem? .....

..... Even if not, this could still be a TV (or compatibility) issue, so we need to eliminate further. What is the make/model of your TV and does it have the latest firmware loaded?

Try connecting the Explora to a different HDMI input on the TV. Does this eliminate the problem?

Better still, try connecting the Explora to a completely different TV. Does this eliminate the problem? If the problem still exits on a different TV then it is clearly an Explora issue. If the fault disappears when using a different TV then it's either a TV issue or a compatibility issue. If still present on a different TV we the need to narrow down the Explora issue a bit further.

Let's see if the problem is purely HDMI related, or on all output types of the Explora. Please use a set of RCA leads to connect from the Explora to the TV and select the appropriate video input on the TV. Has the fault disappeared? If so it is HDMI related.

Please eliminate to this point and provide us some feedback.

Cheers, K.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2015-10-31 at 11:25. . Reason: tidy up
Old 2015-10-31 , 11:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

If so then it is an issue with either the signal at the time the download happened or with the HDD.

Watch what you can of the recorded stuff and the CU you are interested in before it expires and*reformat the HDD.

BTW is there any indication that identifies who the manufacturer of the Decoder is?
The issue is with all recorded, and all CU content

Re: the manufacturer of our Explorer .. I took a photo of the "Decoder Status" screen .. see attached image below. Not sure if it gives the manufacturer detail?

DSCN9094.JPG
Old 2015-10-31 , 11:17
4K, baby!

Quote:
....... BTW is there any indication that identifies who the manufacturer of the Decoder is? ......
Why do you ask this, Geoff? AFIK all Explorae are manufactured by Pace and have a Pace tally plate on the underside.
Do you suspect, (or have knowledge) that this may have changed?
Cheers, K.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2015-10-31 at 11:33. .
Old 2015-10-31 , 12:02

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
Hi Crusher, we'll need to check and eliminate a couple of things to pinpoint this issue.

You say "new Explora", so I guess this issue has been present on recorded since you first installed it? Not appeared after previously having worked properly? Please confirm.

I'm also assuming you are using an HDMI cable to connect to a flat-screen TV and using the HDMI input on that TV? Please confirm.

Please will you take a picture of the screen when exhibiting the problem and post here, so we can better "see" the fault.

There could be a fault on the Explora's hard drive or associated electronics; so let's start the elimination.

Please pause the "live" TV content, then after say 10 seconds, un-pause it to play in the "live buffer" (This also uses hard drive to buffer content, whereas un-time shifted pure live TV does not). Does this exhibit the same flashing lines ?

Please go through the following fault finding until the fault disappears, then report back.

Go into "settings" "User preferences" "Video and Audio" and change the HDMI settings to 720p if currently on 1080i (or visa versa). Please let me know which way you changed the setting. Did this fix the problem? .....

..... Even if not, this could still be a TV (or compatibility) issue, so we need to eliminate further. What is the make/model of your TV and does it have the latest firmware loaded?

Try connecting the Explora to a different HDMI input on the TV. Does this eliminate the problem?

Better still, try connecting the Explora to a completely different TV. Does this eliminate the problem? If the problem still exits on a different TV then it is clearly an Explora issue. If the fault disappears when using a different TV then it's either a TV issue or a compatibility issue. If still present on a different TV we the need to narrow down the Explora issue a bit further.

Let's see if the problem is purely HDMI related, or on all output types of the Explora. Please use a set of RCA leads to connect from the Explora to the TV and select the appropriate video input on the TV. Has the fault disappeared? If so it is HDMI related.

Please eliminate to this point and provide us some feedback.

Cheers, K.
BINGO! That sorted the problem! The TV was set on 1080i ... I do not know why, as we have always had it set on 720p for years now. I did not even think to check that setting
No kids in the house either who may have changed it inadvertently (although at my advanced age I may have regressed to infancy!)
Thanks to Sandtonman & Geoff for their help.
Old 2015-10-31 , 12:28
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
BINGO! That sorted the problem! The TV was set on 1080i ... I do not know why, as we have always had it set on 720p for years now. I did not even think to check that setting ........
My pleasure, Crusher; glad to be of assistance

As a corollary, the Explora/Sony combination should work with either 720p or 1080i without problem. So the problem you experienced may come down to a compatibility issue between that Explora and the Sony TV (I saw the brand on your screenshot )

I remember from a while back there were HDMI compatibility issues that were fixed with TV firmware updates. These included Sony, if my memory serves me well

But if you are happy with 720p (and that's a completely different discussion) then you might as well call it fixed! Cheers, K.
Old 2015-10-31 , 12:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
My pleasure, Crusher; glad to be of assistance

As a corollary, the Explora/Sony combination should work with either 720p or 1080i without problem. So the problem you experienced may come down to a compatibility issue between that Explora and the Sony TV (I saw the brand on your screenshot )

I remember from a while back there were HDMI compatibility issues that were fixed with TV firmware updates. These included Sony, if my memory serves me well

But if you are happy with 720p (and that's a completely different discussion) then you might as well call it fixed! Cheers, K.
One day soon I need to research the pros/cons of Interlaced vs Progressive broadcast standards.

The Sony TV we have is quite old now, as I bought it years ago when still working in Randburg before I sold my business and retired to WC.

It's a 40" Model KLV-40 S400A, which was "hi-tech" back then. I have been mulling the possibility of an upgrade to a more modern TV for some time now, and the next TV I get will be a "smart" TV and have all the bells & whistles such as Internet Connectivity, etc.
Tags
catch up, explora, playlist