Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > Explora calling home
Old 2017-04-20 , 08:35
Still listens to the wireless

Default Explora calling home

Hi,

i would like to know why my Explora is calling home over the internet on an hourly basis. Though the bandwidth is not excessive, I do not see why this is necessary since when I access the Catch-up menu, the images get loaded only then. This leads me to believe that the calling home function does not update such services. What then is it doing and why?
Old 2017-04-20 , 08:55
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom dP View Post
Hi,

i would like to know why my Explora is calling home over the internet on an hourly basis. Though the bandwidth is not excessive, I do not see why this is necessary since when I access the Catch-up menu, the images get loaded only then. This leads me to believe that the calling home function does not update such services. What then is it doing and why?
Spying on your viewing habits for one. But, I am sure it is sending telemetry data back to MC just like MS does. Thanks for confirming a suspicion I have had since this all started.

And herein lies another reason some may be battling with getting their remote recording capability working (especially techno savvy users who have made changes to what protocols and ports they have open on their routers).
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-04-20 at 08:59. .
Old 2017-04-20 , 10:01
MultiChoice

Folks, we do not collect data about your viewing habits from your Explora that is connected to the internet. We have a DStv-i Panel that gives us that data. It is unethical to collect data without getting express permission from customers. (Sorry @Geoff your suspicions are unfounded).

We only track what shows are downloaded via Catch Up Plus but not what you are actually watching on your Explora on Catch Up or live television.
Old 2017-04-20 , 10:41
Changes remote batteries hourly

Just to add - the "call home" function includes allowing the Explora to look for an updated catalogue of what's available on CU+. Updates happen multiple times a day. It uses a very small amount of bandwidth.
Old 2017-04-20 , 16:44
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
Folks, we do not collect data about your viewing habits from your Explora that is connected to the internet. We have a DStv-i Panel that gives us that data. It is unethical to collect data without getting express permission from customers. (Sorry @Geoff your suspicions are unfounded).

We only track what shows are downloaded via Catch Up Plus but not what you are actually watching on your Explora on Catch Up or live television.

Thanks for the correction. But forgive me if I say

"Ja ja, we believe it all just as much as we believe Microsoft's stories about what they do with the data they collect off our PCs" .
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-04-21 , 09:10
MultiChoice

All of us here love research and data - the DStv-i research is devoured when it comes out. That is why I am very confident when I say we DO NOT collect data off your internet connected Explora about what you are watching - else we would have been sharing that data far and wide within the company.

The inference that we are somehow doing some unethical or underhanded and openly lying about it, is really not ok.
Old 2017-04-21 , 15:29
Still gets up to change channels

Quote:
... We have a DStv-i Panel that gives us that data. ...
Please forgive my ignorance, but is this DStv-i Panel that you are referring to the i-Plate on the decoders? Or have I completely missed the bus on this one....
Old 2017-04-23 , 08:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbw View Post
Please forgive my ignorance, but is this DStv-i Panel that you are referring to the i-Plate on the decoders? Or have I completely missed the bus on this one....
Not related. The DStv-i Panel is a separate system, only used by those involved in the invited collection of data.
Old 2017-04-27 , 14:29
Watches YouTube a lot!

Quote:
FIt is unethical to collect data without getting express permission from customers. (Sorry @Geoff your suspicions are unfounded).
Why then, when we expressly disable the option in settings to collect viewing data, does it so often change that setting back to allow? And without notifying us...
Old 2017-04-27 , 17:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgerm View Post
Why then, when we expressly disable the option in settings to collect viewing data, does it so often change that setting back to allow? And without notifying us...
That somewhat contradicts my experience Andrew, when did you first notice it?
I used to have it turned off, for all that period it was never found back on and I did check quite often as I had the same concerns. About 2 to 3 months ago I decided it was harmless and now allow it, so can't speak about that period.