Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > Pathetic Editing of Tour De France

Old 2011-07-09 , 22:05
4K, baby!

Default Pathetic Editing of Tour De France

I was watching the edited highlights package of Saturday's Tour De France race on Channel 202 at around 21:30 on Saturday night when with ten kilometers to go and the race at a very interesting stage the commentator was cut in mid sentence and we went to a commercial break.

I felt that the break could have waited for a few seconds more until the commentator had at least finished his sentence.

Then, to show the utter ineptitude of whoever it was who was in charge of the editing when Supersport returned to the race we saw someone coming over the finish line followed by a couple of other riders. WHAT HAPPENED OVER THE LAST TEN KILOMETERS?? Did the main bunch catch the leaders? What about the second bunch of riders who were chasing the leaders?

Then we have approximately fifteen minutes at the end of the race where commentators speak of positions in the race and other information which could rather have been reduced instead of removing the most exciting part of the race. Namely, the final couple of kilometers.

Sorry but whoever is responsible for this disaster should be shot or never allowed anywhere near an editing machine again.
Old 2011-07-09 , 22:37
Still listens to the wireless

Agreed, the botched editing completely ruined the (quite exciting) conclusion to the race. To rub further salt in the wounds, earlier in the broadcast the stretch from roughly 18 kilometers to go to about kilometer 12 was shown THREE times in succession.

All in all a very disappointing performance.
Old 2011-07-10 , 14:08

Angry

All in all a very disappointing performance.[/QUOTE]

To say the least. How can you show the 20 to 11.5 km three times and then not show the last 10km.??????? How poor was that. I am supprised that not more Tour De France Fans did not post on this forum. This weeks highlights have been poor the whole week, and unless you got home early in the afternoon and watched it live, the editing was done by a 12 year old who skates. Not a Cycling Fan.
Old 2011-07-10 , 19:53
4K, baby!

Would be very nice IF Multichoice could give us an explanation for this diabolical bit of editing? We are waiting!
Old 2011-07-10 , 20:36

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle bailey View Post
Would be very nice IF Multichoice could give us an explanation for this diabolical bit of editing? We are waiting!
Again tonight, Sunday, the program is supposed to start at 20h00, but it starts at 20h30 with no apology, explanation. Tour de France is the Final of Cycling like a Super 15 and this is the way they treat cyclists, with a entry of 35 thousand on the Argus(meaning a lot of Cyclists are viewers) you would think there is more respect to the cycling viewers.
Old 2011-07-11 , 08:48
MultiChoice

I will leave SuperSport to comment on this but wanted to tell you that when I visited them last week, the Tour de France feed was a live one coming in from overseas producers. I remember the guys telling me that they need to break when the live feed breaks.
Old 2011-07-11 , 09:06
A big, eagle-eyed baobab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle bailey View Post
I was watching the edited highlights package of Saturday's Tour De France race on Channel 202 at around 21:30 on Saturday night

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
I will leave SuperSport to comment on this but wanted to tell you that when I visited them last week, the Tour de France feed was a live one coming in from overseas producers. I remember the guys telling me that they need to break when the live feed breaks.
Old 2011-07-11 , 12:07
SuperSport

Good morning.
The technical report follows below, but, briefly, this was an in-house error.
Consequently, the controller has been summoned to an urgent disciplinary meeting.
Please accept SuperSport’s sincere apologies.

The controller split the slug to ad sponsor elements and had the wrong SOM (Start of message) for the other segments. This resulted in the repetition of the second segment and the last 9 minutes of the race not being broadcast. This was not reported as the controller was not aware of the problem. If you were not following the race, you wouldn’t have noticed the error, as there were pictures and the sponsor elements played out as scheduled. The only way to see this is if you check the distance remaining on the race or actually follow the commentary. This is an experienced team that worked on Saturday night and this was not picked up by the controller, TX Producer, Team leader nor shift supervisor. There were no problems with the edit or the slugs, it was a human error from MCR’s side. We will update our TX reports accordingly and deal with the matter.
Old 2011-07-12 , 09:31

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Clinton View Post
Good morning.
Consequently, the controller has been summoned to an urgent disciplinary meeting.

The controller split the slug to ad sponsor elements and had the wrong SOM (Start of message) for the other segments. This resulted in the repetition of the second segment and the last 9 minutes of the race not being broadcast. This was not reported as the controller was not aware of the problem. If you were not following the race, you wouldn’t have noticed the error, as there were pictures and the sponsor elements played out as scheduled. The only way to see this is if you check the distance remaining on the race or actually follow the commentary. This is an experienced team that worked on Saturday night and this was not picked up by the controller, TX Producer, Team leader nor shift supervisor. There were no problems with the edit or the slugs, it was a human error from MCR’s side. We will update our TX reports accordingly and deal with the matter.
Appology Accepted. Thanks for the update. I did not wish to get the employees into trouble. Thank you for bringing this event to us.
Old 2011-07-12 , 19:19
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Clinton View Post
Good morning.

Surely, anyone who is INTERESTED in watching the race, whether live or the highlights package, is looking at the time differences between the various cycling groups and how far there is still to go in the race? This after all is what the race is all about.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the Multichoice explanation but the comment above regarding the only way to "see this is if you check the distance on the race or actually follow the commentary" doesn't really make sense to me. Not if the editing is done by someone with knowledge of cycle racing. Just what do they think us viewers are doing when we watch the race or highlights package other than looking at these situations?