Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > UNWANTED SD PVR REBOOT
Old 2017-08-16 , 19:28
Knows how to use a remote

Mpho,
Thank you for the feedback. But please forgive me if I take that explanation with a pinch of salt. What smartcard issue causes multiple reboots between 6pm and 7:30pm every day, and then all is fine until the next evening?
It might be contributing, but I maintain that the fault lies elsewhere. Would help if others post their smartcard version.

But now that I have been told that my smartcard is making my decoder unusable, and that MC is unable to even upgrade my smartcard, how are you going to get me back to where I am now, without me spending lots of money?
I have that care contract, and both a faulty decoder and a smartcard.
So how are you going to get me my dual pvr channels/environments?
I mean you must be getting people handing back their SD PVR's all the time. And with those...lots of newer versions of smartcards. But you are unable to provision one of those and write it so that I can use it? Not one of those thousands? Heck..I probably have one here from a friend who emigrated and left me his SD PVR and card that I can't use.
And if not, then I would request someone to make contact and find a solution to get me a working 2 PVR environment. And at the same time, for others who are experiencing the same issues.
It is taking 15 minutes to complete a reboot, and multiple reboots (mostly manual) before the channels scan and I get a picture again.
You have told us the problem, but have not provided a solution that is not a step backwards for us users.
Looking forward to the solution, and await your news.

Last edited by Glock26; 2017-08-17 at 19:15. .
Old 2017-08-17 , 13:22

Hi Glock26,

Please note that your query has been logged with our management team.
We will provide a response as soon as possible.

Regards,
Mpho
MC Mpho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2017-08-17 , 19:13

That would be nice, since I am on my 4th reboot in the past 25 minutes...always starting after 6pm of course.
And since I only get to watch tv between 6pm and about 9pm....I am losing a serious chunk of my viewing time every night. Think I can try for a partial refund due reduced service?
Old 2017-08-18 , 12:35
Lurks quietly in the background, and changes remote batteries daily

We are also having the same problem each evening after 6pm??????????
Old 2017-08-19 , 02:24

Is it even necessary to report these continuous reboots or the fact that immediately after a random reboot a manual reboot is required because you don't have control everything is frozen. To log every reboot would be a full-time job and seems to please DSTV's agenda, more complaints from SD PVR subscribers proves their actions are working. Only business that actually thrives on negative response instead of quality service when it comes to SD PVR subscribers. All the HD PVR and Explora customers wait your time will come when DSTV wants to force a new decoder on it's customers.
Old 2017-08-19 , 08:25
Still gets up to change channels

Gee...it's just our smart card's fault that it reboots after 6pm every day? Not MC at all. Umm..Sure.
Old 2017-08-19 , 08:57
Changes remote batteries hourly

My take on it;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
...by now I'm certain the reboots issue must relate to their new system installed a few weeks ago so a bit complex to sort out.
The few emergency EPG fixes over the last few months on this tech discontinued decoder tells me that MC are as interested as always in looking after it and their customers who still use it. They even do some fixes on the much older DualView decoder.
I've also got the SD PVR, a very annoying and unacceptable problem but it is really old tech now so not a total surprise.

@MC - may I suggest that regular feedback would be best even if there's little to say for now, like for those who had the 2P etc. decoders' reboots for months.
Old 2017-08-19 , 09:49

Optimist, reading your posts as a lurker the past few months, it is hardly a surprise you are yet again the local MC cheerleader who blames "old tech" and us customers who are expecting too much from a discontinued device.
Seems to me that MC entered into an agreement to provide a service when they took on the contracts, and even taking yearly payments in advance for a device that is now not functioning, and yet they want to provide customers with a solution that is far reduced from what they have now, at a higher price.
The simple installation options offered as part of the trade in will not cover most homes (that NEVER have one just TV) and the end result is a huge inconvenience for families who have to decide which room has PVR/DVR functionality. Also the change to digital would incur costs for most customers...all while getting less at the end of the day unless we pay significant fees to purchase another device and pay additional installation.

If MC admits that they cannot fix the current SD PVR issues, then in the interests of keeping customers, perhaps they need to look at their trade in offers and make it worthwhile for someone to ditch the old tech. Especially with things like fibre making DSTV increasingly unattractive to many (myself included)
Old 2017-08-19 , 10:07
Changes remote batteries hourly

Most of what you posted makes sense to me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashprod View Post
Optimist, reading your posts as a lurker the past few months, it is hardly a surprise you are yet again the local MC cheerleader who blames "old tech" and us customers who are expecting too much from a discontinued device.
Except this - absolute nonsense, but nothing personal as this is atypical of online behaviour and especially for those who are newer.

Someone like me, who has enough knowledge and chooses to point out the pros of a company as well, will always be targeted by those who refuse to be anything but negative.
This will not stop our efforts to keep a balance, without which there is just uneducated chaos like one finds on the MyBroadband forums.
and I personally don't care what anyone thinks about me, tough...

Now to look at it as IT WAS MEANT - Yes, I am saying the tech is old, no I am NOT saying that is an excuse for MC - read what I said again.
And yes, the time will come when the SD PVR becomes too old to be useful enough, but not yet.
And no, at no point did I say you are expecting too much from a discontinued service - like everyone else here I am saying FIX IT! But with more patience than most as I know it's not a simple problem.

I understand the huge annoyance going on, but blaming isn't the answer. Honestly I doubt anyone knows what exactly is responsible.

What I am fed up with is MC's lack of testing before implementing changes. We were once told it's too complicated to do enough of before launch, for another service that was under scrutiny - sorry, I don't buy that part.
Old 2017-08-19 , 10:12

Fair enough. Apologies. But you are right, it is frustrating.