Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > DStv Products > HD PVR > Lip Sync fix for Pace HD PVR (4-tuner)

Old 2010-05-17 , 11:13
Still listens to the wireless

Angry 5.1 Audio sync problem again - only on HD

Hi, I noticed that after the latest update I am experiencing an audio sync problem on the HD channels again - the funny thing is that the audio sync lag differs - if I switch to the family audio (stereo), the sync problem disapears, when I switch back to surround, there is sometimes really bad lag. Alternating between the two "language" tracks sometimes helps, but it is really becoming anoying! - . Setting the lag in the system settings, does not help and makes the problem worse.
Old 2010-05-17 , 13:01
Changes remote batteries daily

I know you do not what to go there, but this has been covered in the 50 page post on the new software update. Everything you mention has been confirmed by others subscribers, and was introduced on the last software update.

The quick fix for now ... the audio sync issue seems to only be when taking the sound from the HDMI connection. If you take the coax or optical connection from your HDPVR to your amp, that should sort you out until Multichoice can update the software.
Old 2010-05-17 , 13:34

Thanks ABII - Back to the old ways again with optical then - LOL
Old 2010-05-18 , 15:08
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABII View Post
The quick fix for now ... the audio sync issue seems to only be when taking the sound from the HDMI connection. If you take the coax or optical connection from your HDPVR to your amp, that should sort you out until Multichoice can update the software.
Not neccessarily, I have constant synch problems on HD with both coax and optical sound.
Old 2010-05-18 , 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psynapt1k View Post
Thanks ABII - Back to the old ways again with optical then - LOL
i was of the opinion this was the best way to link a sound system??

silent witness
Old 2010-05-20 , 12:45

...before yes, now we have HDMI which also carries the digital sound component.
90cm dish; LMX502 ; Explora as Primary in lounge, HD-PVR2 in flat; XV heartbeat via RF outs; Samsung 60LED7000 via HDMI and Sony 42" 576p panel via composite; Flat has 32" Hi-Sense. Denon AVRX1100 configured for 5.1; Sony BluRay; WD media player; All using HDMI/optical/coax.
Old 2010-05-21 , 08:53
Still gets up to change channels

After trying various connection methods this is what I have found:

1. The lip-sync problem is on HDMI, Digital Coax and Optical outputs but not Stereo L+R. It is confined to the digital sound outputs.
2. If non-surround sound is selected i.e. English Original then there are no lip sync issues. This is on all channels, HD included but excluding Discovery HD.
3. If surround sound is selected i.e. Surround is set to Auto then any channel that is broadcasting in surround sound will have lip sync issues. This was evidenced on MM2 as well. If the channel is not broadcasting in surround sound then there are no lip sync issues.
4. Discovery HD does not have a sound track option and always broadcasts in surround sound and therefore always has lip sync issues.

This issue has only been happening since the May 5 software update.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Richard; 2010-05-21 at 08:56. . Reason: Spelling
Old 2010-05-21 , 11:36
Knows how to use a remote

I also experienced lip sync issues on Discovery HD (ch172) last night while watching 'Rides'.

I use optical and normal RCA to connect my decoder to my receiver. I can confirm that the issue exists with both optical and RCA composite).
Old 2010-05-21 , 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
This issue has only been happening since the May 5 software update.
In other words, since the whole VOD gimmick was launched? Isn't there any way they can let the consumer elect to activate / de-activate the "feature".

Personally I don't use VOD (why do I need to watch a repeat of a repeat of a repeat...), but now my system is permanently "On" (i.e. chowing even more power whilst recording catch-up series) and now there are these constant, annoying issues with sound sync...

I even went through the whole reboot (several times) and got MC guy on the line who took me through the Facotry Reset. I thought that solved it, but figured out it only worked because the Surround Sound option is no longer automatically selected.

What next...

PS - using Optical from the HDPVR already
Old 2010-05-21 , 16:04
MultiChoice

This issue has been logged and is getting attention.

Tags
dstv, hd pvr, lipsync, multichoice, problem