View Poll Results: Do you miss the Forum King?
Yes! My heart feels incomplete when the Forum King is not on the forum 1 8.33%
Yes! I think he should make more effort to be here - I don't care if he's busy 5 41.67%
No! Who is the Forum King anyway? 8 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll
Old 2017-11-10 , 11:54
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

I would say Stubborn is appropriate.
Old 2017-11-10 , 11:55
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
You are indecisive - how often do you um and aah about your statements

It was a personal dig at a couple of Scorpions I know, not meant to come across as rude but I saw afterwards that I had dropped my kindness precautions too much... sorry

Will edit it now to "kinky"
Didn't take your original post as anything other than a joke which is why I replied as I did. Also meant to be taken lightly. Or was it? Now I cannot make up my mind?

The Lounge is not really the place where we discuss many serious issues although they do pop up every now and then.

Oh yes, SHOULD Merv still be around, HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY wishes to you. May there be many more such days.
Old 2017-11-10 , 12:34
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Horn View Post
I would say Stubborn is appropriate.
Sounds familiar... , but I think I'll leave the post alone as it is my interpretations

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle bailey View Post
Didn't take your original post as anything other than a joke which is why I replied as I did. Also meant to be taken lightly. Or was it? Now I cannot make up my mind?
Typical Libran answer

(BTW, remember I'm a Libran as well, b-day right next to yours...)
Old 2017-11-13 , 14:12
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
(BTW, remember I'm a Libran as well, b-day right next to yours...)
Great minds and all that hey!!
Old 2017-11-20 , 11:02
4K, baby!

Within the next couple of weeks Vuma will be installing fibre cabling in my street. Does anyone know whether I'm compelled to go for whatever their packaging is or can I look at taking a fibre connection from some other fibre provider? Any recommendations regarding who is a good fibre provider?

Vuma offer a 4 mbps line but then there next offering is a 20 mbps line which is too expensive for me. Other providers offer a 10 mbps which is a bit more "affordable" although still fairly pricey for my pocket.
Old 2017-11-20 , 11:39
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Within the next couple of weeks Vuma will be installing fibre cabling in my street. Does anyone know whether I'm compelled to go for whatever their packaging is or can I look at taking a fibre connection from some other fibre provider? Any recommendations regarding who is a good fibre provider?

Vuma offer a 4 mbps line but then there next offering is a 20 mbps line which is too expensive for me. Other providers offer a 10 mbps which is a bit more "affordable" although still fairly pricey for my pocket.
Different service providers have agreements with different fibre providers but it is definitely possible. My fibre line is a Telkom line but I am using M-Web as my service provider - and I only pay 1 amount to M-Web - nothing to Telkom.

Best to to contact the preferred service providers you are looking at and asking them whether they have an agreement to use Vuma fibre lines. In some areas - especially within estates - there are often an exclusive-use agreement in place.
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2017-11-20 , 12:47

Quote:
This is a comment rather than answering your question, but I do think providers could work on their pricing, as from my perspective there's not a compelling reason to switch to fibre.

I currently have a 4 mbps line with Afrihost which is capped (100GB), but I never get anywhere close to that cap, so for all intents and purposes it's effectively uncapped. That costs me R458pm, but Afrihost fibre 4 mbps 100GB capped is R557pm, so why would I want to change?

Granted, that R458pm doesn't include the Telkom phone line, but my alarm is connected to that, so I still need to keep it. And other providers have similar sorts of prices - I haven't seen anything comparable (or better) to what I already have at a better price.

I get that even at the same quoted speed fibre will generally give a better performance than ADSL, but my line is currently adequate for my needs. While faster would be nice, it's not as though I have problems streaming, accessing websites, and downloads, so I don't feel it's worth the additional cost and for now I'm not going to bother making the switch.
Old 2017-11-20 , 13:02
Changes remote batteries hourly

It seems that's quite a common sentiment Citanul, even beyond our shores where broadband is far more cost effective. I saw an article recently about ISP's in the States that have been proven to have been purposely avoiding copper cable maintenance and repairs to try boost fibre subscriptions as the population are not seeing it as a beneficial enough change.
Old 2017-11-20 , 14:26
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krugie View Post
Best to to contact the preferred service providers you are looking at and asking them whether they have an agreement to use Vuma fibre lines. In some areas - especially within estates - there are often an exclusive-use agreement in place.
Krugie I posted my question because I have contacted my service provider, in this case Axxess, asking them the question I posed here. Unfortunately, they haven't given me an answer yet. This approximately a week since I first asked.

Thanks all for your comments. Appreciated.
Old 2017-11-20 , 14:34

On the M-web website - and I'm sure many other service providers, you can enter your address or suburb and you will then see immediately whether they can assist there and with what packages. Vuma is listed there but your area might not be loaded as active yet.

It is possible that Axxess does not have an agreement with Vuma though in which case you would have to change service providers.
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.