Forum > Content > General > Lack of repeats
Old 2017-01-18 , 10:49
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cat View Post
Hi all

I know, I know, this thread is going to cause a lot of "debate"...

Not at all, repeats of prime programs are vital due to congestion, such as my Thursday nights. I reckon the main objection to repetition involves long-discontinued series and movies on non-prime channels simply being looped, year after year, ad nausium.
Old 2017-01-18 , 11:35
4K, baby!

Think that most people are reasonable enough to accept that repeats are the order of the day. However, there also comes a time when repeats become ridiculous due to the number of times they've been screened. Top Gear, Pointless, Cricket matches which have just concluded show the highlights package of the same game a couple of times after each other, movies on TCM (sorry but I had to add that) are just some of the areas where the NUMBER of repeats are unacceptable. There are no doubt many others.

It's these types of repeats that need to be addressed. Not the ones where the latest episode of a series is repeated during the next week. Or a movie over the next two or three months.
Old 2017-01-18 , 11:54
MultiChoice

Hi everyone
We’re doing a lot of work over the next few months to reduce repeats and offer more fresh content on DStv, from movies to series to documentaries and lifestyle channels.
Please refer to this thread where we introduced our plans on repeats. And also follow the link to DStv.com for the repeats article that we share with customers.
Thank you.
http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=36333
http://www.dstv.com/en-za/news/fewer-repeats-in-2017-20161213
Old 2017-01-18 , 13:11
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle bailey View Post
However, there also comes a time when repeats become ridiculous due to the number of times they've been screened. Top Gear, Pointless, Cricket matches which have just concluded show the highlights package of the same game a couple of times after each other, movies on TCM (sorry but I had to add that) are just some of the areas where the NUMBER of repeats are unacceptable. There are no doubt many others.
Unfortunately, sports channels aside, those channels aren't controlled by MultiChoice. So while they can try their best to give feedback to those channels about the number of repeats, ultimately all they can do is broadcast what's sent to them.

The flagship MC channels (M-Net, Edge, Vuzu Amp and the M-Net movie channels) are actually pretty good about the level of repeats. So the complaints about DStv being full of repeats are a little unfair and perhaps betray a lack of understanding of the situation.
Old 2017-01-19 , 10:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citanul View Post
Unfortunately, sports channels aside, those channels aren't controlled by MultiChoice. So while they can try their best to give feedback to those channels about the number of repeats, ultimately all they can do is broadcast what's sent to them
That is true but most channels - especially the entertainment channels - have contracts with MC as to the number of hours of new content to show per month or year. If BBC Brit is adhering to that then there is a serious flaw in the contract with them.

For over a year now the same 4 series of Pointless has been shown over and over again and this during prime time every week night from 18H00 to 20h00 - so there has been no new content at all during that period & timeslot. And then those slots are probably followed by Top Gear repeats.
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2017-01-20 , 07:14
Changes remote batteries daily. Has an entire thread named after her.

Morning all

Just to clarify, I'm concerned mostly with channels 101, 102, and 103.

For example: Currently on 102, Deutschland 83, on Saturday nights, and the Real O'Neals on Friday nights (final tonight) have no repeats. Also the foreign language movie screened on Sundays, no repeats.

On 103 I set a back up recording for Emerald City on a Sunday night. This weekend's repeat has been dropped for a music special. Given I cannot record the premiere on a Saturday because it clashes with Deutschland 83's only screening, and the weekday repeats clash with long established recordings, if CU does not download this week, I'll have a lot of juggling to do
Old 2017-01-20 , 11:45

@Madcat Thank you for your post. Deutschland 83 and the Sunday 21:00 movies have high age restrictions and for this reason we are not able to repeat it during the day. Also, note that the channel 102 opens from 18:00 and ends at 05:00. So, with an already bumper to bumper schedule, there is no way we can repeat all shows. More so the movies as there are no two hour gaps on the schedule itself. Scheduling could find another spot for Deutschland 83 but then it will mean that one of another series repeat will have to fall away which might also be one of the repeats you depend on.

The Real O'Neals, remember that it has replaced American Horror Story and AHS was usually repeated on a Sunday but now with the two hour movie scheduled at 21:00, the schedule has lost an hour instead. This is basically why there is no repeat for the Real O' Neals. Scheduling will try and see if we can make another plan but all I know is that some may lose their additional repeats.
Old 2017-01-20 , 12:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Portia View Post
The Real O'Neals, remember that it has replaced American Horror Story and AHS was usually repeated on a Sunday but now with the two hour movie scheduled at 21:00, the schedule has lost an hour instead. This is basically why there is no repeat for the Real O' Neals. Scheduling will try and see if we can make another plan but all I know is that some may lose their additional repeats.
I think most people will be happy with 1 fewer repeat of one program to accommodate at least one repeat of another.
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2017-01-20 , 12:12

@Krugie, you say that now. But I don't agree.
Old 2017-01-20 , 12:15
Changes remote batteries hourly

An idea - why not put repeats of the less age restricted M-Net series on M-Edge during the day, so allowing for more repeats of the naughty stuff from either channel to be on M-Net in the later hours...

The software should be able to handle that, same as the 101 & 901 cooperation manages to.